My first project bike - 1980 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first project bike - 1980 GS550

This past summer I got my first project bike, a 1981 GS550. I bought the bike for the main purpose of becoming mechanically savvy, but I also really want to ride the thing! I bought the bike already disassembled as a cafe racer project the PO decided to move on from. It's now my project.

I've loved working on it. I'm using a new area of my brain I don't in my daily work. It's awesome. But since I'm such a greenhorn I need some simple help in identifying different parts and understanding the rebuild process. I'm hoping that's where you all can help. I've looked through this fourm and I've seen tons of AMAZING rebuilds but by the looks of it there are some very experienced builders working on the bikes. Their starting level of knowledge and resources are greater than mine and I need some help building my basic understanding. I've spoken with people in my 'circle', but they are more car people. I'm always researching, looking at fourms, schematics, diagrams, etc but I have some questions these things can't answer.

My first, I'm assuming simple, question is about the swing arm bolt. I put it throgh the frame and it came out the other end too long! I'm 90% sure I'm using the correct bolt but I've been stumped as to why it seems too long. In my parts bags I recently found something that seems like it fits, but I can't seem to find the part listed on schematics or diagrams. Could you help me identify the part? Does it belong on the end of the swing arm bolt? What it it's purpose?

Any info helps!

Motorcycle 1.jpg
    Last edited by CafeRookie; 12-12-2020, 03:19 AM.

Here is another picture of the part from a different angle. What is this? Does it belong here? What's it purpose?

Questions Part 2.jpg

Comment

Congratulatulations on having started a project
      Have you taken the footpegs off? On my gs750 the bolt goes through a hole in the footpegs/bracket. When they are off, the bolt is too long.

Lars, Norway
      Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 12-12-2020, 07:27 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

And the part you're showing belong on the rear axle I think. You should go to BikeCliff's Website and download a workshop manual, much easier to see where everything belongs:

http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/ Scroll down the page for lots of tips and resources.

I would also advise you to sign up to a picture hosting site like flickr.com. Then you can embed pictures with better resulution. It's easier for people to see the the details in your picture if you do.

Secondly, if you aren't used to forums, don't take all comments seriously. Some people have no manners, and others have good intentions but don't know how to behave Most us of though, are awesome, helpful people

There's also some tips and "do these things first" in the forums, but I can't remember where..

Keep it up!

-Lars
        Last edited by LarsKroghStea; 12-12-2020, 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

The part you're holding goes on the rear axle, between the wheel and the caliper holder
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks for all who replied. You've been helpful.

My bike is a 1981 GS550TX.

What is the meaning of the (E-01) in the workshop manual? I wan to make sure I'm looking at the right information.

Thanks,

Caferookie

Comment

E01 is Suzuki-speak for 'General Export'. The specific code for the States is E03. It shouldn't make a lot of difference for you. You guys generally got higher bars than most, and different colour schemes to some markets. You may find some differences in the wiring, but these can be as small as a 5w taillight bulb for one market, and a 6w for another. If you need to cross-reference, try here: https://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gs550t-.../#.X9X909j7TIU.
              1980 GS550ET

Comment

You all have been more helpful than you know. Thank you so much! I'm planning on making some substantial progress on this project over the next couple of weeks. Thanks.

Comment

I'm not sure but you might have muddled up your test wheel spindle with the swing arm spindle. They might both be the same diameter but different lengths, so not obvious at first. If expect the test wheel spindle to be longer.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Just saw this posted in the 4 cylinder engine forum, shows swing arm spindle bolts through for test bracket, as suggested above: https://imgur.com/a/CGy8eOT
                    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.

Comment

Originally posted by LeT View Post
                      Just saw this posted in the 4 cylinder engine forum, shows swing arm spindle bolts through for test bracket, as suggested above: https://imgur.com/a/CGy8eOT
                      Hah! That's my bike, also an '81 GS550T.

For the OP, there is no such spacer on the swingarm bolt/spindle. You may have the correct spindle/bolt and the extra length is because you haven't mounted the part that then holds the passenger pegs and exhaust mounts.

Mine looked like this before disassembly.
                      swingarm bolt.jpg
                      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        The part you're holding goes on the rear axle, between the wheel and the caliper holder
                        I assume you mean here. Pic taken during disassembly, after removing the bolt and insert within the chain adjusters.
                        PXL_20201227_210759979.jpg
                        Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

You all have been so much help! I got my previous questions figured out thanks to all of you.

Now...my next question. There is a spring that goes with the rear break. The problem is that I don't know where it connects! I've been able to figure out where everythign else goes by looking at the shop manual and schematics. But I just can't figure out where the spring goes. I'm assuming many people on this fourm know. haha. A litlte help please!
                          Motorcycle Rear Break Spring.jpgThe spring I'm talking about is listed as #8 in the photo. Sorry if the photo is small. I'm still trying to figure out a better way to post photos. I know there are different sections written about 'how to post photos'. I'm looking into them.

Comment

Insert the greased brake spindle into the hole on the right side of the chassis. Now, hold the spring so the hooked end is forward, with the open end up. Mount it on the brake spindle. You will see a mushroom shaped tab on the chassis, the other end of the spring hooks on that. Install the brake pedal over the spring. When it's half way on, pry the hooked end under the brake pedal. Push the brake pedal all the way on and insert the bolt to tighten
                            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                            2007 DRz 400S
                            1999 ATK 490ES
                            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Hey! My project is coming along. I am leanring so much - it's great!

Do any of you have resources about how to connect the throttle cable, choke cable to the carburetor? I can't figure it out on my own (remember: I'm new to this) and I can't find any resources that say how to do it. I'm assuming it's a pretty simple answer.

My bike is a 1981 GS 550 T. According to the shop manual I'm looking at it says the carburetor is a Mikuni GS32SS.

Comment

Working...
                              X