Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Instrument Cluster Making a Whining Sound.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument Cluster Making a Whining Sound.

I am new to this site, and still having a little difficulty finding where to go. I hope this is not a repeat thread. My speedometer on my 80' GS750 started acting wacko, jumping all over the place, while producing a loud whining sound from the top, front of the bike. I replaced the Speedometer Cable with a new one, but the whining noise is still there. The sound comes and goes with speed, stopping at very slow to idle. The speedometer started acting a little weird again. My guess is the problems lies within the Speed/Tach Housing. Any help before I take it apart again? I put a little grease on both ends of the new cable upon replacement.
    1980 GS750E
    1982 GS1100E

The problem is likely not in the cable, it's in the part that the cable turns.

The part that has the square hole that receives the cable rides in a bushing. THAT is what needs to be lubricated. Not sure, but I think it can be lubed without disassembly. You DO need to remove the speedo from the bike so you can see that area and apply some lube so it will drip in and saturate the area.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What you DON'T want to do, it spray anything in the spindle hole once you have it off the bike and upside-down on your workbench. I sprayed up in there with carb cleaner to try and clear any grit out. Bad Idea. It fogged my red and blue lenses over some of the lights on the instrument face. Maybe drip some 3 in 1 oil or similar in there, or work in some white lithium if you can. Not really sure what works best. I then used a broken end of a speedo cable in a drill and run in on reverse, to see if it loosens up, stops whining. I don't know of anything else you could use in the drill if you don't have a broken piece of square-end cable.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        I don't know of anything else you could use in the drill if you don't have a broken piece of square-end cable.
        A #1 square-drive bit (also known as a Robertson's bit) works just fine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I’ll have to remember that. Thanks Steve.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hope oil or grease will help. I wasn't that lucky. The rubber on the inner hub that turns the speedo had deteriorated. I found no fix other than replace the speedo. Mine was a Honda CB1100F, not a GS
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I used just two drops of sewing machine oil in an upside down instrument pod and it cleared up a slow and whiny tach.
              This was after replacing the cable proved unsuccessful.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                . . . . .
                of a speedo cable in a drill and run in on reverse, to see if it loosens up, stops whining. I don't know of anything else you could use . . . . . . . . .
                I have used Large wooden match stick. Is about right size. Can break it if not careful, but, hey, easy to get another.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by 69Rider View Post
                  . . . . . . . . .
                  Welcome to TheGSR.

Originally posted by 69Rider View Post
                  . . . . .
                  My speedometer on my 80' GS750 started acting wacko, jumping all over the place, while producing a loud whining sound from the top, front of the bike. . . . . .
                  Yah, the bouncing is usally the cable (er, um, the spinning part inside) needing to be lubed, and it could be about to break. So good that you got a replacement.
                  If you got something other than OEM, let us know if it last more than a few thousand miles.

Yah, the whining-rattling is usally the part right inside the gauge (where cable fitts in) needing lube.

I will also caution against getting too much liquid lube up too far inside the gage, else it might get on the meter face or glass.

THis all applies to the speedo and the tach.
                  Last edited by Redman; 12-15-2020, 07:00 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    A #1 square-drive bit (also known as a Robertson's bit) works just fine.

but Only in Canada! like Red Rose tea? at least it used to be the case- they are much better than phillips....Yes Robertson bit is good, but a large nail point can work too.or just file a nail filed or hammered squarish...

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I did replace the cable with a Motion Pro cable, hope it lasts. I was thinking along the lines of taking the headlight off again, and trying to lubed above the connection joint between the cable and back of the speedometer. I will try to keep it off the face of the cluster. Any particular suggestions for lube. Is WD-40 workable here?
                      1980 GS750E
                      1982 GS1100E

Comment

I read all the replies, and will give it a go. I am just starting the carb removal and cleaning process for my GS1100E, so I will be busy for awhile, mostly on the 1100, as I have pretty much fixed most of the problems on the 750.
                        1980 GS750E
                        1982 GS1100E

Comment

If it has to be oil, is gotta be watchmakers one.
                          GS1000G '81

Comment

or electric razor oil, sewing machine oil...any oil that is thin, ages well and is non-gummy...these seem to generally have no colour ... 3 in One electric motor oil is pretty good too for something easily available.
                            There's an endless variety in Oil Threads! :0
                            However, whining and grinding noises won't be fixed for long if at all and ...these instruments are put together using a grease, not an oil. Particularly at the wormgear and nylon odometer cogs.
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-19-2020, 12:49 PM.

Comment

So, let it be watchmakers grease...
                              GS1000G '81

Comment

Working...
                              X