How to remove the airbox of a GSX 400 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the airbox of a GSX 400 ?

Hello! First, I'm French. So excuse me for mistakes I will do :-)

I just bought a new old GSX 400 S to do a little transformation on it. I will keep the airbox but to clean it, I want to remove it. But I can't!!!
    I don't how how to take it off the frame.
    I took off the carbs and the battery support, but the airbox can't still go out of the frame...
    Any tips?

First of all, WELCOME.

No excuses necessary. Your English is much better than my French, and probably most others here, too.

What year is your 400? Most of us have not seen a GSX400, as it was not brought to the US. However, if it is somewhat similar to the 2-valve 400/425/450, it has been said that you might need to remove the engine from the frame to get enough room to remove the airbox without damaging it. Because of that amount of effort, many will destroy the airbox in the process of removing it, then install individual air filters (pods) and re-jet the carburetors. Re-jetting the carbs is an exercise in patience, as you will likely not get it right the first time.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      First of all, WELCOME.

No excuses necessary. Your English is much better than my French, and probably most others here, too.

What year is your 400? Most of us have not seen a GSX400, as it was not brought to the US. However, if it is somewhat similar to the 2-valve 400/425/450, it has been said that you might need to remove the engine from the frame to get enough room to remove the airbox without damaging it. Because of that amount of effort, many will destroy the airbox in the process of removing it, then install individual air filters (pods) and re-jet the carburetors. Re-jetting the carbs is an exercise in patience, as you will likely not get it right the first time.

Hey, great to read an answer from the other side of the sea. By the way, Happy new year!
      Can you imagine that, I succeeded!
      You have to remove the carburetor ramp, move the airbox forward, make it a quarter turn clockwise, and make it turn a half turn by pulling on it and forcing a little to get it out of the left side of the bike.

I tried once on my Suzuki 125 GN (1 cylinder). I removed the airbox and installed a pod, but the tuning of the carburation was a nightmare for days and days of trials! :-) So I keep my airbox.

Here is my GSX 400 S

Comment

Working...
      X