No announcement yet.

POP SPUTTER (new petcock)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have fuel leaking out of the carb bowl vent lines, then either your float is stuck or the needle valve is dirty or worn out or your float level is way too high. You can put a manual petcock on. You just have to plug the vacuum port at the Intake manifold area.
    As for OEM stuff always being good, I bought a brand new OEM ignition switch for my Zuma from Partzilla. It was bad right out of the box. Bought another and now all is well.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
      If you have fuel leaking out of the carb bowl vent lines, then either your float is stuck or the needle valve is dirty or worn out or your float level is way too high. You can put a manual petcock on. You just have to plug the vacuum port at the Intake manifold area.
      As for OEM stuff always being good, I bought a brand new OEM ignition switch for my Zuma from Partzilla. It was bad right out of the box. Bought another and now all is well.

Mad
      Got a good fuel valve. My bike sounds like a twin when accelerating so now I really need to just start working on them

Gonna check my spark too just incase. All 4 exhaust headers steam but still.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Two things I must ask about while I'm at the carbs.

When I got them off, I decided to look at the intake valves through the intake boots because I just like to see if anything changes, I dont know what I'm really looking for in there lol, BUT, tonight I saw something I cannot recall ever seeing the plenty of times I've looked in my intake valves, gas is coating the metal all around before the intake valves , does this mean gas was old or does this indicate something else.

The gas I first used was definently older, but I dont know how old non ethanol gas has to be to deem unusable

Also, if gas is in the airbox emergency tube, does that indicate one of the 3 things I'm checking for, the float being stuck, a bad or clogged pilot, or a high float setting. Gonna go through them as I finish this but just thought I'd ask!
        Last edited by timebombprod; 01-20-2021, 04:47 AM.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Video of floats, asking if one seems to be worn, and a bit of info of each section i gotta work on. Gonna be checking pilots
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Snapchat-2011762634.jpg

Colour of the crud on my intake porting, I dont know whether to be dreading an answer or not. It looks like gas rust to me but I may be wrong.

I hope this air pump still pumps good
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Decided to rebuild, they're all apart and I used wd40 to keep parts from oxidizing as they're not sitting in carb dip. With that being said, what's the best carb dip I can buy in store whether Walmart or harbor freight I just would like to pick some up instead of ordering online.

I know which bits to dip and not to dip, but to make sure, no rubber or plastic bits will be submerged.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Screenshot_20210120-072647_Chrome.jpg

For options that I can get today, what do you guys think?
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

That question has already been answered a million times here in posts, some to you, as well as in these instructions:

Get some Berryman's, the gallon can has a handy tray to use, from your favorite car parts store. I believe Walmart also carries the larger can.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    That question has already been answered a million times here in posts, some to you, as well as in these instructions:

Get some Berryman's, the gallon can has a handy tray to use, from your favorite car parts store. I believe Walmart also carries the larger can.
                    Gonna pick some up right about now
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Update

Neither Walmart or any auto parts store had the berrymans at the store nor same day pickup so I went with the gunk, my one issue is i have a stripped screw and its for the plate that holds the seat in, i tested the pilot to make sure it wasnt clogged by blowing into both ends with a tube making sure it worked from either side. However, I cant fit all 4 carbs in the carb dip container and I dont have any spare metal tins that arent sealed correctly at the bottom, and I seen that pinesol works and also wont damage any rubber or plastic bits, I want to try dipping this one and the rubber and plastics bits in pinesol. Any disclaimers beforehand?

Also I know this is before the carb clean, but its alot better than last time too me

Here's how my sparks look in correct order, other than 3 it's all good and I'm pretty sure its a float height issue. Let me know if I'm wrong! Pretty sure they look lean too but I've never been able to properly tune the exhaust to the bike.
                      Snapchat-333613343.jpg
                      Last edited by timebombprod; 01-21-2021, 05:20 AM.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

where do I get a set of pilot jets from? I heard you want the good stuff lol but not sure what dealer to buy from
                        Last edited by timebombprod; 01-21-2021, 05:21 AM.
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Got a chance to use an ultrasonic cleaner, it's really unique you gotta see it! Trust me!

Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                          1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                          X