Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Impossible to identify

Hi everyone.

I just bought a GS450L. The only I.d. present on the frame is GL51D-100243. This is also the number on the papers, so I presume it is an official identification number. The problem is, nobody seems to know what this number means. I don’t find reference to GL51D on the part catalogs and on-line resources. I can’t retrieve the exact version nor the year. It’s got a black engine, though. If I understand correctly this means that production year should be between 85 and 89. The bike is in Luxembourg. The Country is so tiny, we don’t have our own importer. It probably comes from the Belgian importer, but it could as well be a German, Dutch or even French model.

So, long story short, I cannot order parts. I need a new left carburetor and they are different, depending on the version, the year and the country.

So is there someone who can help with this puzzle? And does anyone know if the carburetors are compatible across all the different versions of the GS450? That would be really helpful

Thank you all
    Suzuki GS 450 L

Originally posted by Ataranti View Post
    Hi everyone.

I just bought a GS450L. The only I.d. present on the frame is GL51D-100243. This is also the number on the papers, so I presume it is an official identification number. The problem is, nobody seems to know what this number means. I don’t find reference to GL51D on the part catalogs and on-line resources. I can’t retrieve the exact version nor the year. It’s got a black engine, though. If I understand correctly this means that production year should be between 85 and 89. The bike is in Luxembourg. The Country is so tiny, we don’t have our own importer. It probably comes from the Belgian importer, but it could as well be a German, Dutch or even French model.

So, long story short, I cannot order parts. I need a new left carburetor and they are different, depending on the version, the year and the country.

So is there someone who can help with this puzzle? And does anyone know if the carburetors are compatible across all the different versions of the GS450? That would be really helpful

Thank you all
    Are you sure you have an "L"?

According to THIS PAGE, you might have an '83, but there are extra letters mixed in, like GL51_LD.

Other clues are the "D", which indicates a 1983 model year. The black engine actually started in '83, not '85.

Features of the "L" model include (but are not limited to) smaller headlight, taller (rather uncomfortable) handlebars, smaller gas tank, stepped seat and shorter mufflers. Do you have all of them?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

And, chrome front and rear mudguards/fenders

Also, the ID number is stamped into the head stock and printed on a foil tag
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you Steve.

It’s definitely an L: high, chopper-style handlebar, stepped seat.... Besides, it’s an L in the registration papers.
        You say the black engine started in 83. Good news. At least now it makes sense that it is a D (year 83). But still, the frame number doesn't look like one
        Suzuki GS 450 L

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
          Also, the ID number is stamped into the head stock and printed on a foil tag
          Although that is true in the North American market, it's not necessarily true for the rest of the world.

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

GL51D is Suzuki-speak for a home market GS450L. They were made from 1985-87. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that an importer in one of the Benelux countries did a deal with Suzuki to sell some extra stock. Whether the dealer saw a demand that needed filling, or Suzuki pushed out stock they couldn't sell in Japan, I don't know. I've heard that one of the bigger Dutch importers persuaded Suzuki to keep sending GS850s for several years after the model was supposedly discontinued.

I believe you have the 2 valve per cylinder engine. For your missing carb, I would buy a used set from a 2v GS450 (any year) and recondition the pair.
            1980 GS550ET

Comment

Yep, lot's of funk going on in european countries with regards to suzuki vehicle designations! I've found three different applicable designations for my 550's from various sources...but in the end, the most important thing to know is which parts are compatible

Can you provide some pictures of your bike? That makes it much easier to identify.
              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Thank you guys, useful hints. I am starting to understand.
                I'll call CMSNL and see if they have more input on this. I must not be the only one in Europe with such a frame number.

It's true that it would help to see a picture of the bike, so here you have it.

Have a nice week end you all.

c9b32756-8a8c-413e-b314-7bae3bececd0.jpg
                Suzuki GS 450 L

Comment

Yep, that is, indeed, a 2-valve 450L from at least '83 and up.

I do like the color scheme. We were not blessed with that one.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

What happened to the carb in question?
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

For the sake of my pride I’d have preferred you didn't ask
                      89F74791-A529-420D-AAB3-FC7B9570F052.jpg
                      Suzuki GS 450 L

Comment

I do like the color scheme. We were not blessed with that one.
                        Yes, it’s a nice one. And in good condition. The inside is a different matter though...
                        Last edited by Ataranti; 01-09-2021, 06:27 PM.
                        Suzuki GS 450 L

Comment

Originally posted by Ataranti View Post
                          For the sake of my pride I’d have preferred you didn't ask
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]62251[/ATTACH]
                          Okay, I believe you. New carb needed.

I agree with picking up any available set of 450 carbs. You don't need a set matching the originals, you just need a clean rebuildable set.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you guys. I’ve ordered a new old pair. A bit unwillingly, but now it’s done. They will have to travel all the way from USA. Yeah.
                            Suzuki GS 450 L

Comment

Working...
                            X