82 gs650gl header interchangeability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

82 gs650gl header interchangeability

Hi first post here I have recently acquired a nice running 82 gs650gl. I'm looking at making a cafe racer out of it and was wanting to go with a 4-1 exhaust. Unfortunately it seems the only 4-1 available for the 650 is the mac header. I don't like the look of the pipe and really would just want the header and would add the pipe I prefer. but they do not sell the header seperat. Witch leads me to my question there are a few options for 4-1 headers for 750s and 850s. how close are they to the 650s headers. If I were to bend and tweak a 750 or 850 header could I get it to work on a 650 if not I guess ill have to fab one from scratch thanks.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2020, 10:37 PM.

The 550 and 650 share the same exhaust port spacing. The bigger bikes use a totally different cylinder spacing so cross that off your search list.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would not be surprised if the pipes for the 750 and up bikes are a bit taller.
      Put them on a 650, they will hang lower below the frame.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks looks like fabrication it is.

Comment

I bought a used set of OE headers off ebay, with the intention of modifying the pipes to suit my need for my build. Might be easier than trying to fab a set of headers from scratch

Comment

I've been pondering this idea but not sure how well it will work or look untill I take it appart and do a mock up.

Comment

I have the mac exhaust and over had it for a while, good exhaust and the finish is fine just dont get gas on it (exhaust leak spewed gas when i first pressed start button) and it sounds good too. With the header and putting a pipe on could the 650 headers be used for that? I know they're separate from the muffler.

This is mine
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Also a really hood pair of handlebars to swap with the wrist cramping GL bars is honda cb400f bars, I got a pair for 30 bucks online
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

Agreed the bars that come on this bike suck I've had a couple other bikes with similar bars and they had to go asap. I was thinking clipons or a bar like you mentioned haven't decided yet. And the mac exhaust sounds good its just the pipe I don't like the look of for the bike I want to build. if they would sell just the header that be awsume.

Comment

Originally posted by ss27gogeta View Post
                    Agreed the bars that come on this bike suck I've had a couple other bikes with similar bars and they had to go asap. I was thinking clipons or a bar like you mentioned haven't decided yet. And the mac exhaust sounds good its just the pipe I don't like the look of for the bike I want to build. if they would sell just the header that be awsume.
                    Yeah I got you it's more a sport looking exhaust than a cafe, unfortunately they weld the whole thing together so it's one piece, have you seen if the gs headers could be used to put a muffler on? I'm guessing you'll need atleast two of them to be longer, and a good but of fabrication being it's not just a slip on and done.

The bars I chose look great and keep it looking period correct, but to each their own. honestly if you're a taller guy the clip ons might be more comfortable, as the K and Q seat keep you up close, I'm 6"1 and I still could use a bit more distance between me and the bars but after I initially get on the bike I dont notice it at all.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

received_133210261659118.jpg

I wish I could put the other photo on this reply aswell...
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Snapchat-1935215378.jpg

Other picture better front end picture
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Your bike looks to be in good shape I hope mine looks as good after I polish her up. the chrome and seat are in good shape on mine and the tank is coverd in dust.

Comment

Aslong as the chrome shines a good clean and wipe down with the right stuff should make your bike look nice, if I'm honest 5 feet away you see the hundreds of small scuffs on the tank, also it was spraypainted black when I bought it lol.

Just make sure to use plenty of water when removing the dust!
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              The 550 and 650 share the same exhaust port spacing. The bigger bikes use a totally different cylinder spacing so cross that off your search list.
                              Nessism does your comment imply that a full exhaust from a 650 (8v) could be used on a 550 (8v)? Or are the mounting points towards the passenger pegs in different locations? The pipes on my 550T are pretty good, but I'm looking for options if something cleaner comes up.
                              Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Working...
                              X