Cylinder Head Won't Budge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metalfab View Post
    If the head was still on the engine I would tell you to screw a compression tester hose into one of the center cylinders and after placing the nuts back on the studs loosely, plug it into an air hose. In a 72mm bore 125 PSI makes about 800 pounds of force. Don't launch your head nuts loosely back on the studs if you try it. otherwise put it in a bucket of diesel oil with a pint or two of lacquer thinner in it for a few days if you are not in a hurry. It will clean the heck out of it, but it will destroy your valve seals. If you use a plastic bucket make sure it is marked PE or HDPE on the bottom so the mix doesn't eat into the bucket.
    I'm in no hurry, I know these things take time. I appreciate the info about the compression, I'm sure I can use that knowledge down the road. I think I'd rather try the soaking technique at this point.

You can pour the same mix into the cylinders if you flip it upside down, I would go 50/50 an the lacquer thinner and diesel mix in this case.
    Is this an alternative to soaking the entire thing with the same result expected? If so, I suppose in this case I'd be saving the valve seals? Maybe I've got the wrong impression.
    Last edited by RustyTank; 01-04-2021, 11:15 AM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Give up any notion of re-using those crusty old valve seals.
      Total waste of time, and they're not expensive anyway. Even better is the opportunity to fit Viton seals instead.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
        Give up any notion of re-using those crusty old valve seals.
        Total waste of time, and they're not expensive anyway. Even better is the opportunity to fit Viton seals instead.
        Oh yeah, I totally agree Grimly. I'm def planning on replacing them. I was just curious about the process of soaking the diesel/lacquer thinner mix in the cylinders. I guess I was just trying to understand the difference between the two processes metalfab suggested. I'm 95% sure I'm going the soaking route. Currently looking for a bucket of some sort big enough that'll fit the head and block together. And I'll look into the Viton valve seals. Thanks for the suggestion.
        Ryan

Comment

What about wood shims wedged under the intake/exhaust area between fins along with penetrating oil?

Maybe 1 on the outside of cylinder 1-4 & 2 more on each side crossways on 2-3.

Seems the wood would squish before a fin breaks.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

A wood shim aimed at the head gasket would likely work too. There are easier and cheaper ways than buying a tub and 5 gallons of some concoction that you will have no easy way to dispose of.

Last edited by Nessism; 01-04-2021, 06:25 PM.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I just came across the same issue on a CB750 I’m taking apart.... I used a foot long left over length of hand rail through the cylinder and gave it a couple whacks with a hammer. I just held the cylinder block with one hand. Not a very eloquent solution, but it works.
              -1980 GS1100 LT
              -1975 Honda cb750K
              -1972 Honda cl175
              - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by Tom R View Post
                I just came across the same issue on a CB750 I’m taking apart.... I used a foot long left over length of hand rail through the cylinder and gave it a couple whacks with a hammer. I just held the cylinder block with one hand. Not a very eloquent solution, but it works.
                That's what I'm talk'n about!

Get a piece of wood that's roughly the same width as the cylinder bore. You don't want a skinny piece of wood which will press on the valve heads.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Comment

sure ALL the 10mm bolts are out?
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

It doesn’t take much... in my case it was the locating dowels that didn’t want to let go.
                    -1980 GS1100 LT
                    -1975 Honda cb750K
                    -1972 Honda cl175
                    - Currently presiding over a 1970 T500

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      sure ALL the 10mm bolts are out?
                      Yup...I've checked so many times

I got all of em, including the two side bolts, as well as the front one that's often missed.
                      Last edited by RustyTank; 01-04-2021, 10:15 PM.
                      Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism;[URL="[URL
                        tel:2635801[/URL]"]2635801[/URL]]A wood shim aimed at the head gasket would likely work too. There are easier and cheaper ways than buying a tub and 5 gallons of some concoction that you will have no easy way to dispose of.
                        Nessism, you make a good point.

Originally posted by Tom R;[URL="[URL
                        tel:2635803[/URL]"]2635803[/URL]]I just came across the same issue on a CB750 I’m taking apart.... I used a foot long left over length of hand rail through the cylinder and gave it a couple whacks with a hammer. I just held the cylinder block with one hand. Not a very eloquent solution, but it works.
                        Originally posted by Nessism;[URL="[URL
                        tel:2635806[/URL]"]2635806[/URL]]That's what I'm talk'n about!

Get a piece of wood that's roughly the same width as the cylinder bore. You don't want a skinny piece of wood which will press on the valve heads.
                        I suppose if there’s anyplace to take a wack at it that’s the spot. Ok then, over the next couple days I'll give this a go and report back.
                        Last edited by RustyTank; 01-05-2021, 03:21 PM.
                        Ryan

Comment

SUCCESS! Thanks everyone for your help, specifically to Tom and Nessism for presenting the method and the encouragement.

Last edited by RustyTank; 01-06-2021, 12:42 AM.
                          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                            SUCCESS! Thanks everyone for your help, specifically Tom for presenting the method...

Ed

To measure is to know.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
                              I'm in no hurry, I know these things take time. I appreciate the info about the compression, I'm sure I can use that knowledge down the road. I think I'd rather try the soaking technique at this point.

Is this an alternative to soaking the entire thing with the same result expected? If so, I suppose in this case I'd be saving the valve seals? Maybe I've got the wrong impression.

You have the right impression, it salvages valve seals if they are good. It also allows you to soak the stuck area with the cylinders off of the engine. Lacquer thinner is the base of many carb cleaning products like spray carb cleaner, even seafoam has a little similar petroleum product in it. Lacquer thinner is a very good carb/parts cleaner, it is very flammable. If you can safely handle gasoline, handling lacquer thinner isn't much different.

I saw you got it off, there is more than one way to skin a cat.
                              Last edited by metalfab; 01-05-2021, 11:44 PM.
                              1981 GS1100E
                              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

You have the right impression, it salvages valve seals if they are good. It also allows you to soak the stuck area with the cylinders off of the engine. Lacquer thinner is the base of many carb cleaning products like spray carb cleaner, even seafoam has a little similar petroleum product in it. Lacquer thinner is a very good carb/parts cleaner, it is very flammable. If you can safely handle gasoline, handling lacquer thinner isn't much different.
                                Thanks a lot for that info metalfab. May come in handy in a future build.
                                Ryan

Comment

Working...
                                X