Short tale of how I ended up with my GS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short tale of how I ended up with my GS

So, back in 1982 I was working for a Yamaha dealer. I was in sales and parts.
    Across the street was a Honda / Suzuki dealer. Well, in 1983 Suzuki came out with the Maroon GS750E.
    I remember the first time I saw it. I was instantly smitten. The only other bike that had that effect on me was the
    1986 VFR750. So, I did what came naturally to me....nothing. Bought a Seca Turbo.
    Fast forward years and years, I now have a 1983 XL600R. Really rough. Runs like crap. Takes 25.4 kicks to start.
    Some guy posts on craigslist ,I think, that he has a rough 83 GS in the required Maroon and is open for a trade. So I haul the XL out there, and after almost having a coronary, I proved to him it ran. He jump started the GS and it actually sounded pretty good. So we did a straight across trade. That was around 6 years ago. I'm finally just about ready to start tearing this thing down. Previously I had already pulled and stripped the front brake calipers. I've been collecting parts along the way. Got a cherry replacement tank in the correct color. 2 Tail cowls, and another front fairing along with tons of hard parts ill need.I'm really looking forward to the bike running again. Bonus is my wife likes it too.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Good luck, and welcome aboard. We like to see photos, though.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
      So, back in 1982 I was working for a Yamaha dealer. I was in sales and parts.
      Across the street was a Honda / Suzuki dealer. Well, in 1983 Suzuki came out with the Maroon GS750E.
      I remember the first time I saw it. I was instantly smitten. The only other bike that had that effect on me was the
      1986 VFR750. So, I did what came naturally to me....nothing. Bought a Seca Turbo.
      Fast forward years and years, I now have a 1983 XL600R. Really rough. Runs like crap. Takes 25.4 kicks to start.
      Some guy posts on craigslist ,I think, that he has a rough 83 GS in the required Maroon and is open for a trade. So I haul the XL out there, and after almost having a coronary, I proved to him it ran. He jump started the GS and it actually sounded pretty good. So we did a straight across trade. That was around 6 years ago. I'm finally just about ready to start tearing this thing down. Previously I had already pulled and stripped the front brake calipers. I've been collecting parts along the way. Got a cherry replacement tank in the correct color. 2 Tail cowls, and another front fairing along with tons of hard parts ill need.I'm really looking forward to the bike running again. Bonus is my wife likes it too.

Mad
      Welcome to the group. I have a story on my 83 gs750ed too. I bought one brand new when I was 18...sold it shortly after. Then summer of 2019 I started looking for one...found one in Seattle from an original owner. 17,000 miles.
      Cheers

No signature

Comment

Hey Mad,

welcome to the site. Cool story...I’m gonna have too search for pics of your maroon 750 until you post pics. You have quite the adventure awaiting you!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
        GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
        Originally posted by GSXR7ED
        Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Wouldn't mind having that Honda you traded! Fun story!
          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
          1982 CB900f

Comment

Well, thanks Trevor!

Saves me having to search...also, I don’t always remember who has what bikes...except for Glen’s/DB and your Coolie.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
            GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
            Originally posted by GSXR7ED
            Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Wow Trevor. Your bike is WAYYYYYYY cleaner than mine. I just drooled on my shirt. One day I'm hoping to have mine close to that condition.

Mad
              83 GS750E
              2006 ZX14
              2004 KTM 450 EXC
              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

I ended up with a 750ES by default once too...
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

While I'm here I'll tell you another tale. I ended up getting a 86 VFR750. Well I just can't leave things alone so I modified it a bit. I put upside down front end and rear wheel from a 1992 GSXR1100 on it. This gave me 17 inch wheels and now I had a 180-17 rear tire which looked world's better than the stock 130. I also had the motor bumped up to 837cc by a guy in Canada. To finish it off I put twin Carbon exhaust mufflers from a Ducati 900SS on it. I had to put a Fox shock on it with adjustable ride height to raise it to a proper height. It looked and worked great. But, due to the typical Honda melting Rectifier problems, it kept stranding me. Back then I didn't know how to fix it. Now I do. That's one bike I wish I kept.

IMG_20200510_161356.jpg
                  83 GS750E
                  2006 ZX14
                  2004 KTM 450 EXC
                  2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62208[/ATTACH

Another picture

Mad
                    Attached Files
                    83 GS750E
                    2006 ZX14
                    2004 KTM 450 EXC
                    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

IMG_0421.jpg

Here's my 83. This is the"pretty" side

Mad
                      83 GS750E
                      2006 ZX14
                      2004 KTM 450 EXC
                      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

This may be of interest.
                        Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                        -Rusty old scooter.
                        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks dork, good information. Sorry the picture is sideways. Don't know why that one always comes out that way.
                          So, I was going to post a question about the anti dive ( I'm going to disable it) and decided to try the " Search" function....Wow ! Everything I could possibly want to know. Great feature.
                          I'm getting anxious to get to work on this thing. But still need to let my knee heal. Then I have to pull the carb on the KTM, then finish the Zuma. THEN the GS takes it's place on the lift and finally gets the loving care it so desperately needs. I'm looking forward to pestering you all about the project.

Mad
                          83 GS750E
                          2006 ZX14
                          2004 KTM 450 EXC
                          2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]62209[/ATTACH]
                            "What's behind us does not matter!"
                            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

It's funny. I was rummaging around in the Search looking at airbox threads. I discovered I already had an account and posted some youthful excited posts about removing my airbox. Looks like I have 2 accounts now. All the better to annoy you good folks.

Mad
                              83 GS750E
                              2006 ZX14
                              2004 KTM 450 EXC
                              2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Working...
                              X