Looking for a smaller battery!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a smaller battery!

I was Just wondering if anyone knew what CCA (cold cranking amps) I should Have to turn over my 4 cylinder 1980 gs550e-
    I’ve looked at any where from micro 12v batteries that don’t even say the cca, all the way up to the antigravity and shorai Batteries, I’m not trying to skimp out on a battery but would like to save it where I can! I’ve seen some that have had 50 cca and some more or less, I cant Find a number for my bike so if anyone knows what would work I would Appreciate it!

What is your incentive for a "smaller battery"?

And how much are you willing to pay for it?

Keep in mind that your bike is electric start only, so you will need to keep it in top shape so that it will start easily the FIRST time, if you go to a smaller capacity battery.

If you are trying to save weight, you will only be saving about 7 or 8 pounds on a 500-pound bike. Unless you are racing, you will likely not notice the difference. If you ARE racing, you likely have the wrong bike.

If you are trying to save money, a smaller, lighter battery might not be proper, either. If you simply choose a smaller battery, say, for a moped, you will have 12 volts available, but maybe not enough to start the bike. By the time you get one large enough to handle the starter, you are going to be within a couple pounds of the stock battery.

My recommendation is to stick with the stock size, but definitely upgrade to a sealed AGM battery. Note that "AGM" is a construction type, not a brand name. One popular battery here is from MotoBatt.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Bike batteries are normally measured in AH. I wouldn't go under 10AH. The smaller the battery the less backup power you have. There are some lithium ion batteries that are both small and powerful, but they are $$$$
      1981 GS1100E
      1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I find from the Yuasa Catalogue that a 550 needs a conventional Yuasa YB10L-A2. ...about 10AH . from their graphic, CCA is about 100.

They say you can do better (~150CCA) with their "Maintenance Free" or "YuMicron"...but I don't think they sell Lithium types and none of the fancy ones they sell will fit exactly as well as the YB10L-A2...ie: be careful of which post is which to suit what your leads can reach...

All to say, I guess, download some catalogues and read them closely

Comment

Antigravity do one that is compatible.... they have a sale on at this time of year too Their new batteries have "jumpstart" on them (i.e. they won't go flat, the BMS cuts the power & you can get a last kick out of it by pressing a button on top).
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I picked up a Full Spectrum Lithium battery for my race bike. Yes it’s light and more importantly in my situation very compact. Went with an aftermarket rear subframe with only enough space for such a size. CCA’s is 210 and more than enough to spin the SV650 over and if I had to guess has more compression than my ‘79 850. Worth a look.

Seems like i’ve read that my charging system is not built for such a battery though. Someone more knowledgeable can comment on that.
            1979 GS850G
            2004 SV650N track bike
            2005 TT-R125 pit bike
            LRRS #246 / Northeast Cycles / Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersport

http://s327.photobucket.com/albums/k443/tas850g/

Comment

Someone more knowledgeable can comment on that.
              That'd be the guys that sold you the battery..I'd guess they are much more suitable now than they were...with their own internal circuits to modify the standard charging system's output

Comment

Seems to me we've been around the block several times already on switching to Lithium batteries and a regulator swap IS required.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

You might spend some quality time curled up with the list of Motobatt options and dimensions.

Motobatts are very high quality AGM batteries, and many have terminals on four corners to cover more applications.

The correct one for your bike is the MB10U
                  Using our powerful search engine, find the exact parts you need by refining your search by your vehicle type, make, year and model.

However, you can filter through the other options if you're looking for something smaller that still should do the trick if your carburetion and charging are 100% on point:

There are dimension and cost sliders on the left, and the batteries are listed in generally ascending order of size and capacity. Their MB10U is listed at 175CCA and 14.5Ah. The Yuasa AGM for that application is listed at 10Ah and 170CCA.

Exactly how far down the scale of capacity and cranking you can safely go is hard to say. I can say I've seen a GS1000 wearing a tiny SLA battery (the battery was in a tiny box attached to the swingarm; I think it was underneath), and it gave no trouble starting in several days of sporty riding in fall weather. But the bike was beautifully restored and perfectly tuned, so it sprang to life instantly as any GS should.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

As much as we like to talk about smaller batteries and such, the OP has not been back to visit this thread for 10 days. In fact, the "last activity" in his profile and this thread have the same time stamp, so he hasn't even logged into the forum since asking this question.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      As much as we like to talk about smaller batteries and such, the OP has not been back to visit this thread for 10 days. In fact, the "last activity" in his profile and this thread have the same time stamp, so he hasn't even logged into the forum since asking this question.

True but we're middle aged men, giving advice whether it's warranted or not is encoded into our DNA.
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                      1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                      LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                        True but we're middle aged men, giving advice whether it's warranted or not is encoded into our DNA.
                        Keep it coming! I learn something new every time I jump on here.
                        1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          Well put! I advise you to praise Bob.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Well put! I advise you to praise Bob.
                            Thank you.....
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Well, a peek at the thermometer shows that there ain't much better to do right now than pontificate on t'intarwebz.

Besides, maybe this discussion will demystify batteries a little and benefit somebody somewhere someday.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X