battery vs concrete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    . He was even a little salty that I dared to place the battery on the driveway for even a moment, and that I disparaged his grandpappy's sage advice.

You can be sure that when that battery finally died, he'd be thinking back to that episode and blaming you for its demise, even if it's ten years old by then.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
      LOL, this stupid old legend just refuses to die, doesn't it?

He was even a little salty that I dared to place the battery on the driveway for ev....
      Salt & Battery! LOL!
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by zuluwiz View Post
        Many years ago, I was told to never place a storage battery on a concrete floor because it will drain the battery.
        Has anyone else been told this? Is it true? It never made much sense to me that it would do this, but I've always refrained from doing it just in case it's true. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
        The story came from the AC Delco warehouses many years ago. Delco automotive batteries were shipped in a bottomless box that slid over the top of the batteries, cardboard touching both terminals. The box prevented the battery from shorting out if it came into contact with metal, and kept the new batteries clean. This type of box was pretty popular up into the 90's. In the Delco warehouse the batteries were stacked on the floor along a long wall in the warehouse, then there were several shelf's of batteries above the batteries on the floor. Every few days the floors were cleaned and the floors hosed down, the boxes on the batteries sitting on the floor would get damp. The damp boxes became slightly conductive and this slowly discharged the batteries with damp boxes. The corporate office at AC Delco figured out this problem, and they sent out notices to not place batteries in the warehouse on the floor because sitting them on the concrete was causing them to fail. That message without any technical information about the nature of the failure caused this concrete battery legacy. I have always called it the killer concrete theory, and challenged anyone sharing the killer concrete myth to technically explain to me how concrete could effect the battery. I never got an intelligent answer, is just does it is all I got. In the 70's an old retired gent that managed an AC Delco warehouse showed me a framed copy of this notice. He just hated it when some idiot chastised him for sitting a battery on the concrete at his shop. He passed on a few decades back, he was a laugh a minute, and a great automotive craftsman.
        1981 GS1100E
        1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Outside of normal use or abuse, there are two things that cause a battery to discharge on its own:

1) time
          2) temperature

While I could explain in some detail how lead acid battery chemistry works, for the purposes of this thread, suffice to say that the speed of the chemical reactions inside a battery are proportional to the battery's temperature. The lower the temperature, the slower the reactions happen. This is why cars start harder when it's cold out, and why older marginal batteries always seem to die on the coldest winter day.

However, because the chemistry is slower in the cold, the self-discharge rate of a cold battery is also lower in colder temperatures. A lower self-discharge rate means less topping-off while the battery is in storage and less damage to the battery over its lifetime. Bringing it indoors and leaving it sit for months without a battery tender is the worst thing you can do. As everyone else in this thread has mentioned, what the battery sits on is completely unimportant.

For my bikes, part of my winterization ritual is removing the battery, charging it up, and leaving it on the cold concrete garage floor over the winter. I buy AGM batteries so I try to remember to top them up once a month but usually I find they don't need it.
          Charles
          --
          1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

No mention of concrete specifically but my GS650 Owner's manual says to keep batteries off the floor, preferably on a wood shelf, and in room that doesn't freeze. I think I will keep doing this....

Comment

I store my battery in the bike all winter, connected to trickle charger.
              1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

I enjoyed reading those! Thanks folks, the AC Delco one is great!
                1996 GSF1200 — Pretty Much Standard.
                1983 GSX750ES — Cafe Racer Project
                1980 GS550E — 673 Conversion.
                1980 GS400 — Cafe Racer???

http://biketech7.blogspot.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                  I store my battery in the bike all winter, connected to trickle charger.

I did that in the past and I had trouble with the trickle charger/maintainers overcharging the battery after months of storage. It isn't discussed much but even slightly overcharging a battery for a long time can do damage to the battery. Now I use a battery maintainer on a timer. I have it set to run 1 hour per day in the winter. I have had much better luck with that as opposed to leaving the trickle charger on all the time.
                  1981 GS1100E
                  1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

I've looked for a maintainer that turns completely off when batt. is fully charged. Haven't found one yet. I'm using my reg. charger set on 2 amp. It turns completely off.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                    X