79 GS850 rubber seals etc for front calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 GS850 rubber seals etc for front calipers

Nobody said that restoring a 40 year old bike was going to be cheap but I just disassembled my front calipers and in looking up the seals etc needed I am looking at $122 US plus shipping at Partzilla or CycleParts Nation which equates to over $165 Cdn plus shipping.Apparently the axle dust seals are $10.60 each US and 8 are required amongst other bits and pieces.Does anyone have a link to a caliper rebuild kit that is good quality? IMHO over 10 bux each for 8 axle dust covers is robbery. Just wondering not whining.
    Last edited by Jonesz; 12-16-2020, 08:26 PM.
    Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
    1978 GL1000-naked
    1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
    1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

I found this listing on Ebay. Going to order 2 sets. Seller has sold a bazillion items with a 100% rating. Will take the chance, only downfall will be expected slow shipping but to be honest this bike has no place to go till next summer!
    TM is a trading arm of Powerhouse Automotive (UK) Ltd, based in Chesterfield, England. We are UK and world leaders in motorcycle brake caliper rebuild services and seal kits. one caliper Brake Seal Kits.

standard disclaimer appliesi I have no connection to the seller
    Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

I have used TRK seal kits and they are exelent quality Here

also tourmax are quality seals (made in Japan) have a look Here

Think it would be preferable to check if there is any difference between uk & usa models you can do that by looking at the microfiche on various websites.
      The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
      1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
      past bikes. RF900
      TL1000s
      Hayabusa
      gsx 750f x2
      197cc Francis Barnett
      various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
        I have used TRK seal kits and they are exelent quality Here

also tourmax are quality seals (made in Japan) have a look Here

Think it would be preferable to check if there is any difference between uk & usa models you can do that by looking at the microfiche on various websites.
        Thanks for the info but one link says "does not post to Canada" the other is for rear brake caliper. Good idea on checking for model differences. I had asked the seller that I had originally posted for info and he replied very quickly with photo's of the 79 and then 80 and later calipers to make sure I was ordering the right ones. The ones he has advertised to fit 79 are identical to the calipers on my bike.
        I have them now on order and waiting for the ship to dock in the colonies
        Appreciate the reply
        Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

The aftermarket KL brake stuff is not good. The piston seals are oversized. There are a few posts on here. No idea about the ones you've linked to. Maybe Hampshire Hog or Grimly will have some experience of them...

If it was me.. with that bike I would upgrade to the twinpot brakes. I would at least upgrade to late model square pad GS brakes. Those early GS brakes are atrocious...
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks salty_monk. Too late to change any plans my brake seal kits are on their way from 'jolly Old". Will post when they arrive re fit and quality. With Covid & Xmas not expected for about 3 weeks.
            Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Best of luck!
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
              X