1980 1100E Head Oil Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 1100E Head Oil Leak

Hello Friends, It appears my account was deleted but I have taken the poor GS off a 4 year time out so I am back!

I am trying to button the oil leaks up on this bike.. Replacing all the seals, gaskets, o-rings etc.

The last leak is from the two front head nuts on the sides of the cam chain, the longer nuts with an o-ring at the top.

The o-rings in there are relatively new, and look good.. So I refitted them. I believe they came from a Cometic kit.

All I can tell is it is coming from that area only when running and hot.. But it almost appears to be coming out of the bottom mating surface of the long nut, I could see a very tiny bubbling from the bottom area.. It doesn't appear to be coming from the top and flowing down but it is so hard to tell.

I did have the head milled 4 years ago.. I don't remember how much, the minimal amount to get a clean mating surface.

So my question is, did I change some kind of relationship between this nut, the stud or the mating surface that's causing my problems?

Or simply replace the orings and move on?

Has anyone had a luck with sourcing an aftermarket higher quality o-ring, (16.8mm ID / 2.4mm CS), Such as a Viton.

Anyways, I am waiting for OEM o-rings to come in and try those, Just looking for tips to button this area up.

Thank you, Happy new year!
    Clayton

82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Working...
    X