Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Both of those bikes are amazing. Like many others here, I've only ever seen a few Kats in real life. I've owned a couple of GPzs, though, and they were fantastic bikes.
    Hey is your cb900f the one with high and low gear?
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by Killer Canary View Post
      You must have been afflicted with seller's remorse for ages after selling those! How do you live with yourself???
      I think oldGSfan has stood tall with that 11EZ turbo. Still, an '82 GPz1100! Now if it were green, that might be a more serious offense...
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I loved that GPz as it fit me so well, but I never felt confident in the corners like I do on the GS. It didn't have a natural balance to it, and neither did my '82 KZ1000J which is basically the same setup. But it had perfect ergos, a comfy seat, fuel injection that never gave me any trouble - I put in 1166 Wiseco pistons as it burned oil when I got it (for $500) and it had nice grunt and sound. Hit a lot of marks. The Katana was a torture rack even for me at 6'3". The guy I sold them to was shipping back to Japan, for sure. He hardly spoke English but his grin said it all.

For some reason I have had lots of '82 Kawasakis and Suzukis. I really wanted the ELR or Wes Cooley but the best I could do was the 1000J with the Cooley fairing which got stolen one fateful night in Athens Greece.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
        I think oldGSfan has stood tall with that 11EZ turbo. Still, an '82 GPz1100! Now if it were green, that might be a more serious offense...
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Just wondering, you had both the GS1000SZ & GPZ1100 at the same time. Did you ever run them against each other thru a 1/4 mi. Around here, the 2 Katana 1000's were about dead even with the 1100's of the day. We always wondered how.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            Just wondering, you had both the GS1000SZ & GPZ1100 at the same time. Did you ever run them against each other thru a 1/4 mi. Around here, the 2 Katana 1000's were about dead even with the 1100's of the day. We always wondered how.
            Cycle World gave the quarter-mile title to the GS in '80 and '81. The GPz won by a hair in '82; the mag said it was essentially a dead heat. The 2 valve GPz made a bit more HP, but the GS made more in the mid range, so was 'easier to ride fast.'

P.S. The '80 and '81 GS 'didn't create the visual excitement of the GPz.'
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Never timed them so I can't say much except 'similar' power.

I rode the GPz more, had it for a year longer and it was quieter and more comfy than the Katana. I could feel the GPz's extra oomph after I put in the 1166 kit, not a ton but nice to have. The Kat was not stock, with that Kerker and re-jetted, it was putting out great power but you needed to wring its neck a bit more. That very loud Kerker dissuaded me from opening it up WFO, it was just annoying to me and others. So in normal riding the GPz felt stronger.

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Back in the late 80's I had both a 80' GS1000ET ( still have it ) and a 80' GS1000ST. The ET was/is stock and the ST was modified with Mikuni 33 mm smooth bores, green coils, a 700 Lockhart oil cooler, Kerker 4 into 1 and was stock bore. obviously the ET would quickly accelerate from a traffic light but the ST departed the light like it had been "Cat shot". Quite difference between them, Both fun but preferred the ET.
                1980 GS1000E

Comment

Have you thought about returning the ST to orig. & swapping the the mods to the ET? Exact same bike but prices for the orig. ST are out the roof. GS1000SZ is a totally different animal....Hey, you got any pictures?
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Well no I didn't consider doing a swap like that mostly because one had been totaled out from under me by an impatient girl in a car. When the ET was replaced 2-3 weeks later I said I was going to wear this one out, as of today not yet. Not to mention the PO of the ST actually sawed off the passenger peg/muffler mounts on the frame because he couldn't fit the Kerker 4 into 1 on it, and the brackets went missing after that. Now I had thought that ST frame with those factory rear sets with the ET body pieces could be interesting. But that poor ST was sold a long time ago and ended up painted red and yellow, poor thing.
                    1980 GS1000E

Comment

Nuff said, we still like pictures.

Comment

A pic

OK Here's a shot of the ET in my driveway still stock, forty+ years of caretaking and 134K miles. Stay tuned.
                        Attached Files
                        1980 GS1000E

Comment

Pictures bring memories. I had one , that same color, don't remember how many miles, not near as many as on my "78". Really nice old bikes. 134K, kind'f like a Timex or the Energizer Bunny.

