Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pizza bakers?

I probably averaged 1,000 pizzas per week in the last half of the 1980s (manager for Domino’s). In later years I replicated the Domino’s process for use at a university cafeteria that I ran.

I learned to make it for home of course too - but they were all very similar to that late 80s Domino’s Pizza.

I could make the dough and be eating in 3 hours if needed, but the dough can be made earlier.

I didn’t twice bake - in fact, it bakes in maybe 10 min in a 500° oven (I use a little lower because we load it with cheese) and I use a preheated stone that I have had for years.

On a good day I can still twirl it on my fingertips or toss it in the air : )

Sometime in life the grandkids named me “Beeps” so when I make this meal it is dubbed “BeepZa®“.
    1983 GS1100E

2015 FJR1300ES

Quote Originally Posted by mriddle View Post
    I probably averaged 1,000 pizzas per week in the last half of the 1980s (manager for Domino’s). In later years I replicated the Domino’s process for use at a university cafeteria that I ran. I learned to make it for home of course too - but they were all very similar to that late 80s Domino’s Pizza. I could make the dough and be eating in 3 hours if needed, but the dough can be made earlier. I didn’t twice bake - in fact, it bakes in maybe 10 min in a 500° oven (I use a little lower because we load it with cheese) and I use a preheated stone that I have had for years. On a good day I can still twirl it on my fingertips or toss it in the air : )

Sometime in life the grandkids named me “Beeps” so when I make this meal it is dubbed “BeepZa®“.
    Oh, that was the best period for Domino's, too.

Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    I don't have any secret family recipe or anything like that. But I found a few recipes on the web. It sounds like something fun to do on a cold day at home. I think the sauce is the key to a good pizza, anyone have a good pizza sauce recipe? 
    Quote Originally Posted by storm 64 View Post
    Neither, Youngstown Brier Hill Pizza. Who am I kidding, I like all kinds of pizza! 

I need to ride over there some Saturday and try it out, just on your recommendation. I agree, there is no one good pizza. I feel bad for people who can only enjoy one kind.

Lately I'm into NY style. There's a local place here called Fratelli's that's been getting all my business. Unfortunately, they only have Coke products for beverages.

There was a period when I was experimenting with toppings every night. Just Boboli crust and whatever sauce I picked up at the store. Meh ingredients, really. I even tried a dab of peanut butter once. It tasted exactly like a dab of peanut butter on pizza. The flavors didn't combine at all. I also found out that it really is possible to have too much cheese on a pizza. People usually don't believe me, but it's true.

I don't take the time to make my own anymore. One of my favorite things to do is to go to the pizza place of the day, sit by myself and read while munching pizza.

Try dicing the pepperoni instead of slicing it. Thick strips work too. The thicker cross section holds some of hte juice in and you get the strong pepperoni flavor when you bite it.
    Last edited by Dogma; 12-18-2020 at 10:49 PM.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

When I made Pizza for employees - I would shred the pepperoni into long thin strips and add near the top so it would crisp a bit. Lot of folks liked that.
    1983 GS1100E

2015 FJR1300ES

Its funny hearing my uncle talk about pizza and pizza places in the 70's and early 80's in my home town.

all I can say it was a big thing back then, college town played a big part of that, he even has picture of all the pizza places , lot of neighborhood pizza places, lot of them were pick up or delivery only.

Uncle says they all did a lot of business. He says he still gets all nostalgic and emotional driving by places that were pizza joints.

Attached Images Attached Images

Nessism is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Hey Ed, I have thought about making my own peel ever since I put the wooden handle on the pizza knife I was given last year. Are you willing to share what yours looks like?
    Hi Scott,

The peel I bought wouldn't make much of a wood working project for you. It's got an aluminum paddle with wood handle. If you are looking for a project I'd make one of those old fashion type peels that are one piece wood or bamboo. From what I've read the wood peels are good with raw dough because it doesn't stick as readily as with a metal paddle. When hot the metal jobbie comes into it's own though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Been getting on the learning curve and making a tasty pie is easier than expected. The first dough batch was over kneaded but it still rose nicely and was tasty. Only issue was it was sort of rubbery and would only stretch so much without risk of tearing. I've learned to take what the dough is offering and not look back. My son went for the fully Monty and tried to make his own sauce from fresh tomato's but it was too wet. I took the left over sauce and dumped the chunks into a can of tomato sauce that had been seasoned with garlic, oregano, and basal and that's working out great. The steel plate slab is working great too. I smoked up the house some while seasoning it. Cooking at the ovens max temp of 550. Cooking on the BBQ is another option but I don't think it will get much hotter than that. A 900F pizza oven it's not, but good enough for our skill level I think.

Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Honing my craft! ...and loving the process.

My pie's aren't beauty queens but they sure are tasty!

It seems to be all about the dough. And there are lots of different formula, some of which are in contrast to the others. For example, some are aged in the refrigerator and others in open air. I think the open air type are better used quickly since they don't age well for obvious reasons.

I'm building on the peel these days with corn meal underneath which helps get the pie into the oven easier. Sometimes the toppings slide off but I'm getting better.

Anyway, it's been loads of fun. Someday I hope to reach the "competent" level...but not yet.

Have you heard of these ovens, Gozney Roccbox, I thought about getting one.

They run on propane or there is a wood fire box option

https://ca.gozney.com/products/roccbox

Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 02-23-2021 at 03:17 AM.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
    Have you heard of these ovens, Gozney Roccbox, I thought about getting one.

They run on propane or there is a wood fire box option

https://ca.gozney.com/products/roccbox

Looks awesome...but a little pricy. Have to admit too that I don't understand the advantage of a dedicated pizza oven. I understand that it gets hotter than hell but why is that better? I'm cooking in my home range with a 3/8" thick steel plate and the oven at 550F.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Looks awesome...but a little pricy. Have to admit too that I don't understand the advantage of a dedicated pizza oven. I understand that it gets hotter than hell but why is that better? I'm cooking in my home range with a 3/8" thick steel plate and the oven at 550F.
    Ed, they are a bit pricey for sure but look at the reviews (over 1,000 5 star reviews) and both people I know that have one, went bonkers after getting it by cooking every meal in it for days.

It's also portable so next camping/hunting trip for me will involve fresh cooked pizza and maybe venison backstrap steaks.

David.
    2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
    2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
    1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
    2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
    1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
    1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
    1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
    Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,