GS750 alternator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750 alternator

Hi all. I have bought a replacement alternator which is installed in the cover, the wires colours don't match the ones i removed, my question is can any of the 3 wires from the stator connect to any of the 3 in the wiring loom or do i have to strip the wires back and trace them to match how it was set up before? 1977 8 valve GS750B.
    Thanks in anticipation
    Andy
    andyp, 1977 GS750B 8 Valve engine

i forgot to add, it has a newtronics regulator / rectifier which has 3 yellow wires but i marked them when removing the old alternator

Comment

Stator wires have no specific order. Before you hook it up you should remove the wiring that sends one leg of the stator up to the headlamp switch. This is much discussed here and considered an important improvement.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Hi, those wires have no polarity it does not matter with the connections. Are you going to use the Oem Suzuki rectifier/ regulator?
        if so be aware that unit is a shunt. Most on here have changed to a shindegen sh775 series rectifier/regulator for us in the uk they are only available at a Polaris dealer(not recommended total rip off) so it's off to eBay.com be aware though there are loads of Chinese copy's and if you thinking of getting one ( second hand) I recommend you use the search function on here and read as much about them as possible before making a purchase.
        you cannot buy a second hand one for £25-£30 so all those supposedly new ones for that price are fake.
        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
        past bikes. RF900
        TL1000s
        Hayabusa
        gsx 750f x2
        197cc Francis Barnett
        various British nails

Comment

Short answer to your question: yes , doesn’t matter which stator wire.

To say what others have said: the three stator wires are essentially the same. An aftermarket stator will have the wire colors the same because it doesn’t matter the order they are connected.
          when say to bypass the headlight switch (weither you have one or not) that means to connect the 3 stator wires directly to the 3 wires to the R/R (find harness going to r/r) Which will leave two wires of the bike harness (up to headlight shell) hanging loose.

(an alternator is something different, these bikes have magnets spinning on rotor and a stator which is 3 coils of wire and a regulator/rectifier)
          Last edited by Redman; 01-04-2021, 10:09 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post

(an alternator is something different, these bikes have magnets spinning on rotor and a stator which is 3 coils of wire and a regulator/rectifier)
            An alternator, producing alternating current.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks

Comment

much appreciated

Comment

cheers for that

Comment

thanks, i don't know about the regulator yet, i just found a crack in the crankcases ,oil is leaking out so its going to be a full engine re build unless i can find a replacement somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by andyp62 View Post
                      . . . . . . . . . . . . i just found a crack in the crankcases ,oil is leaking out . . . . . . .. . .
                      DOAHHhhhhh

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
                      X