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                            Whenever I'm scrolling on Instagram looking at suggested pages I always see photos of honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs, original or cafes that's the bunch of what I see. I get happy when i see a GS on a suggested page photo, and I've noticed that pages from the middle east seem to enjoy the GS alot.

Now I didnt live back in the day, so I dont know how it was back then, but I know that at least on social media the KZ and especially the CB steal the thunder.

Does this all have to relate with Honda having the first affordable four cylinder and Kawasaki bringing out the Z soon after?

Note: there was a German I believe who made a 4 cylinder bike before honda, looked very short and stubby and was a wheelie machine i assume, one of the photos of it is the front wheel being up. It was not a normal consumer bike though.
                            The cafe crowd snuffles through the ads for four stroke twins and Honda has the strongest longest trail....

I sort of remember . I read all the mags during the 70s and Suzuki was right in there with the other two. My "keener" friend bought a new Suzi 4 (550? not sure)to replace his water buffalo...me I had a 74 CB350F....but as to why they all REALLY want Hondas especially twins, to chop up, guessing it's probably where one guy started and popularized the CHEAP "cafe build" thing with the handiest barn find...Suzuki doesn't show on their preferred "twins" radar. as they were mostly known for two strokes until they switched in the later 70s. Running out of Honda twins the second best are 4s...Note You don't see much excitement over two-strokes...

old Beemers and old English bikes are too "precious" to cut up, though of course someone somewhere has. Likewise, CX/GL500 ,Goldwing, water-cooled, shaft-drive ilk...the radiator is Not Cool in "The Build"
                            Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-31-2021, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              Honda was, of course, first to market in many categories (not just four cylinder bikes), and the first to demonstrate that motorcycles could be reliable and keep their oil on the inside. Their marketing was extremely well done, and I think the name "Honda" was also a factor; it's simple and doesn't sound nearly as "alien" or obviously Japanese as the others. Honda opened the door for the rest.

Kawasaki, of course, focused on developing the reputation for engine performance. Not just the KZ, but the insane two-stroke models as well. They were quite a bit behind in handling, including some infamous faults, but quite a few people didn't care about anything but quarter-mile times. Bold styling also played a large part for Kawasaki and Yamaha as well; people don't buy motorcycles to blend in.

Suzuki was the first to get all the basics of handling right. Frame construction, geometry, and ergonomics were light-years beyond the competition for several years. Styling wasn't as "in your face" as Kawasaki and Yamaha and they were perceived as a step behind on power as well for a while. Any doofus can yank a throttle open, but the advantages of ergos and handling were completely lost on a lot of people.

So anyway, I think those market positions from the '70s and '80s explain a lot of the lingering differences in appeal. If you were in high school in 1974 or so, you had a poster of the Z1 on your wall. That's the kind of thing that sticks.

Fast forward 30 or 40 years, and we find that Suzuki's GS models are extremely reliable, with far better handling and ergonomics than other vintage bikes. Once sorted out with a few basic upgrades, a GS can be flogged mercilessly for years and years, and is a joy to ride and live and travel with. Sure, modern bikes are more powerful and handle a little better, and ABS is a game changer. But if you know what you're doing, you give up very little in spirited street riding, reliability is just as good or better (and repairability is definitely better), and the ergonomics are far superior to almost any modern era motorcycle.

In all my experience, I've seen for an absolute fact that GS owners ride much further and faster than KZ and CB owners. There may even be more restored CBs and KZs on the planet, but I will guarantee that we are wearing out far more of the side treads of far more tires.

That was nicely said.

I particularly liked the point you made with " people don't buy motorcycles to blend in."
                              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

80' gs1000s

Well I found a couple of pictures, top giving a ride to one of my niece's, and the underneath picture is Moi commuting on my hotrod 1980 GS1000S. (I didn't butcher it I bought it that way ). A buddy of mine shot this pic while driving in his car.
                                Attached Files
                                1980 GS1000E

Comment

Working...
                                X