Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 GS850 Brake Calipers

Done a search but can't find out the answer to this question:
    I have ordered these two front brake caliper kits that according to Canada Post should be here Monday AM. https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...DJHsbTPggRRTKG
    I am currently disassembling and cleaning up my calipers, plus reading the GS850 Manual so I can get a handle on what has to be done. What I do nor understand is the kit appears to contain one O ring and the manual mentions to use new dust covers and "O ring". When I took the calipers apart I can find "two" O rings in each Caliper holder #7 on the fiche while the parts fiche appears to show only one O ring in the proximity of the caliper axle bolts?
    Not sure this ? makes sense but the rubber dust seals etc that I took out of my calipers were turned to a gooey black mess after leaking for much of their 42 years and were indistinguishable. The two O rings in the calipe holder appear to be in relatively good shape.
    Am I making a problem where there is none or should the kit have included another O ring?
    This is the parts fiche: https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...front-caripers
    Thanks for any guidance
    Jonesz

1979 GS850 current project
    1978 GL1000-naked
    1983 GL1100-Aspencade stripped
    1999 Valkyrie Tourer-long ride bike

I know that the GS850 went through a bit of a change starting with the 1983 model. Could it be that the calipers are one of those things that changed?
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

Comment

Ya I get that but really am wondering where the O ring is to be inserted
      Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
        I know that the GS850 went through a bit of a change starting with the 1983 model. Could it be that the calipers are one of those things that changed?
        Actually the changes started with the 1980 model.

The 1979 model was the only 850 with those calipers.
        It was the only year with the VM carbs.
        It was the only year with a kick starter.
        It was the only year without a crossover in the exhaust.
        It was the only year with a 12-pole stator.
        It was the only year with points in the ignition.

The '83 model continued with the bodywork, wheels and gauges that started in '82, and added a black engine.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Actually the changes started with the 1980 model.
          No kidding? Steve I didn't realize there were THAT many changes in the 1980 model. Thanks for the history lesson!

Originally posted by Jonesz View Post
          Ya I get that but really am wondering where the O ring is to be inserted
          Sorry Jonesz, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Lets get back to your O ring query. Is there a chance the kit just came with an extra O ring? Sometimes kits come with extra parts.
          Last edited by RustyTank; 01-10-2021, 03:28 AM.
          Ryan

Comment

Rusty Tank, I am going to have to wait until it gets to my place to check out the kit. But as in my OP the Ebay pic shows one as does the fiche, while my caliper does indeed have 2. Just thought that it was likely that someone else on here had gone through the same thing.
            Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

What I do nor understand is the kit appears to contain one O ring and the manual mentions to use new dust covers and "O ring". When I took the calipers apart I can find "two" O rings in each Caliper holder #7 on the fiche while the parts fiche appears to show only one O ring in the proximity of the caliper axle bolts?
              Please do not discount the idea that somebody might have already had the calipers apart.

The idea there is that it might have been re-assembled incorrrectly.

It's a shocking idea, but not everybody is as good as we are.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Can’t see what you’ve ordered with that link. Personally I wouldn’t use that era of brake calipers, they are seriously lacking. I’d fit some later GS ones or upgrade to twinpot brakes.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mystery Solved! Who would have guessed that the Post Office is so far behind due to Covid and holiday mail that even our small rural post office is sorting Sunday.Just picked up my brake kits that came from the UK. The kit included two O rings per kit rather than the one shown on the Ebay pic and the parts fiche. They will be installed in the caliper holder where the original ones were. Sorry for taking up everyone's time but really was wondering.
                  Salty-Monk I hear you regarding the caliper switch but that is sometimes easier said than done when motorcycle recyclers are hundreds of miles away. Shipping rates are also very high here. I will keep that in mind tho. I am trying to keep the bike as near oem as possible. It is not my main ride but will be my putter arounder when it gets restored. Thanx for the advice.
                  Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Nice! I hope the kits work out
                    1980 GS1000G - Sold
                    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Mystery Solved!
                      Glad you got it sorted!
                      Ryan

Comment

I am still struggling with assembling my GS 850G calipers. I don't quite get how the "dust covers" on the caliper axle bolts are put on. As I said the rubber seals on this bike were a gooey black rubber mess when I tried to take them apart. It doesn't seem to be intuitive and I have read the manuals. It also took me over 2 hours to assemble the piston dust covers and piston seals. I have never been this frustrated after redoing 3 other "not Suzuki bikes". Wondering where I might find info on 1979 front calipers? Would really appreciate some info. Thanks to anyone who can help.
                        Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Does a diagram help? https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...front-caripers

I will be removing the calipers off my GS850G soon in case you want pics let me know.

I am still struggling with assembling my GS 850G calipers. I don't quite get how the "dust covers" on the caliper axle bolts are put on. As I said the rubber seals on this bike were a gooey black rubber mess when I tried to take them apart. It doesn't seem to be intuitive and I have read the manuals. It also took me over 2 hours to assemble the piston dust covers and piston seals. I have never been this frustrated after redoing 3 other "not Suzuki bikes". Wondering where I might find info on 1979 front calipers? Would really appreciate some info. Thanks to anyone who can help.
                          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                          '79 GS100E
                          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                            Does a diagram help? https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...front-caripers

I will be removing the calipers off my GS850G soon in case you want pics let me know.
                            Tom thanks but I do have that diagram and am still finding it hard to figure out whether the axle dust covers go on the bolts or on the Caliper holder. They seem to be very flimsy and don't really want to stay on the caliper holder and if they go on the bolts I don't see how they seal?
                            If you don't mind maybe take a couple of photos in case I can't get this figured out or maybe you can see where the small dust covers go that will help me out. I am thinking one of the gurus that have worked on these old calipers might have a quick answer for me.
                            Thanks again for the help.
                            Jonesz

1978 GL1000-naked

Comment

Working...
                            X