What to do with a wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a wheel?

PO of my current project was the king of epoxy. It was his fix all for everything including putting together a carb housing that cracked fully in half and, as I recently discovered after pulling the bearings and stripping the rattle an paint job from the front wheel, to fill in a chunk that he pulled out of the wheel by overtorquing one of the rotor bolts.

The new wheel arrived in the mail today, but now I have a nicely cleaned up but completely unserviceable front snowflake on my hands. I’m thinking that there must be some kind of side project that I could make out of it, but the best I’ve come up with so far is making it into a ridiculously heavy clock for the garage.

What say you, brain trust of the GS Resources? Any ideas?
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Sounds like the perfect clock.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I've used them for extension cord hangers,hose reels things like that.

Comment

A motorcycle trailer so you can go buy more wheels and carry them in it.

Mad
        83 GS750E
        2006 ZX14
        2004 KTM 450 EXC
        2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
          A motorcycle trailer so you can go buy more wheels and carry them in it.

Mad
          Love it, though at this stage I’d have to attach a tow hitch to my butt if I wanted to haul anything it that trailer.
          1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

With a glass top and legs it's a coffee table....

Otherwise what I did with the last 3 I had - sold for scrap metal.

Comment

8 lb. @ $0.42 = $3.36. Better that than a clock or table.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post
                PO of my current project was the king of epoxy. It was his fix all for everything including putting together a carb housing that cracked fully in half and, as I recently discovered after pulling the bearings and stripping the rattle an paint job from the front wheel, to fill in a chunk that he pulled out of the wheel by overtorquing one of the rotor bolts.

The new wheel arrived in the mail today, but now I have a nicely cleaned up but completely unserviceable front snowflake on my hands. I’m thinking that there must be some kind of side project that I could make out of it, but the best I’ve come up with so far is making it into a ridiculously heavy clock for the garage.

What say you, brain trust of the GS Resources? Any ideas?
                How about putting it on a wall with a small sign beneath it, carrying nothing but the letters I E ?

Someone will surely ask about your permanent wheel ie.

"If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                  8 lb. @ $0.42 = $3.36. Better that than a clock or table.
                  It will cost you more than that to drive to the recycling center. Not to mention waiting in line for untold time until it's your turn.

I set stuff like that out on the curb and eventually some scrap dealer snags it up. Or if they don't, toss it in the trash.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I like the spinning coffee table idea. You might even be able to scare up an appropriate round piece of glass if you poke around at assorted secondhand and thrift shops. Or buy one from a glass supplier.

I've got a few GS wheels hanging on the wall. Exactly why is hard to say; seems a shame to toss or recycle them, but then again I've never heard of a GS alloy wheel taking road damage, unless it was a crash that also largely destroyed the bike. Those wheels are ridiculously heavy, but ridiculously strong.

I feel your pain about the epoxy... the PO of my bike was an older gent who was supposedly an aircraft mechanic when he served in the Air Force, but I'm just glad I never had to fly on anything he touched. He had a penchant for globbing this horrible rock-hard epoxy or sealer stuff all over every fastener. The oil drain plug had multiple coats of this stuff. I don't really know what it was.

He also didn't seem to grok metric; I found quite a few 1/4" and 5/16" bolts stuffed into inappropriate places, many still bearing traces of Briggs & Stratton paint.
                    Last edited by bwringer; 03-08-2021, 12:26 PM.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I strapped some lights to it and suspended it above a workbench in the garage.

"I have come to believe that all life is precious." -- Eastman, TWD6.4

1999 Triumph Legend 900 TT

Comment

Make it into the spinning wheel of a well
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                        X