GS450 Adventure-bike build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Adventure-bike build

2BE75F91-EF1F-431D-881E-BB51EED3DFFA.jpgI started with a little GS450e cafe bike and wanted an aircooled simple carbed light starting point. The 6 spd transmission and winding little motor is also a big plus. I chose a 2004 Honda CRF450r chassis to rob suspension and marry it to the GS frame. I eliminated the sub-frame and twin shocks. I converted it all to aluminum Honda and mono-shock. I had to extend the neck to make the Honda triple trees work. I kept the GS tank and used Kreem to seal it. I have added new VM30 Mikunis and a Mac 2-1 pipe which I altered to exit high. I currently have a problem i can’t figure out. The bike sat a long time. I had to free the clutch plates up. I do have spark at the plugs. I do have gas at the carbs. I do have compression. It won’t crank? I have a new hot gel battery. I did have to pull the starter, spin it, then put a hot battery on it to make it spin initially. Then i reinstalled it and it turns the motor over. No crank? Timing?
    Last edited by Gsadventurebike; 12-13-2020, 08:48 PM.

That's an interesting looking beast! A lot of work done too! I haven't worked on a twin GS but the timing is pretty easy to sort out on these bikes.

What year is your bike? You should stick your bike model in your signature on your profile. It helps the rest of us help you.

Do you have good voltage at the coils? You may have spark but is it strong spark?

Is it points or electronic ignition? If electronic the Ignitor box can go bad on these bikes (cure is usually a Dyna DS-3 or 2000).

What did you do to the carbs? If you haven't fully taken them apart & dipped them, blown through all the jets & replaced the O' rings (www.cycleorings.com) you are likely to have problems. Also if that bike has the O-rings on the intake boots you should replace those too.

properly timed spark, fuel & compression.. that's all you need
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Some useful links for you:

Suzuki GS motorcycles maintenance and information (GS850GT)
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
      X