Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Whenever I'm scrolling on Instagram looking at suggested pages I always see photos of honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs, original or cafes that's the bunch of what I see. I get happy when i see a GS on a suggested page photo, and I've noticed that pages from the middle east seem to enjoy the GS alot.

Now I didnt live back in the day, so I dont know how it was back then, but I know that at least on social media the KZ and especially the CB steal the thunder.

Does this all have to relate with Honda having the first affordable four cylinder and Kawasaki bringing out the Z soon after?

Note: there was a German I believe who made a 4 cylinder bike before honda, looked very short and stubby and was a wheelie machine i assume, one of the photos of it is the front wheel being up. It was not a normal consumer bike though.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

Honestly I'm not even mad, it keeps the GS at a good price, and they handle well.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

I would say you nailed it because that's what I thought even before I read your view on why - the CB750 and Z1 just left such a huge mark. They were watershed bikes and the GS trod the same path, but as we know they are better!

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    Whenever I'm scrolling on Instagram looking at suggested pages I always see photos of honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs, original or cafes that's the bunch of what I see. I get happy when i see a GS on a suggested page photo, and I've noticed that pages from the middle east seem to enjoy the GS alot.

Now I didnt live back in the day, so I dont know how it was back then, but I know that at least on social media the KZ and especially the CB steal the thunder.

Does this all have to relate with Honda having the first affordable four cylinder and Kawasaki bringing out the Z soon after?

Note: there was a German I believe who made a 4 cylinder bike before honda, looked very short and stubby and was a wheelie machine i assume, one of the photos of it is the front wheel being up. It was not a normal consumer bike though.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by oldGSfan View Post
    I would say you nailed it because that's what I thought even before I read your view on why - the CB750 and Z1 just left such a huge mark. They were watershed bikes and the GS trod the same path, but as we know they are better!
    Maybe it's because suzuki brought out the GS right before the 80s, and people wanted to forget the 80s.

All jokes aside i probably did hit the nail on the dot with my reasoning but knowing about the katana being a huge thing, I would think its predecessor may get some recognition. Probably not how the autoworld works though that's why a mk3 toyota supra Is 5 grand while a mk4 is 50.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

The big Kat had impact but not sure sales followed. I sure miss mine! I still can't believe I sold an '82 Katana and '82 GPz1100, my two dream bikes. But I was moving overseas thinking I'd never return. Yet here I am back. Viva the 80's ... early 80's anyway. Bikes anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by timebombprod View Post
    Maybe it's because suzuki brought out the GS right before the 80s, and people wanted to forget the 80s.

All jokes aside i probably did hit the nail on the dot with my reasoning but knowing about the katana being a huge thing, I would think its predecessor may get some recognition. Probably not how the autoworld works though that's why a mk3 toyota supra Is 5 grand while a mk4 is 50.
    Tom

The big Kat had impact but not sure sales followed. I sure miss mine! I still can't believe I sold an '82 Katana and '82 GPz1100, my two dream bikes. But I was moving overseas thinking I'd never return. Yet here I am back. Viva the 80's ... early 80's anyway. Bikes anyway...

Those are two beautiful bikes, they're both so nice I couldn't favor over one based off their looks! Theres a guy here with a gpz900r, I wish he'd pull the dang tarp off it and let me nerd out over it.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XV750

Got a twin

I have a SZ1000 and a KZ1000R for sale soon....

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

You must have been afflicted with seller's remorse for ages after selling those! How do you live with yourself???
    Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Canary View Post
    You must have been afflicted with seller's remorse for ages after selling those! How do you live with yourself???
    I think oldGSfan has stood tall with that 11EZ turbo. Still, an '82 GPz1100! Now if it were green, that might be a more serious offense...
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

An old Cycle World article - https://magazine.cycleworld.com/arti...awasaki-kz7504

The CB750 I had was a Limited Edition I got thrown in on a trade, with a spare zero mile engine and perfect paint. I'd have much preferred an F model but hey, I made some good $ out of it. One of my lucky days indeed. It was a pretty bike but just felt too peaky and porky. Not a bad bike by any means but it was just not for me. The twin shock Kawi 750s (KZ, GPz) I rode hit the spot, plenty of power and very smooth. Here's pics in case anyone likes pics The KZ750 was free too, in Australia. It was sitting my brother-in-law's shed and I rattle-canned it with stuff I had on hand, orange (!).

Tom