No announcement yet.

POP SPUTTER (new petcock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One question before I go forward, when testing the petcock, is it supposed to give a constant stream of fuel just by a constant pull of air or does the air pulsate?

I ask this because I tested the old one, and it does the same, but also I pulled apart one real quick to see how it works, and I see the spring and gasket and see that it pulls in a pulse, releases, then pulls in again.

Now, the second one is defective! It does not release for atleast 5 seconds and sometimes wont release at all. But the first one, released the instant u release pressure meaning it has a consistent pulse.
    Last edited by timebombprod; 01-11-2021, 09:30 PM.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

Suck on vacuum line & fuel flows, quit sucking & fuel stops. It's as simple as that. No pulsating nor nothing. When mounted on a bike & working properly, bike not running there is no vacuum so no fuel, crank the bike & it sends vacuum to pet cock & fuel starts flowing & keeps flowing as long as the bike is running. Turn bike off, vacuum stops & fuel stops flowing.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

When vacuum to petcock the fuel it flows constantly, like water from an open faucet. With no vacuum there is no flow like water from a shut off faucet, not even a drip.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Okay then two out of two are forsure defective!

Is a manual petcock switch possible on these? I have to mess with the petcock more than i would with a manual one anyways. If it's not a good idea for these bikes I'll get another vacuum, but I'm gonna have to get the other one I'm done with z1 for now
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

I just noticed that the old one I have works only on reserve, its a constant flow of fuel but once on normal no fuel is passing through.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

The Z1 petcock is a K&L aftermarket one, not OEM. You will be much happier if you buy a real OEM one from Partzilla or another authorized Suzuki dealer. https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/44300-45372
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Also check to see that the tank vent is not clogged. After running for a while open the gas cap. If you hear a "whoosh" the vent is clogged
                sigpic
                09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                1983 GS1100e
                82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                1980 GS1260
                Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

On both on & res. position gas should flow only while vacuum is applied. No vacuum no fuel. On Pri. (prime) fuel should flow constantly with or without vacuum.

Comment

Both are getting returned, I was thinking about just running on reserve for a bit with the old halfway working one but I already ordered a true OEM petcock and would rather just get the return done quicker.

Ofcourse if I experience that fuel dump again, which i very well might, the carbs will be ran through.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                      Also check to see that the tank vent is not clogged. After running for a while open the gas cap. If you hear a "whoosh" the vent is clogged
                      I will check! I will say i can always smell gas when sitting on my bike before its started hopefully coming from the tank. I've also sealed the tank so the area you put your cap back on is a little thicker than it used to be.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

I got one off Amazon for $45, there was only 2 left so now it should be one lol. Same seed number but there was an extra 3 zeros at the end. In the pictures it shows the box suzuki puts the petcock in and it reads the original numbers.

Hoping it's the same one for a better price, ifnot lesson learned no cheap vacuum petcocks
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Like in the other posts. Do yourself a favor and get an O.E.M. that should eliminate that as the problem,valve adj. could cause low vacuum also.The fuel tank needs to be vented as do the carb float bowls.The bowl vent hoses should be vented to a dead air space as not to cause a vacuum.
                          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                            Like in the other posts. Do yourself a favor and get an O.E.M. that should eliminate that as the problem,valve adj. could cause low vacuum also.The fuel tank needs to be vented as do the carb float bowls.The bowl vent hoses should be vented to a dead air space as not to cause a vacuum.
                            Everything is in order right now as in, I have a working fuel valve and its OEM. I've adjusted the valves before and put on maybe like 100 miles before rechecking and they were fine. Fuel tank is able to vent as the pressure release sound doesnt happen when the gas cap is took off. Wheres the float bowl vents? Are they the two gas exits in between carb 1 and 2 and also carb 3 and 4. If so those like to dump fuel. The pilots and floats need to be checked and worked on. It sounds rough but got better the more I ran it. I just got it back up with a new fuel valve and I'm gonna be checking for vacuum leaks and the carbs
                            Last edited by timebombprod; 01-17-2021, 03:30 PM.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Well, no vacuum leaks.

Carbs need the works.

Sounds like a fuel delivery which was the case when this fuel dump was addressed on the forum. It idles better when the idle rises, as in cylinder turns on.

Should I do the whole rebuild or just mess with the section that needs work, floats and pilots and needles are what im supposed to be messing with right?
                              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                              1982 XS650

Comment

Video of it today, didnt say I checked for the vacuum leaks but I forsure did, intake boots and airbox boots or whatever they're called are all 100% sealed
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X