No announcement yet.

Coil packs, replace one or both?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I test the cap and wire setup? Am I pressing the starter button with the cap unplugged from the spark and seeing what it reads? Or am I taking it completely off and doing something else?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      How do I test the cap and wire setup? Am I pressing the starter button with the cap unplugged from the spark and seeing what it reads? Or am I taking it completely off and doing something else?
      Not while trying to run engine.

Twist cap off the wire.
      Measure Ohms (resistance). Meter on Ohm scale. Test the meter itself by touching leads together, should read Zero. THen to test the cap, One lead into each end of the cap to make contact. SHould be about 5K (5000). As the cap goes bad it can be 10k or 20k or 50k or 100k then goes completely open infinity and readthe same as if leads are on nothing.
      Replacement caps are less than 5 bucks each. Do go bad with miles and heat.
      Also look to see if can see the "conductors" at the end of the wire. If suspect, cut end off about 3/8".

Yes, NGK.
      THe two inside caps are different part number from the outside two. Only so the inside are longer to reach, and outside shorter so dont have knee against it.
      Last edited by Redman; 12-14-2020, 09:03 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Am I completely taking off the wire from the coilpack aswell?

If needing replacement, are NGK plug caps reputable and is the wire 7mm thick with the tubing?

This is kind of a PITA so be careful. If you try to pull the wires out of the coil you'll find them glued in with epoxy. If you manage to get the wires out, it's difficult to clean out all the insulation from the wires and leftover glue in the hole, so the new wires will fit. Also, The little spike in the center of the hole is easy to damage if you're not careful. Gluing the new wires in needs to be done with care as not to get any adhesive on that spike too, while still using enough to get a water tight seal.

The wire I used to do this was 7mm from Auto Zone and I used a plastic weld epoxy followed by a high temp RTV to make sure it was sealed well.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Okay so, testing two plugs. Multimeter is set on the horseshoe setting at 20k, tested cap 2 and 3 and in getting readings of 11.2 and 11.86, now does that mean 11 thousand? If so I guess I know what it is now.

Testing by putting one feeler in the cap and other feeler on other end of cap, swapped feelers and same reading. Gonna test 1 and 4 and they've never been tooken off.

Okay so 4 is testing at 10 which is still bad but a bit lower, I tried to test one because 1 burns very well, I cant find a resistance on it? Its obviously different from plug 4 so it's some other cap but I cant get a single reading
          Last edited by timebombprod; 12-14-2020, 04:45 PM.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Okay so, testing two plugs. Multimeter is set on the horseshoe setting at 20k, tested cap 2 and 3 and in getting readings of 11.2 and 11.86, now does that mean 11 thousand? If so I guess I know what it is now.

Testing by putting one feeler in the cap and other feeler on other end of cap, swapped feelers and same reading. Gonna test 1 and 4 and they've never been tooken off.

Okay so 4 is testing at 10 which is still bad but a bit lower, I tried to test one because 1 burns very well, I cant find a resistance on it? Its obviously different from plug 4 so it's some other cap but I cant get a single reading

Yep, your caps are due for replacement. As explained very well by redman, they must either read around 5k or close to zero.

It's "either" because the spark plugs themselves may have an integrated resistor as well - combining them with a resistor in the spark plug cap isn't advisable unless your ignition system is in tip top shape. Hence, you should measure the resistance of your spark plugs too to know what you have.
            #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
            #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
            #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
            #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I think the caps are the same as the 850 if so then you need
              Ngk plug caps. 2 X XB05F-R NGK PLUG CAP

use 2 each - NGK XB05F and VB05F.
              The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
              1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
              past bikes. RF900
              TL1000s
              Hayabusa
              gsx 750f x2
              197cc Francis Barnett
              various British nails

Comment

Working...
              X