Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1983 gs750es Push start doesn't work, no spark on spark plugs but everything works

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good to hear your getting somewhere. Too bad about the stator , I was hoping it was something simple. If you have not read the stator papers, I would suggest it. There is a lot of excellent info. Does the stator stink and insulation look burnt ?
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Yeah I know, I was hoping it would be just simple but yeah it's always never simple lol... Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out
      1983 GS750ES

Comment

ah.....
        we seem to have three conversations going on here, and getting confused between them.
        Talking about ignition system, talking about charging system, talking about using meter.

Stator problem will effect battery charging system, and not directly effect ignition not sparking.
        (well unless battery voltage is way low).

FOr the no spark condition: first measure voltage at the org/wht wire at the coils. If that is low, well, then need to find why.
        If it is low at coils because battery voltage is also low, well, then need to check the charging system.

For the no spark condition: can measure the ohms of the coil(s).
        (I thought that is what you were doing in your photo.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
        GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          ah.....
          we seem to have three conversations going on here, and getting confused between them.
          Talking about ignition system, talking about charging system, talking about using meter.

Stator problem will effect battery charging system, and not directly effect ignition not sparking.
          (well unless battery voltage is way low).

FOr the no spark condition: first measure voltage at the org/wht wire at the coils. If that is low, well, then need to find why.
          If it is low at coils because battery voltage is also low, well, then need to check the charging system.

For the no spark condition: can measure the ohms of the coil(s).
          (I thought that is what you were doing in your photo.)
          Checked the voltage on the org/wht wires it didn't read nothing also the ohms shows nothing OL
          1983 GS750ES

Comment

I'll let the spark alone for now, i want to focus on the start botton, I want it to work first before moving to the others... So far here's what I have done, I traced the wires from the kill switch and start button, no melted wires or anything wires are fine, checked push button for continuity, if not pressed no continuity if press I has continuity same with the kill switch, traced the wires again going to the starter relay check the continuity all good but I still decided to replace the starter relay, still no response from the start button like there is no power, traced the wires again that goes to the igniter unit wires seems fine checked for continuity, none, but I'm not sure how to properly check that, decided to check the ignition switch, when I turn the key everything on the dash lights up everything works so I'm assuming there's no problem with it except for the start button, the safety switch on the clutch has been disabled so the bike would start even with out pulling the clutch, but I'm not sure about the side stand if the bike would start even if the side stand is down but I tried having it down and up still no response and the side stand indicator on the dash doesn't go away all I know it would go away when the engine turns over.

I'm checking the wiring diagram for the 1983 gs750e and I'm seeing a gr/ylw wire that has a starter disconnect switch that runs from the starter button to the starter relay but when I search for that on my bike I can't find it
            Last edited by Eidollan; 12-10-2020, 02:59 PM.
            1983 GS750ES

Comment

Use one side of a set of jumper cables. Put one clip (of the same color) on the metal spark plug body and ground the other clip to a good solid place on the motor or transmission. The ground wire from the system to the transmission would be a good place. Connect the plug wire to the spark plug. If the starter will not work, hold the power wire to the coil, to a build up a magnetic field, and remove it while watching the spark plug. It should spark when the magnetic field collapses. That is an odd starter solenoid you showed in your picture. Suzuki used a solenoid with a metal body grounded to the isolated electrics mounting plate. Your solenoid is plastic, that is why it is hooked to the solenoid with odd wiring, so there is a return wire to pick up the solenoid. You might want to check continuity through that white plug for each wire with it disconnected from the circuit. There are two wire splices there, where the different colored wires are joined. If one is bad that would put your starter out of commission.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by OldVet66 View Post
                Use one side of a set of jumper cables. Put one clip (of the same color) on the metal spark plug body and ground the other clip to a good solid place on the motor or transmission. The ground wire from the system to the transmission would be a good place. Connect the plug wire to the spark plug. If the starter will not work, hold the power wire to the coil, to a build up a magnetic field, and remove it while watching the spark plug. It should spark when the magnetic field collapses. That is an odd starter solenoid you showed in your picture. Suzuki used a solenoid with a metal body grounded to the isolated electrics mounting plate. Your solenoid is plastic, that is why it is hooked to the solenoid with odd wiring, so there is a return wire to pick up the solenoid. You might want to check continuity through that white plug for each wire with it disconnected from the circuit. There are two wire splices there, where the different colored wires are joined. If one is bad that would put your starter out of commission.
                Thanks man I'll try that... Yeah I was thinking about that starter relay, I looks different from the other bikes that I had and I know its not supposed to be like that
                1983 GS750ES

Comment

If it turns out to be ignighter or signal generator and if you have a mechanical advance or can put one on from an older model a Dyna-S ignition for about $160.00 would replace everything.
                  '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eidollan View Post
                    .......but I'm not sure about the side stand if the bike would start even if the side stand is down but I tried having it down and up still no response and the side stand indicator on the dash doesn't go away all I know it would go away when the engine turns over.....
                    Sidestand swtich does not cut out the starter, nor does it cut out the ignition. All it does is light a light on the dash.
                    THe sidestand LIGHT also comes on with the low oil, kinda like a backup to the oil LIGHT.

I'm checking the wiring diagram for the 1983 gs750e and I'm seeing a gr/ylw wire that has a starter disconnect switch that runs from the starter button to the starter relay but when I search for that on my bike I can't find it
                    What is called "disconnect" or "interlock" on the schamatic for the starter button- solenoid circuit is the clutch lever swicth (that you say has been bypased).

