No announcement yet.

Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An old Cycle World article - https://magazine.cycleworld.com/arti...awasaki-kz7504

The CB750 I had was a Limited Edition I got thrown in on a trade, with a spare zero mile engine and perfect paint. I'd have much preferred an F model but hey, I made some good $ out of it. One of my lucky days indeed. It was a pretty bike but just felt too peaky and porky. Not a bad bike by any means but it was just not for me. The twin shock Kawi 750s (KZ, GPz) I rode hit the spot, plenty of power and very smooth. Here's pics in case anyone likes pics The KZ750 was free too, in Australia. It was sitting my brother-in-law's shed and I rattle-canned it with stuff I had on hand, orange (!).

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'd say there is a big difference in how a CB750K feels and how a CB900f feels over the road. I've ridden a '78 CB750 and it was a bit of a pig, but the 900f is a very nice handling, very quick bike with great road manners. I think Honda improved the breed exponentially with the '81 and up iterations of the CBf line.

An aside on aesthetics: The latter models of the CBf lineup were gorgeous.

Last edited by GS1150Pilot; 10-11-2021, 08:56 PM.
      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
      1982 CB900f

Comment

Yeah the 900F is a great bike and gorgeous, I agree completely. Especially in that livery. The extra cc's over the 750 must be just what the Dr. ordered, would love to have one.
        Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
        '79 GS100E
        Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Mine is in pieces, but I'm planning to keep it mostly stock other than a spin on that paint scheme, a Sargent World Sport saddle and a 985 kit and appropriate jetting (plus modern rubber and braided steel brake lines).
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

I note that Hondas and Kawasakis of the 70s and 80s seem to be more desirable than Suzukis (go figure)(not to us, obviously). But what happened to the Yamahas? They werent bad bikes, and I always thought the black ones were really good looking. Why does there seem to be no demand for these bikes today? I don't get it.
            Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
            1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
            1981 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
              I note that Hondas and Kawasakis of the 70s and 80s seem to be more desirable than Suzukis (go figure)(not to us, obviously). But what happened to the Yamahas? They werent bad bikes, and I always thought the black ones were really good looking. Why does there seem to be no demand for these bikes today? I don't get it.

i believe the handling was not up to par when they started competing with 4 cylinder bikes, and they were still making 2 strokes by the time 4 cylinders were all about so they were a bit late to the party. i know the xs650 and some of the xv line up are desirable bikes to get, billy joel sure liked the virago.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Virago ... shudder ... Some of the most aesthetically challenged Yamahas bore that name.
                ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                1982 CB900f

Comment

The Yamaha Virago, my friend had a Virago. He would make it backfire by killing the ignition then turn it back on then BANG. He did it one time, then the bike didn't run good after that. Here, he blew the carburetor out of the rubber manifold! Pushed the carburetor back in and he was good to go. 😃
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                    Virago ... shudder ... Some of the most aesthetically challenged Yamahas bore that name.
                    not a fan of the looks of anything after say about 83, the 750 i have looks pretty nice for the most part but once you hit the the mid 80s, oh boy... the vulcan and intruder arent too far behind as for their looks, but the virago really takes the funky cake.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                      The Yamaha Virago, my friend had a Virago. He would make it backfire by killing the ignition then turn it back on then BANG. He did it one time, then the bike didn't run good after that. Here, he blew the carburetor out of the rubber manifold! Pushed the carburetor back in and he was good to go. 

ive known a few people who rode viragos, they dont seem to differ too much, they ride the crap out of them, and then some more. didnt know you could do the killswitch thing with them.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Viragos were lovely. Beauty all the way.
                        1983 GS 550 LD
                        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

TV is broke, so I'm spending even more time than usual staring at Suzi. The SUZUKI decal on the tank looks...cheap. The KAWASAKI badge on my Z1 had 3 dimensions and color.

Remember the 327 badge on your '68 Camaro? Or how about the Z/28 badge? It was metallic, had color, and chrome, and depth.

My 11E's tank just looks cheap. That's why CBs and KZs are the popular ones.
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            TV is broke, so I'm spending even more time than usual staring at Suzi. The SUZUKI decal on the tank looks...cheap. The KAWASAKI badge on my Z1 had 3 dimensions and color.

Remember the 327 badge on your '68 Camaro? Or how about the Z/28 badge? It was metallic, had color, and chrome, and depth.

My 11E's tank just looks cheap. That's why CBs and KZs are the popular ones.
                            Just got back from flu shot and in the lot saw a nice 2000 Monte Carlo ambled over cos it looked super clean.
                            Then I saw the guy painted over badges and all

Yes the decals were cheaper easier to make the tank etc.
                            The badges always seemed to break. What was that pot metal expanding contracting at a different rate than what it was affixed to?
                            1983 GS 550 LD
                            2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
                              Then I saw the guy painted over badges and all
                              South of the border that's a federal offense.
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Your own fault Rob, you shouldn't have got such a new modern bike, the first 2 yrs the 1100E had the nicer looking emblems.
                                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X