Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 gs750es Push start doesn't work, no spark on spark plugs but everything works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 gs750es Push start doesn't work, no spark on spark plugs but everything works

Hey there guys need help with my bike, it's a 1983 gs750es.

Let me tell you how it all began. Two weeks ago I went for a short ride, bike ran well, when we got back my bike just suddenly died, everything was working lights horn everything but it won't start, I can hear the starter motor trying to turn but that's it, so we thought meh the battery must be bad and needs replacing, so for the mean time we charge my battery for a few hours, the following day we connected the batter and the push start doest work, so I was like what the hell is going on here, checked all the fuse and none was popped, so I just jump the starter relay to check if it will start and it did, so I thought the push start might just needed some cleaning so I went on my, I notice the bike is not running like its supposed to it's weak the fastest I can run is 35mph so what the hell is going on I kept thinking why untill I reach my girls place then we had rain for a few hours and my bike was outside, when I was about to go home the bike won't start even if you jump the starter relay, check the fuse again non was popped check the battery it's still good, removed one spark plug grounded it to the cylinder head and jumped the relay, starter motor works great but no spark check all spark plugs all has no spark and this plugs are just a month old, plug the boot with a screw driver no spark, I had to have my bike tow back home.

When I got back home cleaned the push start button and kill switch, got a new battery, replaced the starter relay just to be sure, double check headlight, dash, horn and signal lights are working, tried to jump the starter relay again to see if it will work now guess what nope

Saw trick checking if electricity is flowing to the ignition coils, so I tried that, so I put a wire on the plug that you connect to the coil and hover it a few mm away to the cylinder head, no spark, I haven't checked the stator and the igniter unit but from what I'm seeing could it be its the igniter unit that's the problem? Or there's just a grounded wire I'm not yet finding?

Any help would be great guys I love this bike
    1983 GS750ES

run a ground wire from one of the selinoid mounting bolts directly to the battery negative
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Eidollan,

Good that you checked for spark.

Do you have a volt meter to use ?
      Check voltage at the org/wht wire at the coils. Report to us.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
        Eidollan,

Good that you checked for spark.

Do you have a volt meter to use ?
        Check voltage at the org/wht wire at the coils. Report to us.

I do have an old volt meter not sure if it's still working but I will check and will let you guys know

Thanks
        1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          run a ground wire from one of the selinoid mounting bolts directly to the battery negative
          After doing that what should I be checking for? Liek should I try starting using the push button or should I check if there's gonna be spark?
          1983 GS750ES

Comment

THere is something I am not understanding about your description.
            Maybe my misunderstanding is related to what you mean by
            Originally posted by Eidollan View Post
            .................................... and the push start doesn't work, ......
            You mean pushing the bike in gear then popping the clutch (what I thought "push start" would mean).....
            or ... you mean pushing the starter button...?

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

THere is something I am not understanding about your description.
              Maybe my misunderstanding is related to what you mean by

You mean pushing the bike in gear then popping the clutch (what I thought "push start" would mean).....
              or ... you mean pushing the starter button...?
              Yeah sorry about the Confusion been awake for more than 24hrs when I posted this so my mind is kinda loopy... Yeah I mean pushing the starter button.
              1983 GS750ES

Comment

.. Yeah I mean pushing the starter button.
                Oh....

If the solenoid doesnt even click:
                - Do you know about the clutch interlock switch? Need to hold in the clutch lever (even if in netural), and teh cltuch swtich needs to work. THE swtich can be adjusted some by loosing mounting screws (dont dissassemble, lots of little parts to fly out) and moving forward or back. If you want to bypass the swtich (I suggest not) you can find the connectors in the wiring, disconnect and plug the two in bike harness together.

- Other problem could be the ground on the battery box (that others have mentioned without describing). THe soloneoid is grounded thru its mounting to the battery box, but sometimes the battery box is not well grounded. Is suppose to be a blk/wht ground wire from the bike harness at the solonoid mounting bolt, but sometimes that blk/wht wire is not a good ground, so many folks sugest adding your own ground wire there. (could test this if had a working meter).

