Airbox endcap gaskets questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox endcap gaskets questions

So, I thought the gaskets on my airbox's endcaps were worse than they actually are (one tiny tear I tried mending with 2 part epoxy). But what I'm discovering is that they're not identical - you can't swap left with right & vice-versa. Additionally, it seems that the left gasket has about 1" removed from the front & back inner side walls around the airbox filter housing (pic attach is currently failing me). The removed material appears deliborate from the factory, but I need confirmation.

Should the notches be there and if so, why is it removed (ie: what reason would there be to remove it only on the left gasket)? I don't directly see what benefit this has or any obstruction on the airbox that needs 'extra clearence'.
    '78 GS750E (currently undergoing TLC).

Are you asking about parts #6 and #7 on the schematic?
    Shop online for OEM Air Cleaner parts that fit your 1978 Suzuki GS750EC, search all our OEM Parts or call at 252-758-3084
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

AirboxSideGaskets.jpgWell, the gaskets that fit within parts 6 & 7, yes. Actually they're more like rubber boots.
      Last edited by 748cc; 12-19-2020, 04:12 PM. Reason: Added image.

Comment

Just added an image of what I'm referring to...the red circles show where the cut-outs are. Is this normal?

Comment

These gaskets are NLA, and if yours are somehow still in one piece, just toss them into the trash posthaste.

There are assorted successful strategies for sealing your airbox, but most of us use closed-cell self-adhesive weather stripping, Clean well, of course, cut the corners carefully, and you'll get a nice tight seal. And yes, weather stripping holds up just fine and lasts a long time.

Make sure you also deploy the foam so that the air filter element seals to the airbox correctly, too -- many people miss this. Again, clean the metal "cage" carefully, and apply the foam to the top and cut the corners such that there are no gaps. I usually smear on a coat of grease so I can slide the air filter element into place without tearing the foam.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
          X