battery vs concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery vs concrete

Many years ago, I was told to never place a storage battery on a concrete floor because it will drain the battery.
    Has anyone else been told this? Is it true? It never made much sense to me that it would do this, but I've always refrained from doing it just in case it's true. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
    1981 GS1100E

I think that came from yrs. ago, before batt. cases were made out of plastic. It doesn't affect today's batt's but I still set them on something other than concrete if possible.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Batteries used to be encased in pitch-soaked wood or rubber. Even at that, I can think of no good reason why that particular myth ever started.
      Suffice to say, it's a load of old tosh, and can be disregarded.

<edit to add>
      It might have been more to do with leakage and the effect on the concrete. Garages tended to have particular areas where batteries were tended to, and setting down batteries on the floor day after day would have led to some corrosion issues.
      Last edited by Grimly; 12-27-2020, 10:15 PM.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Both replies (so far) are hinting about problems with OLDER batteries. REALLY old, as in 40-50 years ago. Battery cases used to be made of rubber. Treated to be rigid and somewhat non-permeable, but the calcium in the concrete could leach through the pores of the rubber case and neutralize the acid. Even a piece of paper would stop that, but most used a block of wood or similar.

Today's batteries have plastic cases and the leaching is NOT a problem. Put your battery anwhere you want. However, if you have a standard "wet-cell" battery and are charging it off the bike, ... if it overflows, you might want to have something other than concrete under it. The acid will not do good things to the floor. It's better to have some cardboard or a piece of wood to absorb the fluid.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I never store batteries on the floor. I just don't.

...not for any tangible reason except maybe having them a bit higher saves lifting them that much more, but unreasonably, it just seems wrong. Maybe the temperature differential twixt "ground" and surroundong air but whatever...pallet height is minimum in my world.

Comment

Carpet, wood floor, then concrete - right here on the living room floor!

image.jpg
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Many, many years ago, I was taught that a battery set on a concrete floor was "neglected" by definition. A "neglected" battery will discharge over time. .02
              Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Interesting. My father always followed the not on concrete storage.
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

So did my dad, and he was a career Porsche mechanic. I think it was a carryover from his early days with British Leyland.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

It seems to be decided that this is old and outdated advice. I was told about this myself 40-45 years ago. Obviously, to make up for lost time, I should go out and remove all my batteries and set them on the (concrete) floor. .............mmmmmaybe not.
                    Last edited by zuluwiz; 01-01-2021, 04:41 AM.
                    Expecting the Spanish Inquisition
                    1981 GS850G: the Ratzuki
                    1981 GS1100E

Comment

Great idea!!! Get back with us & let us know how it worked out.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have some car-sized batteries in my shop on the concrete floor. No problems.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

LOL, this stupid old legend just refuses to die, doesn't it?

I once helped a neighbor kid with something on his truck. As part of the process, we had to remove the battery in order to reach something or other, I forget what.

I put the battery down in his driveway and went back to the task at hand. When I looked up to ask him to hand me a socket, he was standing there holding the battery.

Apparently, his grandpappy had told him the legend of the magic concrete electron stealing elves, and in his teenage idiot mind that somehow meant he had to instantly pick up the battery and hold it some distance away from the concrete so the magic electron elves couldn't get to it.

I could not persuade him to put it down or even place it on the grass or on top of something else so he could assist with the rest of the project. By the time I got things sorted out so that we could reinstall the battery, his arms were shaking badly and he had very nearly dropped the battery several times. He was even a little salty that I dared to place the battery on the driveway for even a moment, and that I disparaged his grandpappy's sage advice.

It is true that a battery placed on concrete and then left there for a year will be dead. The same would apply whether it's placed on plastic, wood, metal, glass, or rubber, or snuggled into a feather pillow under a climate controlled glass dome.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

"ancient wisdom" is oft corrupted through generations and so too, the context...It may be a wikipedic answer suits theorems of conflicting chemistry. But - batteries are heavy. If you've ever dropped a battery, you will forever after be especially careful on a concrete floor...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              I have some car-sized batteries in my shop on the concrete floor. No problems.

Concrete proof?
                              '82 GS450T

Comment

Working...
                              X