Where did my oil go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where did my oil go?

I left the bike in my granparents garage a few months ago, since its icy on the roads. Because of corona-virus and work I haven't been back to deal with all the things for the winter.

In the sight window there is no oil, I can't see any oil through the fill up hole. There is no stains on the garage floor.

Now I can't remember how much oil is in the bike. I might have taken the oil out for some reason.

I tried starting it, but it doesn't seem eager to start (I am assuming the gas from the carbs have evaporated or something?). The battery seems low (indicators doesn't indicate), but it has enough to crank.

Should I fill it up with oil, pull the vacuum hose, and let it run until its dry? Or just leave it as is and drain what I can? I need to get the clutch cover off for new springs and the other cover off for new gasket.

The oil and filter needs replacing for the summer season anyways. I need the tank off to POR-15 the inside.

Is it bad for it to be low in oil while just standing there? I don't have the rear wheel on, and I don't have room in the garage to move it.
    GS1000G 1981

Are you sure it's not totally full, above the glass? Clean oil is pretty transparent. But then again you said it needs to be changed so....

If there's no oil, it won't be eager to start. If it does start it won't run long. One member surprisingly made it to the end of the block before the engine seized.

A good fully charged battery is a must to start that cold engine. It may turn over but not have enoug juice to start it. Do you have a charger?

I like to get the engine hot before draining the oil. Stirs up the junk in the bottom of the pan and it'll drain out better.
    Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

If you have it on the sidestand, the oil will slowly drain over to the left side, making the sight glass clear.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Positive it isnt over the glass.

I tried charging the battery with a car charger, it said it was full after and hour or so but I think its wrong. I am going to get a smaller motorcycle charger and try again.

It is on the centre stand, my rear wheel is not here.
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

If in doubt, drop the drain plug. You can always put oil back in.
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

pull the sump plug. drain ifany is present. add new.
            i can't recall if centre stand gives bad reading as opposed to sitting on ground
            regardless drain plug obviates all
            1983 GS 550 LD
            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
              pull the sump plug. drain ifany is present. add new.
              i can't recall if centre stand gives bad reading as opposed to sitting on ground
              regardless drain plug obviates all
              I find it is sort of finnicky to measure no matter how it is. But I usually just fill it while on centre stand, run a bit and wait several minutes, and then fill back up to the line. When its on the ground it seems to be a bit inaccurate, but I just tilt it more to get a general idea of the oil content. But I can't tilt it on the centre stand easily (would probably be less disinclined to do so if it had a wheel on the back, if I drop it now I can't get it back up).

Draining and filling up seems like a sensible course of action. I wish there were more choices of oil here. I don't think motorcycle store will be open until after christmas, so then I can only get synthetic 10w40 for bikes. Most gas stations doesn't even sell diesel oil (only gasoline + diesel).
              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Correct way to check oil is on level ground & on center stand. For what you are doing just any oil is fine. Or spend a couple of $$ on your regular oil, pour it in till you see it in the window, doesn't need to be full. Set pet cock to pri. for 2 or 3 min. to fill carbs. then back to on. Then try to start with a good batt. car charger, 10 amp or less will work fine, leave charger connected while cranking for a little extra power.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                  (...)It is on the centre stand, my rear wheel is not here.
                  In which case you add oil until visible in sight glass before running the engine.

The engine doesn't care about having to no oil when just sitting around or waiting for repairs (why would it...?), unless you live in a corrosive environment or leave the bike outside exposed to the elements (in which case you'll have other problems).

(Sidenote: Simply "sitting around" however doesn't extend to decades. That's when conservation techniques and other measurements come in to play. Which clearly isn't called for here).
                  #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                  #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                  #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                  #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Correct way to check oil is on level ground & on center stand. For what you are doing just any oil is fine. Or spend a couple of $$ on your regular oil, pour it in till you see it in the window, doesn't need to be full. Set pet cock to pri. for 2 or 3 min. to fill carbs. then back to on. Then try to start with a good batt. car charger, 10 amp or less will work fine, leave charger connected while cranking for a little extra power.
                    I have an irrational fear of using the PRI, I used it once, and forgot it. Woke up to a puddle of gasoline.

I think my diagnosis of empty battery might have been wrong, my TSCU was filled with mud (I check if it inidcates to get an indication of voltage).

Originally posted by roeme View Post
                    In which case you add oil until visible in sight glass before running the engine.

The engine doesn't care about having to no oil when just sitting around or waiting for repairs (why would it...?), unless you live in a corrosive environment or leave the bike outside exposed to the elements (in which case you'll have other problems).

(Sidenote: Simply "sitting around" however doesn't extend to decades. That's when conservation techniques and other measurements come in to play. Which clearly isn't called for here).
                    I found some "Turbo Diesel Oil" in the garage, I believe it is 15w40. It only took a tiny bit so it must have been right under the window.

Aren't you supposed to do a ton of things for winter storage? I think it will be winter stored for 4 or 5 months before I can ride it again (in total, it has been stored for about 2 months now).
                    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                      I have an irrational fear of using the PRI, I used it once, and forgot
                      just put a quick 'Alarm' or 'Timer' on your phone. (they have phones in Norway right? )
                      1100 Katana / 1100 ES

pragmatic not dogmatic

Comment

Winter storage depends on your situation. It's been sitting for a couple of months? Should start up without much trouble using Pri. Get it going & let it warm up good (winter time 10 to 15 min. shouldn't overheat). How far to your grandparents garage. Should start it & let it warm up at least once per mo. to keep it starting without aggravation nor Pri. Once a week would be even better. Be sure fuel tank is completely full to prevent rust inside, & as you have found don't (Do Not) leave it on Pri.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

The windows can be tricky -- especially with clean oil and bad lighting. All good advise above. I'd let it drain completely overnight -- catch the oil for re-use if it's clean. Then refill it with exactly the amount the bike requires -- don't fill it until it shows up in the window.
                          sigpic
                          '77 GS550B
                          '78 GS550C

Comment

Hoboken...
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to run the bike all the time with the oil at the bottom of the sight window. You were just getting it up & going for now. Before getting it ready to go for next yr. drain & refill with new oil, to the full mark with bike on center stand & on reasonable level surface.

Comment

Working...
                              X