Cylinder Head Won't Budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cylinder Head Won't Budge

Hey guys. I'm working on my 1979 GS850G the moment. I'm trying to lift my cylinder head off the jugs but it just won't budge. Funny thing is the jugs have started to lift, but the head aint movin. I'm worried about breaking a fin if I tap it to hard with a rubber mallet. I'm looking for suggestions to help encourage this cylinder head to separate from the jugs and lift up on it's own. Oh and btw, I can report that all the cylinder head bolts have been removed, even the small one in the front.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

The studs often accumulate a collection of rusty crud between them and the barrels. A good soaking with some penetrant will help, but mechanical uppy-downy action is needed.
    What about the small ones at the sides?

Fer gawd's sake, resist the sledgehammer temptation.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      The studs often accumulate a collection of rusty crud between them and the barrels. A good soaking with some penetrant will help, but mechanical uppy-downy action is needed.
      What about the small ones at the sides?
      Yea, I got the end bolts out too.

Grimly, can you recommend a penetrant?

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
      Fer gawd's sake, resist the sledgehammer temptation.
      Yeah, that sh** makes me nervous
      Ryan

Comment

There is a bolt at the front of the head in the cam chain area that needs to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamDar View Post
          There is a bolt at the front of the head in the cam chain area that needs to be removed.
          Yeah, I got that one off as well.
          Ryan

Comment

Along with the replies already given, if you can borrow/make something like this
            [url=https://flic.kr/p/2ko2YGZ]
            The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
            1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
            past bikes. RF900
            TL1000s
            Hayabusa
            gsx 750f x2
            197cc Francis Barnett
            various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
              Along with the replies already given, if you can borrow/make something like this
              That's interesting fast. Thanks for the pic.
              Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post

Grimly, can you recommend a penetrant?
                Last one had been in place a long time and had accumulated lots of crusty junk around the studs. I just soaked them in diesel and ran some thin-wall tubing down them to jiggle it loose. Definitely helped, as they came off the next day. Be aware, as you lift the barrels off, there's a shovel-ful of dirt wants to fall into the crankcase.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I got a free BMW R75/5 a long time ago and the heads were stuck. I grabbed a length of cotton clothesline and stuffed it in the spark plug hole as the pistons were coming up, with valves closed of course. Popped right off. Of course a completely different engine layout and I'm not recommending it necessarily, but it sure was a cool way to solve that vexing problem.
                  Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                  '79 GS100E
                  Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Deep Creep for the penetrating oil

But, since the barrels are lifting, it sounds like the head gasket is stuck.
                    Lots of tapping with thin wood blocks along the head/barrel junction. Patience is a virtue here
                    You may have to pull the entire engine and remove the entire head and barrel as one, and work on it from there
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                      You may have to pull the entire engine and remove the entire head and barrel as one, and work on it from there
                      Well, the engine is out of the frame at this point so that's not an issue. I wasn't sure if removing the barrels and the head at once was a good idea but, if that's safe to do then I may end up given that a shot if I can't get the head movin. Thanks Big T.
                      Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Deep Creep for the penetrating oil

But, since the barrels are lifting, it sounds like the head gasket is stuck.
                        Lots of tapping with thin wood blocks along the head/barrel junction. Patience is a virtue here
                        Got the barrels and head off this morning. They're still stuck together. I've been told by various folks to soak them in diesel to help separate. I'm sure there are other soaking solution options as well. I'm open to suggestions. That topic may be worth another thread though, I don't know.

Last edited by RustyTank; 01-03-2021, 04:11 PM.
                        Ryan

Comment

What about a piece of wood in through the cylinder and up to the head. Then whack it will a mini sledge? You'll need to hold onto the cylinder in some way that doesn't damage the fins. Anyway, it's the impact force that will help break it loose.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If the head was still on the engine I would tell you to screw a compression tester hose into one of the center cylinders and after placing the nuts back on the studs loosely, plug it into an air hose. In a 72mm bore 125 PSI makes about 800 pounds of force. Don't launch your head nuts loosely back on the studs if you try it. otherwise put it in a bucket of diesel oil with a pint or two of lacquer thinner in it for a few days if you are not in a hurry. It will clean the heck out of it, but it will destroy your valve seals. If you use a plastic bucket make sure it is marked PE or HDPE on the bottom so the mix doesn't eat into the bucket. You can pour the same mix into the cylinders if you flip it upside down, I would go 50/50 an the lacquer thinner and diesel mix in this case.
                            Last edited by metalfab; 01-04-2021, 08:05 AM.
                            1981 GS1100E
                            1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              What about a piece of wood in through the cylinder and up to the head. Then whack it will a mini sledge? You'll need to hold onto the cylinder in some way that doesn't damage the fins. Anyway, it's the impact force that will help break it loose.
                              It's a fair idea Nessism, but man, it really makes me nervous wackin at it like that
                              Ryan

Comment

Working...
                              X