GS drag bike updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS drag bike updates

Moving an earlier thread here, since for now I'm just working on the bike, not actually racing it.

Thanks to some forum members (in particular Greg B!) finally got my hands on a GS-powered drag bike a few months ago.

I'm a long-time motorcycle road racer and MX racer (the story of my former GS1000-powered road racer is on the forum here), with a few endurance, flat-track, and cross-country races thrown in for good measure. I've never drag-raced, though, but am looking forward to it.

Here is a some photo of the starting point, the bike as picked up by me the fall of 2020.

gs_RH_oct_2020_small.jpg

another photo, showing the rear section

IMG_0272_rear_qtr.jpg

Comment

Very nice. Street legal?
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

...following.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

The bike came with an extended swingarm in the spare parts bin, and hey ... I've never had a bike with an extended swingarm, so I figured I'd run it. (Terrible reason to make a decision about a racebike, by the way.) No clear labels, but it looks a lot like a Trac Dynamics piece, based on some interweb searches. (Side note: I might be going back to the stock swingarm; I've got a question in a separate thread on this forum about whether or not wheelie bars play nicely with extended swingarms.)

While I was working on the rear, I figured it'd be a good time to put a better rear wheel on. Tire size often drives lots of other things when building bikes, and the skinniest modern drag slick I could find was a 7"er. When I got the bike it had the stock wheel on it, which is 3.5" wide. It was running a Mickey Thompson 7" tire on the back. Don't get me wrong, the tire clearly worked for previous owners, but I also know that 5.5" is about as skinny a rim as you want to get with a 7" tire. (Per the tire manufacturer's specs too.)

A visit to Vicious Cycle did the trick! Owner Joe Pethoud set me up with a first-gen Honda CBR900 rear wheel. It's 5.5" wide, but uses the same axle diameter (20mm) as the GS, so I could use the same axle adjusters, etc. (Especially nice if I go back to the stock swingarm).

I installed the extended swingarm, then centered the rim down the bike's centerline. I made the measurement a half-dozen times (and asked some friends to spot-check my signtlines) to locate the wheel in the swingarm. I used the frame center rails and engine as visual references.

What looked good using those points as a centerline turned out to place the rim off to one side relative to the rear 'subframe'. That had (has) me scratching my head a bit, but I'm going to run what I have, and make adjustments (left-to-right) to the rear rim as necessary. Too often I've seen subframe get tweaked; using the center rails and engine as references made the most sense. We'll see. I found a big dimple in the LH upper 'subframe' rail since, which may explain why it looks catawampus. Any other GS1150 owners have this dimple in their frame? I don't know if it's damage or was part of the design or manufacturing process. I'll get a photo of it up shortly.

In the meanwhile, the rear wheel, in-place:

rear_wheel.jpg

Comment

@Rob S. - the bike has a title but it'll be track only.

Comment

Stock carbs came with the bike, with a jet kit. I cleaned and kept them, but was looking for something a bit more ... and found a set of 37mm smoothbore Mikuni "Cone Carbs" on the interwebs. I was able to fit a Lectron four-into-one throttle cable to use. They have a hell of a throttle pull ... I'm considering putting in lighter springs (but also don't want them to hang up)!

Not too much info about these carbs; a few 'old-timers' around Portland know about them, and some forum members here. A friend of mine tracked a mention of them from Kevin Cameron's book "Classic Motorcycle Race Engines":

cone_carbs.jpg

Last edited by patrino; 01-04-2021, 09:44 PM.

Comment

And the carbs themselves ... I'll post a photo of them installed soon.

coneheads_small.jpg

Comment

Wicked bike!
                  "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                  ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                  1982 CB900f

Comment

Here's a photo of the "crease" in my frame, in the upper rail around the seat area. Any other 1150 owners have this in their frame? The paint there is good / fair, but??

divot_2.jpg

Comment

another "crease" photo

divot_1.jpg

Comment

and a photo with the carbs installed

carbz.jpg

Comment

That “dent” in the frame rail is normal.
                          It’s the same on my other 1150.
                          It allows the factory battery box to slip in place.
                          Last edited by Greg B; 01-05-2021, 10:51 PM.
                          The Three Horsemen
                          '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
                          '83 GS1100ES
                          ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
                          Porkchop Express

Comment

Thanks Greg - I love learning quirks about bikes like that!

Comment

The extended swingarm is substantially wider than the stock swingarm, to the point where the stock axle wouldn't work - it was a couple inches too short. A good friend of mine has a lathe, so I bought him a case of beer, got a 3' piece of machinable alloy steel from McMaster-Carr, and headed over. He cut it and threaded both ends; I put a nut on one side with permanent loctite, drilled a hole through the nut (about 3/16" diameter), covered a roll pin with permanent loctite, hammered it through one side of the nut, the axle, and the other side of the nut, then staked the pin in place with a cold chisel. I then drilled the other threaded end, for a cotter pin or R-clip (through a castle nut). Should do the trick for an axle.

axle.jpg

Comment

Working...
                              X