Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Opinion Please: How do you define a restoration?

Default Your Opinion Please: How do you define a restoration?

Many of us have different definitions of what a "restoration" is. Curious as to how you all come down on the issue. This really can be for anything really but I am specifically talking about vehicles.

I have a close friend who inherited an early model Blazer that had been in the family for 50 years. He shopped it out for a restoration and ended choosing a guy in Texas at a cost of approx. $40K.

This shop does not rebuild (restore) the original powertrains on these, they swap out for late model engines / transmissions which of course requires fuel injection, new electrical setups, gauges, computers, etc. My friend likes this approach as he believes, and I am sure he is correct, it will make his Blazer a more drive-able vehicle.

My issue, or rather opinion, is this will not be a daily driver for him, it will likely not get a lot of use like so many restored cars & trucks. It will be a nice garage queen. It's essentially, at the bones, not going to come back as the same old Blazer. Personally if I want an old truck then I want it to be an old truck. I want it to run well and look good and be as sound as possible but I don't need it or want it to be like my late model Silverado. I want it run like it should have run in its era. I am the same with motorcycles. I ride old cycle because I like old cycles. Newer technology is better in most aspect, no question, but I ride old because I like old. If I ride a good ole' GS but I really like a late model Bandit then I don't try to convert the GS, I just buy a Bandit.

What say the collective?

I agree with that great philosopher Sly Stone; "Different stokes for different folks."

Here in the bike world we'd call what he's doing a resto-mod, although with bikes the mod part tends to be focused on suspension rather than the motor. And personally I mostly agree with you, I'd rather have an old bike that restored to original condition than one that's been modded, even if the modded one is functionally better.
    But that's me. In your buddies case, his truck, his money, he gets to decide. The only time I'd have an issue with it is making irreversible mods to an extremely rare vehicle. But an old Blazer doesn't qualify on that score.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

earlfor is online now Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

To my mind, a restoration is a restore to exactly what is was on the showroom floor when it was made. Anything else is a modified vehicle. Depending on preferences and wants, either may be a better choice than the other. Your friend has a rebuilt vehicle, not a restored one.
    I support entropy for all.

Personally speaking, the best course of action is to have one of each but if only given one option it would be resto-mod all the way.
    I have restored bikes to stock and enjoyed them but they did not excite me. Better suspension, wheels and more power put the thrill back into the bikes for me.
    More about the ride than the mechanics for me.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Agree with the sentiment so far. That Blazer is going resto mod. Not a bad way to go if the end user is happy. I think a lot of these high end shops cant be bothered with rebuilding old motors, or maybe there is more profit in retrofits.

When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
    -Rusty old scooter.
    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    To my mind, a restoration is a restore to exactly what is was on the showroom floor when it was made. Anything else is a modified vehicle. Depending on preferences and wants, either may be a better choice than the other. Your friend has a rebuilt vehicle, not a restored one.
    Exactly. A resto-mod is not a restoration. And of course, a survivor is the best of all, even if it's not as shiny as a "rotisserie" restoration. I get really peeved at these TV shows about "restoring" vehicles where they customize the body. Like they know better than GM, they're going to improve on the looks of a '68 'Vette or Camaro.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

I was always hoping that some guy would freak out and punch Chip Foose in the head for his gracious OMFG your so nice to me activities.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    I was always hoping that some guy would freak out and punch Chip Foose in the head for his gracious OMFG your so nice to me activities.
    I hate that guy!
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

THIS is a "restoration"...

I wonder how to describe a bike I put up for sale, after doing a mechanical service update, with some creative work on the body.
    Refurbished? Mechanically restored? Updated, upgraded?
    I dunno why you guys hate Chip Foose? I've never heard of him before but after watching him do a concept drawing with pencil, pen and marker for customizing the AMC Pacer, I'm impressed.
    As an old artist I love to see somebody hand drawing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKfvp7BBmPk
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored