Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you tell what's wrong from my sparkplugs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay so update for today, this probably wont make any difference in the fact that I will have to work on my carbs, but maybe it will help with where I should look?

This morning I ran the bike, no fuel dump when i started it but I had to turn the idle up a bunch to get it started and then slowly turn it down, no fuel dump and I tested my speedometer cable ( so I rode it like this) because a slowly more concerning whir, luckily it was the speedo cable.

THIS is what is possibly important to helping troubleshoot. My idle was high as it kinda is always, so I set.the bike up on its service stand during the ride while it was running to turn the idle down and as I went to turn it down, BOOM fueldump and the bike slowly, started going out, and died. I primed it up and put it on reserve even if it didnt need to be and got it back up, had to fiddle with the idle too obviously. No fuel dump when I set it back up in my garage on its service stand but it was also shut off when I put it up.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
      Are you ready for a smart azz remark? Screw a different bike to those plugs & they will be fine, no wait those are Autolites, probably won't be right no matter what bike is screwed to them...
      I'll take that and stick with it!
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

The only thing that's clear here is that your petcock is bad.

One failure mode is that the diaphragm has a tiny hole in it. The petcock still works fairly normally, but when running will draw fuel through the hole and into the vacuum port, dumping extra fuel into #2 and making that plug turn black.

Petcock rebuild kits don't work. Replace it.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          The only thing that's clear here is that your petcock is bad.

One failure mode is that the diaphragm has a tiny hole in it. The petcock still works fairly normally, but when running will draw fuel through the hole and into the vacuum port, dumping extra fuel into #2 and making that plug turn black.

Petcock rebuild kits don't work. Replace it.

I hope I can return for a defect, because it's been a little while and the OEM part isnt so cheap. Its probably been like this since I bought it but I was still working on other sections of the bike at the time
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

It's not much to go on, but your 2nd picture it looks like #1 is lean and #3 is rich. You mentioned the idle being high. Start looking for air leaks. And for sure, replace the petcock.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
              It's not much to go on, but your 2nd picture it looks like #1 is lean and #3 is rich. You mentioned the idle being high. Start looking for air leaks. And for sure, replace the petcock.

Mad
              I've thought it was like a cylinder turning on but honestly I've never checked for leaks on the bike I've replaced those intake boot o-rings and a good amount of the airbox hose clamps but like I said never checked!

I say cylinder because when it rises in idle it turns more so into a complete drone but with a faulty petcock I cant base it off anything i guess.

And the bike hasn't yet been finely tuned for the exhaust, it does have a stock airbox but this exhaust is pretty loud and open. The mains are 1 size up and that is where the power is GREAT but like any inline 4 cylinder peak horsepower is where it's always at
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
              X