X-pipe.... what’s the deal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X-pipe.... what’s the deal??

I was searching today for some crash guards for the 11E and found this eBay listing for an expensive exhaust system. I checked it out and read the description, wondering why it cost about $1,000 if it’s gonna be painted with VHT...
    the description was A LOT of text (red flag) and had all sorts of questionable claims in it (flag).

the product was called the x-pipe, invented by a dude named Monty Campbell, and he claims it can do all sorts of magic to your bike. It’s “a bottom end pipe”, but will also Increase midrange power by 40%, while delivering better fuel economy. Amazingly, you don’t even need to rejet!! But don’t worry, if you already spent $600 ($600!!!!) on a jet kit, well that’s okay because this amazing pipe will work just as well if you’ve modified your fuel delivery....

the listing

the description

am I missing something???
    81 gs1100E
    81 gs550
    74 xlch 1000 custom
    03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
    76 honda cj360
    72 honda cl350
    2 green parrots

naw buy it its magic
    made my hair grow back though in all the wrong places

actually a long debunked product dubious sketchy
    does not deliver
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Monty's been around for decades. He used to overbore carbs, Maxi bore, which was shown to work
      And, for a time, Maxid Dwell, an ignition system

IIRC, both of those products got good reviews
      The X pipe, not so much
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Many threads on those pipes.
        2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

The X pipe crossover for a dual exhaust has merits and works well on a 4 cylinder bike engine.

"X-pipes tend to be higher-pitched and more raspy while H-pipes have a lower pitch and sound more like a deep growl. In terms of horsepower and torque, there are some differences. X-pipes tend to have better power while H-pipes have better torque, comparatively speaking."

I'd like to put one on both my Suzukis, mostly for the sound and look of dual exhaust.
          Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 12-10-2020, 11:30 PM.
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Over the years I have searched for independent analysis of the x- pipe and could never find a Dino comparison, utube or written review or anything other than the sellers propaganda except for various forums where people were asking the same question you are. You would think the seller would present performance data, I think pipe likely has its merits but would like to see data and hear it.
            1982 GS1000S Katana
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

The KZ650 had a standard H style for the B,C and F models. The D had a variation. 2&3 headers crossed over. I recall a claim that it improved mid range torque and they published curves to that effect in the factory manual.
              97 R1100R
              Previous
              80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                The KZ650 had a standard H style for the B,C and F models. The D had a variation. 2&3 headers crossed over. I recall a claim that it improved mid range torque and they published curves to that effect in the factory manual.
                I used to have a '77 KZ650C. I remember the crossover pipe. It was after 1&2 came together, and went to the other side after 3&4 came together.

The 650LTD had the header pipes crossed like you said. Looked more 'tangled' up front, but it put even-firing pulses out each muffler.

A couple of years ago, my son got a MAC header for his 1000G. It is a "tri-Y" header that brings 1&4 together and also brings 2&3 together, then finally brings those pairs together before going through a single muffler. Supposedly this minimizes the mid-range slump that is inherent in all 4-into-1 pipes. Sounds a little 'different', but has a pleasing note.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Increases low end power by 40%. Enough said. How could you believe anything ha said after that. Only way to get 40% more from a bolt on exhaust would be if the orig. exhaust was 80% clogged. Just my opinion. Dang 40% increase is huge.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Probably only gets that with Hyperbole gasoline.
                    ---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by pano View Post
                      Over the years I have searched for independent analysis of the x- pipe and could never find a Dino comparison, utube or written review or anything other than the sellers propaganda except for various forums where people were asking the same question you are. You would think the seller would present performance data, I think pipe likely has its merits but would like to see data and hear it.
                      mainstreamed bike mag did a test in tge 80s
                      1983 GS 550 LD
                      2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        Probably only gets that with Hyperbole gasoline.
                        And a 100 shot of nitrous. LOL
                        1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                          Probably only gets that with Hype gasoline.
                          Sorry, Grimly, had to fix that for you.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Sounds like I ought to just return it then and get my money back......

Lol jk
                            81 gs1100E
                            81 gs550
                            74 xlch 1000 custom
                            03 ktm 525 exc supermoto
                            76 honda cj360
                            72 honda cl350
                            2 green parrots

Comment

Maybe consider installing it, getting the bike tuned and getting it dyno’d. I think we collectively would like to know how it works because there is some mystery with that pipe. Would like to see some vids so we can hear it too.
                              1982 GS1000S Katana
                              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X