. . . . . traced the wires again going to the starter relay check the continuity all good but I still decided to replace the starter relay, still no response from the start button like there is no power, traced the wires again that goes to the igniter unit wires seems fine checked for continuity, none, but I'm not sure how to properly check that, decided to check the ignition switch, when I turn the key everything on the dash lights up everything works so I'm assuming there's no problem with it except for the start button, .......and up still no response .......
                    Good you have a voltmeter. That is a better tool for checking electrical problems than is your eyeballs and ears.

Meter on volt scale (VDC, 20 or 50 volts). Check for voltage at the solenoid, red lead to the thin wire to solenoid, balk lead to ground or batt neg. With Ignition swtich on, kill swtich in Run, press the start button. If no voltage when press the start button, well, need to check and see where do have it and where are loosing it. If is voltage but no solenoid click, then lets try it with the black lead on the solenoid mounting bolt..... report to us.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I had an 83 with similar wiring issues... Just be methodical & you'll get there The stator is the same as a lot of the other GS's & also some Kawasaki's and I think the SV & Vstrom so you should be able to find something. There is also a member here that rewinds them & does a great job.

Couple of well known issues on that bike are: RR (regulator/rectifier) very weak! You should replace it as it will fail if it hasn't already. Tach / Rev gauge - it's electronic & often goes bad becoming erratic. There is really a fix for that.

Some inspiration.... Mine looked like this by the time I was finished:

GS750ES-GSXR by salty_monk, on Flickr
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Sidestand swtich does not cut out the starter, nor does it cut out the ignition. All it does is light a light on the dash.
                        THe sidestand LIGHT also comes on with the low oil, kinda like a backup to the oil LIGHT.

What is called "disconnect" or "interlock" on the schamatic for the starter button- solenoid circuit is the clutch lever swicth (that you say has been bypased).

Good you have a voltmeter. That is a better tool for checking electrical problems than is your eyeballs and ears.

Meter on volt scale (VDC, 20 or 50 volts). Check for voltage at the solenoid, red lead to the thin wire to solenoid, balk lead to ground or batt neg. With Ignition swtich on, kill swtich in Run, press the start button. If no voltage when press the start button, well, need to check and see where do have it and where are loosing it. If is voltage but no solenoid click, then lets try it with the black lead on the solenoid mounting bolt..... report to us.
                        Checked it had the positive on the solinoid and negative on the battery have the kill switch to run it shows 12v when I press the start button no click on the solinoid and no voltage change, same when I put it on the negative on the selinoid

1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          I had an 83 with similar wiring issues... Just be methodical & you'll get there The stator is the same as a lot of the other GS's & also some Kawasaki's and I think the SV & Vstrom so you should be able to find something. There is also a member here that rewinds them & does a great job.

Couple of well known issues on that bike are: RR (regulator/rectifier) very weak! You should replace it as it will fail if it hasn't already. Tach / Rev gauge - it's electronic & often goes bad becoming erratic. There is really a fix for that.

Some inspiration.... Mine looked like this by the time I was finished:

GS750ES-GSXR by salty_monk, on Flickr
                          Yeah I notice the rev guage goes erratic when I was riding and I pass 6rpm it will just go everywhere and sometimes even loose its accuracy like running 30 mph on 3rd gear but the rev guage is at 7k rpm or 8k rpm it doesn't match the rev of the engine
                          1983 GS750ES

Comment

Checked it had the positive on the solinoid and negative on the battery have the kill switch to run it shows 12v when I press the start button no click on the solinoid and no voltage change, same when I put it on the negative on the selinoid

To clarify: You have meter red on solenoid thin wire (which is from start button) (grn/yel I think) and meter black on solenoid mounting bolt (or solenoid body), reads no voltage until push the button, then when do push the button get 12vDC (about same as battery voltage) , but get no Solenoid click.
                            Well, if so, then, the bike starter button and the wiring and solenoid ground are all doing there job. But the solenoid itself is not.

But, Before condemning the solenoid, just to be sure we dont have a problem with the solenoid ground, try running your own ground wire from the solenoid mounting bolt to battery negative, even if only temporary for a test, and see if get solenoid click then.
                            Last edited by Redman; 12-16-2020, 06:18 AM.

Comment

Checked the voltage on the org/wht wires it didn't read nothing also the ohms shows nothing OL
                              I did it wrong the first try (I got to stop this late night work)... Rechecked it red meter wire to the positive thin wire that goes to the starter button, black meter wire to the selenoid mounting bolt when I pressed the stater button, nothing, 0V re tested it 3 times maybe I got a false reading but no it's still zero voltage before and when pressing the starter button
                              1983 GS750ES

Comment

I did it wrong the first try (I got to stop this late night work)... Rechecked it red meter wire to the positive thin wire that goes to the starter button, black meter wire to the selenoid mounting bolt when I pressed the stater button, nothing, 0V re tested it 3 times maybe I got a false reading but no it's still zero voltage before and when pressing the starter button
                                Okay, good description.

You might also try what you did with black on the mounting bolt, again, but make sure you scratch the black lead into the bolt a little bit.

What you did proves that SOMETHING is wrong - electrically (as opposed to a problem with solenoid itself).
                                To further narrow it down, Lets try what you did again, but this time, have the black meter lead on the battery negative (instead of solenoid mounting bolt). If do get 12vdc that way, this will make us suspect a problem with the solenoid grounding.

Report back to us.

Comment

Working...
                                X