Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS550L Carb Weirdness

Howdy,
    I picked up a project bike for the winter. This 81 GS550 has what I believe are Mikuni CV carbs the have a 35 or 36mm port on the butterfly side, but no marking I can find like VM34 or similar. The previous owner ran the bike down to empty before parking it for awhile. Took the carbs off, cleaned them(didn't replace anything). Now I seem to be flooding the cylinders(wet pistons after starting). I was able to get the bike to start after the rebuild, but immediately dies. Say start after a few cranks and dies in a few seconds, put camera down the spark plug holes and the pistons are wet with fuel. Any ideas or adjustments to check? The manual I got says the bike came with Mikuni VM22SS carbs, so I am a bit worried if they are a very different size, etc. Any help would be appreciated!

Mix screw: 2 turns out
    Main Jet: 92.5
    Pilot Jet: 40
    Stock intake/exhaust
    5000ft elevation

I'll include a picture of the Carbs when I get a chance

If you have a 1981 bike, you should have CV carbs. 4 x BS32SS to be precise. The only 550L fitted with VM carbs was the 1979 model. Your jets are the original ones. Rebuild guide here, if you need it. http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac/...d_Tutorial.pdf. Do you have the original airbox and filter?
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yes it does have the original airbox with a foam and mesh filter. I'll look closer at the shop manual I got, probably just looking in the wrong section.

Comment

Working...
      X