Headlight coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight coverage

Hey everyone. Quick search of the forums doesn't show a lot of discussion on this topic.
    A few months back I was cruising down the highways on the San Bernardino mountains after a camping trip. The LED headlight I have is powerful, using a projector lens as well as a spreader to try to throw light both far and wide. Up to that point in time, the light has been great.

However, it got late and the sun set behind the mountains. I noticed in the dense twisties that I couldn't see much until my bike swept the curve, basically forcing me to slow down so I wouldn't outrun my visibility (problematic with people behind you).

Is this an issue you face with your bikes? Is it a problem with the headlamp itself? I'm thinking to add a small lightbar or something just to make a wider sweep of light, while being careful in its implementation not to blind oncoming drivers. Perhaps you all know of a better solution.
    1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
    1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Maybe but rule number one for night driving has always been to never drive faster than you can see
    sigpic
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

ANY light on a motorcycle that leans is going to be a problem in the curves.

Look at it this way: the headlight is angled down a bit to keep the light on the road. Simply leaning the bike over puts it pretty much at the same spot on the road. However, when going around a curve, the road is relatively UP from the angle of the bike, putting it severely out of the lit area. I have a TruckLite LED on all of our bikes. They do the same thing.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could go this way or glue a light to your helmet
        Citroen had the lights connected to the steering wheel a long time ago.
        Read our in-depth, expert 2019-on BMW R1250GS review on MCN - the adventure bike that still comfortably does it all.
        97 R1100R
        Previous
        80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I found a couple of novel ideas:

You mean to tell me everyone's just dealt with that pitch-black void? I mean even at lower speeds... I don't know if I would have seen a deer on the road with how dark it got on the mountain.

Hmm. I gotta think about this. Thanks for your input.
          1982 GS 450L aka Lil' Red
          1980 GS 1000G aka Big Red (Resto-mod WIP)

Comment

Anything mounted on the bike will just be more light doing what you headlight already does, like Steve said. You could put something on a camera gimbal to keep it level, but it'll still only point forward.

The Baja 1000 riders mount an ultrabright LED on their chin or cheeks. Of course, with a light on your head, you'll have to train yourself to be careful where you point it. It might be fun to ride the twisties with a flashlight taped to you head. I've only been in the woods on the bike after dark once. It was frustrating. I've just avoided it since.
            Dogma
            --
            O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
            '80 GS850 GLT
            '80 GS1000 GT
            '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Better than nothing - add light that show sideways a little

My 1983 GS850GL with a Trucklite installed and Superbright LEDs 2" work lights (12V) on the lower crash bars - So this is MY EXPERIENCE

Pay attention to the LOWER driving lights -
              Those are wide beam LEDs (30 degree) that will light up much of the side of the roadways at night -
              AND consequently the wider beam and lower placement will light around the corner -- a little -- better than the Headlamp alone -

Currently in the Stable :
              2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
              1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
              - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Hey, just wondering what the windshield specs are? I got a '79 GN and with those fabulous indicator lolipops either side, i'm unsure what'll fit? What's the make please? Cheers now!

Comment

Originally posted by Pastychamp View Post
                  Hey, just wondering what the windshield specs are? I got a '79 GN and with those fabulous indicator lolipops either side, i'm unsure what'll fit? What's the make please? Cheers now!
                  If you are asking about how well the TruckLite fits, let's just say that it's pretty much a plug-and-play drop-in to replace the stock light.

You have to disassemble all the headlight "stuff" that is attached to the chrome trim ring, but it's the same as replacing the stock light. The clear lens of the TruckLite will stick out about 1/2" from the chrome ring, but there are no other issues concerning the fit.

My wife's 850L (just one year older than Wingsconsin's) is wearing the same windshield. My son has a 1000G with a Vetter fairing and a TruckLite. My 850G(K) is just a little different, it has a Pacifico AERO fairing and a rectangular TruckLite. No issues with any of them.

Oh, forgot to mention, ... for those that have an "L" with the smaller headlight (your '79 850 is not affected), you will need to find a 7" bucket AND mounting ears for that bucket. If you just mount the 7" bucket with the stock "L" ears, they will be spread farther apart and put your turn signals at a funny angle.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by free99 View Post
                    Is this an issue you face with your bikes? Is it a problem with the headlamp itself? I'm thinking to add a small lightbar or something just to make a wider sweep of light, while being careful in its implementation not to blind oncoming drivers. Perhaps you all know of a better solution.
                    Motorcycles require countersteering to turn meaning the front wheel (and therefore headlight) are pointed in the opposite direction that the bike is turning. It has always been thus. The correction for that is called adaptive lighting. I know some expensive BMW models have it. To my knowledge only one company offers an after market product for most other makes. It's not cheap but if you do a lot of night riding it is probably a wise investment.

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                      Motorcycles require countersteering to turn meaning the front wheel (and therefore headlight) are pointed in the opposite direction that the bike is turning. It has always been thus. The correction for that is called adaptive lighting. I know some expensive BMW models have it. To my knowledge only one company offers an after market product for most other makes. It's not cheap but if you do a lot of night riding it is probably a wise investment.

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                      My 1983 GS850GL with a Trucklite installed and Superbright LEDs 2" work lights (12V) on the lower crash bars - So this is MY EXPERIENCE

Pay attention to the LOWER driving lights -
                      Those are wide beam LEDs (30 degree) that will light up much of the side of the roadways at night -
                      AND consequently the wider beam and lower placement will light around the corner -- a little -- better than the Headlamp alone -

My opinion -
                      Currently in the Stable :
                      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

My humble 2 cents worth is night time is really a bad time to push it through corners. Many animals come out at night, plus you cant judge the oncoming road conditions near as well with any lighting at night. You can work on the lighting, but no matter what you do reading the road is so important pushing it through the corners nightfall is an extreme handicap.
                        1981 GS1100E
                        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Very true ^^ If I can't see through the corner, I slow down in any case. Never truer than at night.

Comment

Working...
                          X