Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with a wheel?

Default What to do with a wheel?

PO of my current project was the king of epoxy. It was his fix all for everything including putting together a carb housing that cracked fully in half and, as I recently discovered after pulling the bearings and stripping the rattle an paint job from the front wheel, to fill in a chunk that he pulled out of the wheel by overtorquing one of the rotor bolts.

The new wheel arrived in the mail today, but now I have a nicely cleaned up but completely unserviceable front snowflake on my hands. Iím thinking that there must be some kind of side project that I could make out of it, but the best Iíve come up with so far is making it into a ridiculously heavy clock for the garage.

What say you, brain trust of the GS Resources? Any ideas?
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once itís done.

I've used them for extension cord hangers,hose reels things like that.

A motorcycle trailer so you can go buy more wheels and carry them in it.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Maddevill View Post
    A motorcycle trailer so you can go buy more wheels and carry them in it.

Mad
    Love it, though at this stage I’d have to attach a tow hitch to my butt if I wanted to haul anything it that trailer.
    1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once itís done.

With a glass top and legs it's a coffee table....

Otherwise what I did with the last 3 I had - sold for scrap metal.

8 lb. @ $0.42 = $3.36. Better that than a clock or table.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by DevilsAdvoduck View Post
    PO of my current project was the king of epoxy. It was his fix all for everything including putting together a carb housing that cracked fully in half and, as I recently discovered after pulling the bearings and stripping the rattle an paint job from the front wheel, to fill in a chunk that he pulled out of the wheel by overtorquing one of the rotor bolts.

The new wheel arrived in the mail today, but now I have a nicely cleaned up but completely unserviceable front snowflake on my hands. Iím thinking that there must be some kind of side project that I could make out of it, but the best Iíve come up with so far is making it into a ridiculously heavy clock for the garage.

What say you, brain trust of the GS Resources? Any ideas?
    How about putting it on a wall with a small sign beneath it, carrying nothing but the letters I E ?

Someone will surely ask about your permanent wheel ie.

"The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

Nessism is online now Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    8 lb. @ $0.42 = $3.36. Better that than a clock or table.
    It will cost you more than that to drive to the recycling center. Not to mention waiting in line for untold time until it's your turn.

I set stuff like that out on the curb and eventually some scrap dealer snags it up. Or if they don't, toss it in the trash.

bwringer is online now Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

I like the spinning coffee table idea. You might even be able to scare up an appropriate round piece of glass if you poke around at assorted secondhand and thrift shops. Or buy one from a glass supplier.

I've got a few GS wheels hanging on the wall. Exactly why is hard to say; seems a shame to toss or recycle them, but then again I've never heard of a GS alloy wheel taking road damage, unless it was a crash that also largely destroyed the bike. Those wheels are ridiculously heavy, but ridiculously strong.

I feel your pain about the epoxy... the PO of my bike was an older gent who was supposedly an aircraft mechanic when he served in the Air Force, but I'm just glad I never had to fly on anything he touched. He had a penchant for globbing this horrible rock-hard epoxy or sealer stuff all over every fastener. The oil drain plug had multiple coats of this stuff. I don't really know what it was.

He also didn't seem to grok metric; I found quite a few 1/4" and 5/16" bolts stuffed into inappropriate places, many still bearing traces of Briggs & Stratton paint.
    Last edited by bwringer; 03-08-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.