- On the solenoid, see the little wire that is soldered to a connection there? Try jumping 12vdc to that to get the solenoid to kick in. If it doesnt, then either the soleoind is not working or the soloniod mounting is not grounded.

(THis discussion is about the "push button" not operating the starter. THe "no spark" is a complete other discussion.)

Comment

Hi, hopefully you can get your bike running soon. Like Redman said, you have two problems. About the no spark, again like Redman said , I would remove the tank and confirm +12 V ish at the orange/ white wire at the coils, red lead on O/W wire , black lead on the battery - with ignition switched on. This reading should be only a little lower than your battery voltage. If you have no or low voltage, you will have to trace the problem back. This will be easier with the tank off. If you don't see anything obvious check the ignition switch and kill switch for voltage loss/ drop. If your readings are good (+11.5 V) and up, I would got back to getting the starter button working it's easier to check for spark with a working starter or you don't feel like removing the tank , you can work on the starter problem first and maybe the beast will start. Good luck
                  1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Oh....

If the solenoid doesnt even click:
                    - Do you know about the clutch interlock switch? Need to hold in the clutch lever (even if in netural), and teh cltuch swtich needs to work. THE swtich can be adjusted some by loosing mounting screws (dont dissassemble, lots of little parts to fly out) and moving forward or back. If you want to bypass the swtich (I suggest not) you can find the connectors in the wiring, disconnect and plug the two in bike harness together.

- Other problem could be the ground on the battery box (that others have mentioned without describing). THe soloneoid is grounded thru its mounting to the battery box, but sometimes the battery box is not well grounded. Is suppose to be a blk/wht ground wire from the bike harness at the solonoid mounting bolt, but sometimes that blk/wht wire is not a good ground, so many folks sugest adding your own ground wire there. (could test this if had a working meter).

- On the solenoid, see the little wire that is soldered to a connection there? Try jumping 12vdc to that to get the solenoid to kick in. If it doesnt, then either the soleoind is not working or the soloniod mounting is not grounded.

(THis discussion is about the "push button" not operating the starter. THe "no spark" is a complete other discussion.)
                    Yeah the clutch the clutch interlock switch has been removed long time ago bike runs even if you don't pul the clutch... I'll check the other things you mentioned thanks man let you know what I get
                    1983 GS750ES

Comment

Here's what I got when I checked the leads from the ignition coil

[Img] http://imgur.com/gallery/38dT7cs [/Img]
                      1983 GS750ES

Comment

. . .]
                        Does meter zero out? (ohm scale like shown, touch leads to each other, does meter go to zero? can adjust to zero?)
                        Last edited by Redman; 12-08-2020, 08:57 PM.

Comment

[Img] http://imgur.com/gallery/38dT7cs [/Img]
                          As per posts #3 and #9 you should be measuring volts, not ohms, at the orange/white wire feeding power to the ignition coils.
                          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Does meter zero out? (ohm scale like shown, touch leads to each other, does meter go to zero? can adjust to zero?)
                            Yes it does... Omg the wiring of this bike is a mess I just notice that some wires are connected to some wires that it shouldn't, I think I got to get a new wiring harness for this bike or get a wiring diagram and rewire this bike ugh I hate rewiring lol
                            1983 GS750ES

Comment

I think I just found the issue, my stator is grounded. While getting my head how I would clean up this mess of wires, I just thought of checking the condition of my stator... And I think I found the issue. I zeroed my multi meter put it on ohms lowest setting, put the lead to the yellow wires from the stator put the ground from my multi meter to the ground of the batter guess what it has connection to each and every wire, check if the wires of the stator has continuity and there is for some reason I decided to open my stator cover and check the ground there and its grounded

[Img] https://imgur.com/gallery/rvzF6n8 [/Img]

I guess its either time to replace the stator or rewind it and check if that fixes my issue
                              1983 GS750ES

Comment

Working...
                              X