Blank canvas - '81 GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blank canvas - '81 GS550T

I've asked a few questions for my latest project, but hadn't yet posted a build thread, so here goes.

Starting point -
    • '81 GS550T with 8k miles bought at near donor price, not running,
    • Purchased with missing seat, side panels, headlight, and the usual mix of old tires, no battery, and likely clogged carbs
    • PO's had rattle canned the tank, fork lowers, front calipers, and fenders, which are now stripped leaving the blank canvas
    • Tank had a few small dents on RH side. They have been mostly popped out using PDR, but are not perfect. Good enough that I'm willing to leave bare metal rather than bondo and paint

The Plan
    • Get it running reliably. I've already had a few test starts, but it has a high idle. New carb & intake parts on order to fix likely vacuum leak.
    • Make it look decent, not a cafe racer but also not full resto
    • Leave the frame as is, no chopping or de-tabbing
    • Rusty bits will be de-rusted and/or painted
    • Leave tank and fenders mostly a bare metal with center stripe decals and clear coat. If someone has a good decal suggestion to cover the dent on the RH tank curve (i.e. not just a sticker bomb), I'll bondo it and cover it with a decal.
    • Not yet sure about keeping the factory signals or using a smaller aftermarket option. Prefer incandescent so i don't have to mess with flasher resistance.
    • Maybe use saddle bags for side panels. the T model is fairly rare and I haven't seen any side panels on ebay yet. I could probably fab something for the RH side, but the bulging battery on the left would be challenging to cover with sheet metal.
    • Brake calipers will be repainted basic black. brake pistons are in decent shape. will re-use the brake lines for the time being but may upgrade later.
    • Seat will either be a purchased T seat, if I can find one at a decent price&condition, or re-use a seat pan from an L and build up a seat. Some of the years & models seem to share the frame design and contact points.

Pics (linked to imgur. will add originals once I find forum instructions)
    Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like SteveCruickshank.

\

cODz8h.l.jpg

Brake calipers ready for paint

Last edited by sacruickshank; 12-28-2020, 09:41 AM. Reason: gets images in thread
    Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Looks like you’re off to a good start. See the link in my signature about using Imgur.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
      Looks like you’re off to a good start. See the link in my signature about using Imgur.
      Thanks Rich. I've now tried the imgur options. looks like the images are still uploading, so we'll wait to see the final results.
      Current rides: GS650L, GS550T, GL500, GL1100, Bonnie, Triumph Adventurer, Guzzi California

Comment

I see 9 pics added to post #1. Looks good
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I've restored a few of these T's - I have a bit of a soft spot for them as it was my first bike "new" in 81. There's a 550T seat on Ebay right now for $100 plus shipping. I states it is not ripped/torn. The price is a wee bit high but they're hard to find. If the seat pan is not rusted out it would be a good one to grab. It's dirty by the photo but a few squirts of Armor All (or equivalent) and they look fine. Side covers come up from time to time on eBay as well. Replacement covers for this seat are available from Pit Replica's. They're great covers and for this model they fit very well.

Lots of great advise on this site for rebuilding the carbs which will be an important step along the way. I think I saw a post that stated you were getting new O-rings (and plugs/stoppers?) these will help a lot. The carbs are a bit of a pig to get off and on with this model ... take your time

Good Luck ... looking forward to seeing the pictures/updates!
          GS550T 1981
          GS850G 1983
          GS650G 1982
          GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Looks like a good starting point. You can upgrade that brake to a larger rotor & twinpot caliper if you want more stopping power.

Either way I would not be re-using those old lines.. you can bet that they probably have 1980 stamped on them somewhere..... (They usually go bad on the inside first).
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Yeah, I quickly found that seat on ebay. It's about an hour away from me, so likely heading up there today to take a look and grab a few other parts. I'm not spending $100 without either seeing it in person or more pics. The pan could be rotted out.

The carbs have already come off, cleaned, put back on (wow, what a bear!), tested to find continuing high rev, then pulled back off. New intake manifolds and 2of4 carb-airbox boots arriving any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                Looks like a good starting point. You can upgrade that brake to a larger rotor & twinpot caliper if you want more stopping power.

Either way I would not be re-using those old lines.. you can bet that they probably have 1980 stamped on them somewhere..... (They usually go bad on the inside first).
                Thanks for the brake ideas. I'll stick with the original caliper and rotor, should be enough stopping power for my lightly 50mph max speed local roads. And def stronger than the sponges on my CB350. I'll look into new lines when it gets closer to roadworthiness.

Comment

Given your decision to go with a bare metal look, why not leave those ripples in the tank, as they are battle scars that add character.
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

An hour up the road ... that doesn't happen that often - good for you! My luck the item is usually in Norway or further ...

Manifolds/boots have come down in price in recent years, new ones are worth the money.

Happy New Year!
                    GS550T 1981
                    GS850G 1983
                    GS650G 1982
                    GS650G 1982 Under Restoration 😳🏍👍

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.humbucker View Post
                      An hour up the road ... that doesn't happen that often - good for you! My luck the item is usually in Norway or further ...

Manifolds/boots have come down in price in recent years, new ones are worth the money.

Happy New Year!
                      The ~local source provided a good solution for an OEM seat, tail light, and headlight ... all in respectable quality. Bonus points for also scoring a few parts for a simultaneous CX500 project. Def worth the trip.

If any Boston area forum members happen to visit Powerhouse Cycle Salvage, bring a flashlight/headlamp and warm clothes if in winter.

Comment

CX500s are cool bikes.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          CX500s are cool bikes.
                          Yeah, so are mopeds and fat chicks! 😅
                          My Motorcycles:
                          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                          79 1000e (all original)
                          82 850g (all original)
                          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
                            Yeah, so are mopeds and fat chicks! 
                            To each their own ... or if you prefer ... whatever gets you through the night.

Comment

Awe, I can't knock the CX500. My buddy had one and that thing would start every Spring time. He did very little maintenance on the motorcycle. The starter solenoid would stick from time to time. If he gave the left side cover a good hit, it would work. Kind of like the Fozzie and the Jukebox thing. I would give Bob my old tires. He'd say "they're better than what's on there now". Good ol' Bob. rip Bob.
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Working...
                              X