Barn find 1980 GS450L!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by levsmith View Post
    The only thing I can think of is somehow during riding the chain carried a rock inside that cover. Jamming a rock between the chain and that rod would more than likely bend it.
    A snapped chain will sometimes bunch up and wreck the casings, but in this case just bent the pushrod.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Got the old seal out and the new seal, smaller half of the push rod and the seal holder installed last night and everything is put back together. Unfortunately nobody in town has a filter for it so it had to be ordered. Hopefully I get to start it up on Thursday. That did give me some time to run a rag over it and get that 20 years of dust off of things. It looks like its going to clean up pretty well!

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      A snapped chain will sometimes bunch up and wreck the casings, but in this case just bent the pushrod.
      That's the only other scenario I could think of, but the chain is still good. I'll have to ask the neighbor if he remembers replacing the chain before this happened. Maybe it had been bent for a while and just finally popped the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by levsmith View Post

That's the only other scenario I could think of, but the chain is still good. I'll have to ask the neighbor if he remembers replacing the chain before this happened. Maybe it had been bent for a while and just finally popped the seal.
        It could have happened a decade or two back. Cheapskate owners often had chains snap, it got all the more exciting when it was a powerful bike, or one with rare (expensive) cases.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Okay all,
          Got another issue. I got everything buttoned back up and fresh oil in. I started it up to take a test drive around the yard, put it in gear and when I let out the clutch, nothing happened... I'll be the first to admit that I've never adjusted a motorcycle clutch before. I fiddled with the adjustment next to the clutch lever, I screwed it all the way in and the noticed there was friction on the clutch but still not grabbing. So I went to play with the adjustment on the chain cover and the nut and adjustment screw were rusted up. I ended up snapping the screw part so I need to order another one, but I have no clue what it is called and I cant seem to find it in the parts diagrams. Anyone have any idea? Now that I've done some research, I see there is a coarse adjustment under the cover, I should have started there. I learned my lesson on this one! Thanks for any help. Picture attached is not mine, but the same idea. I wish my bike was this clean!

Comment

What you're seeing in that photo there is the end of the clutch cable, so you just need to order yourself a new clutch cable to replace that.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              What you're seeing in that photo there is the end of the clutch cable, so you just need to order yourself a new clutch cable to replace that.
              Wow, yeah. I was overthinking that one! That makes complete sense now that you mentioned it, thanks Pete. Got a new clutch cable on order!

Comment

Alright, just an update to this thread. Everything worked just fine, so I'm going to list all of the parts needed. Hopefully it saves someone else the hours! If you have a 1980-1982 GS450 (maybe other bikes as well) with a bent clutch push rod (original part number 23100-44101, discontinued my Suzuki), it can be replaced by the 2 piece push rod used in the 1983 and newer GL's. Here is a list of all the parts you will need to switch it out.

23110-44111 Clutch Push Rod (engine half)
                23111-05A01 Clutch Push Rod (exposed half)
                09285-06011 Oil Seal
                23117-44102 Seal Retainer
                11482-44110 Clutch Cover Gasket

For instructions, I used the following youtube video. It's for disassembling, but it shows all the steps needed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPOfqNMDpIs
                Start at 17:20 to see how to get to the clutch. Stop at 22:52. There is no need to remove the clutch like what is shown after that point in the video. Remove your left side sprocket cover, remove the chain, the sprocket, then the seal retainer plate, tap on the sprocket side of the old push rod to knock it out through the clutch side, then finally remove the oil seal. At this point its time for reassembly. Put the 23110-44111 Clutch Push Rod inside the hollow shaft of the clutch, then button everything back up on the clutch side. Moving to the sprocket side, reinstall your new oil seal, seal retainer plate, sprocket and chain. Put a little oil on the new push rod shaft and slide it into the oil seal. It should butt up against the other half that you placed inside the clutch side. Reinstall your sprocket cover and check for clutch engagement. More than likely you will need to readjust your clutch. Start with your major adjustments at the spot behind the small cover at the 10:16 mark in that same video. If you need more help with clutch adjustments, there are lots of videos on youtube. Hopefully this helps anyone who comes across this problem in the future! good luck and happy riding!

Comment

Working...
                X