Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starship

Default Starship

Surprised there's no discussion about this yet, hopefully we can not go vortex with it, but SpaceX very nearly NAILED the starship hop-n-flop yesterday.... Pretty impressive engineering on display with those folks....
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

I've been following the Starship development progress. It's a somewhat incredible design, shape and intended goal. They seem to make each of the progress goals.
    Bummer is most info has to come through homey DIY reporters on youtube.
    I can't give a cynical opinion, after viewing all the failures of the V-1 and V-2 programs. Not to mention all the failures during the lifetime of NASA.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    I can't give a cynical opinion, after viewing all the failures of the V-1 and V-2 programs. Not to mention all the failures during the lifetime of NASA.
    They should quit outsourcing their flight software development to Boeing....
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100

1982 GS450txz (former bike)

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it" ~ Upton Sinclair

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Well, it almost landed... I really do like the realism of their approach. They have been quite open throughout of the value of failures. Blowing up a prototype doesn't mean you failed and have to stop and investigate and blame for five years before moving on; it means you learned some very valuable things about how NOT to blow up the next one. Or maybe you can blow it up in a different way and learn something else. That's how science and engineering work.

And they're actually building and testing real things instead of just running simulations. There have been way too many engineering failures in every field caused by over-reliance on simulation.

The sheer speed at which they're iterating and developing is astonishing. They're way beyond the competition.

Before too long, SpaceX and Starlink are going to make that funny little electric car company look like a popcorn fart.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

Model 299 prototype crashed and that didn't turn out too bad for the company in the long run.
    Failures are essential.
    80 GS850GT
    79 Z400B

That went way better than I expected. They would have nailed it except for low pressure in the fuel header tank. That lead to a lot of unused hot oxygen in the exhaust burning out some of the copper parts of the engine, which is what made that pretty green flame. I said all that just to quote someone's description of the situation as "engine rich exhaust".

I think they have a real chance of landing SN9, and parts of 15 and a booster have already been spotted. Somebody want to start a pool on when they can land one from orbit?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

You can bet they won't have the header tank pressure problem again! Fascinating stuff to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
    That went way better than I expected. They would have nailed it except for low pressure in the fuel header tank. That lead to a lot of unused hot oxygen in the exhaust burning out some of the copper parts of the engine, which is what made that pretty green flame. I said all that just to quote someone's description of the situation as "engine rich exhaust".

I think they have a real chance of landing SN9, and parts of 15 and a booster have already been spotted. Somebody want to start a pool on when they can land one from orbit?
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

And to think...... I'm still impressed with what a $500 drone will do

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by trent View Post
    And to think...... I'm still impressed with what a $500 drone will do
    Yep, the flight control software built into toys is amazing. Over on ADVrider, there are several folks experimenting with drones that can automatically follow them as they ride, avoid obstacles, change camera angles, etc. all while getting glorious high-def footage.

I'm even more impressed by what a $20 drone can do. Imagine what the Wright Brothers would think of a teensy widget you can buy for lunch money that not only flies, but that an eight year old kid can learn to control precisely and do tricks with in an hour or so.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

truth is, much of the same tech that makes $20 drones possible is what makes SpaceX possible. Meanwhile we still have a hard time reliably regulating and rectifying motorcycle electrons...lol
    1983 GS 1100 ESD