Torque Specs for Brake Rotor Bolts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torque Specs for Brake Rotor Bolts?

I’m replacing my 1979 GS850 brake rotors with rotors off a GS1100, direct bolt in. Does anyone know what the recommended torque spec is for the rotor bolts? In my manual it just says “tighten bolts securely”, but that seams suspect to me. I’ve over tightened to many bolts in my day to assume that a simple hand tighten is the safe route to go here. Looking at the torque specs page in my manual the only thing that remotely looks like it may be referring to the rotors is a ‘Disc mounting bolt’. I’m just unsure that’s what I’m looking for

Last edited by RustyTank; 01-09-2021, 10:36 PM.
    Ryan

1979 GS850G - currently undergoing a major overhaul
    1986 GSX-R750 - I'm figuring it out

That's it. 8mm bolt into cast alloy usually 18-20 ft/lb.

Comment

The factory manual states 11-18 ft-lbs
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
        I’m replacing my 1979 GS850 brake rotors with rotors off a GS1100, direct bolt in. Does anyone know what the recommended torque spec is for the rotor bolts? In my manual it just says “tighten bolts securely”, but that seams suspect to me. I’ve over tightened to many bolts in my day to assume that a simple hand tighten is the safe route to go here. Looking at the torque specs page in my manual the only thing that remotely looks like it may be referring to the rotors is a ‘Disc mounting bolt’. I’m just unsure that’s what I’m looking for

They're 8mm bolts, so 11-18 ft / lbs is about right into ally. If you don't have the tab strips for bending over the bolt heads, use some Loctite (purple) or drill and wire the bolts. I'd use Loctite as well as anything else, as a belt and braces approach.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Ok, that's it then. Wonderful news. Thanks fellas for helping me confirm that.
          Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
            They're 8mm bolts, so 11-18 ft / lbs is about right into ally. If you don't have the tab strips for bending over the bolt heads, use some Loctite (purple) or drill and wire the bolts. I'd use Loctite as well as anything else, as a belt and braces approach.
            I do have the tab strips Grimly, but the Loctite info is great for future reference. I gotta start writin this sh** down
            Ryan

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
              I do have the tab strips Grimly, but the Loctite info is great for future reference. I gotta start writin this sh** down
              Reason I specify purple is it's what I use - a medium strength one *. You don't need the red Loctite on these, especially if you've got the tabs. The high strength red can be awkward to remove if you ever have to.

* I see Loctite now designate the Purple as a low-strength one, but my bottle says Medium. No matter, it works anway.

---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
              X