Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yoshimura style hand bent short exhaust gs 550

Hi guys, greetings from Czech Republic,

first of all I would like to thank you for the source of quality information regarding Suzuki GS motorcycles that is stored in this forum.

I just pulled the original exhausts out of my 78 gs 550 to investigate the rattling noise, unfortunately the inner tubes had rusted off and any repair would be just temporary.

So I am looking for a new 4-1 type exhaust.
    I came across to these yoshimura hand bent short exhaust which are exactly what I am looking for.

As to my knowledge they were never made for gs 550 and even for other models they are quite rare, so I gave up on browsing ebay to search for used ones.
    Italian company Marving makes something sort of a similar but their exhausts are longer and the diameter after headers expands behind 4-1 connection. ( sorry if this is not understandable I am not native speaker)
    I assume I am left with these options:

1. Modify delkevic cb 550 exhaust system. I have read that this could be possible and tried to look for more information on this forum about the modification but no luck with details. I dont want to risk a purchase of one and ending up with ripping and welding the exhaust entirely. Does anyone have information that could be helpfull?
    2. Make my own Yoshi style exhaust . I know it sounds silly but I desperately need them (some of you may understand). Any tips would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for comments and your experience with these Yoshi style exhausts.

Regards
    Jakub

Originally posted by abritz View Post
    ........( sorry if this is not understandable I am not native speaker)
    Welcome to TheGSR.

Your writing is very understandable (much better than many "natives").

I have no experience with Yoshi, and no experience fabricating own exhaust, so cannot help you with that.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Hi Jakub
      If your need is for an exhaust for street use the Marving system will work just fine.

Longer headers equal a torque peak at a lower RPM - shorter means higher revs.
      Marving have a good name and from all I hear their pipes work well.

I've built many systems for street and track. It's not that hard - but finishing up with one that looks good as well as working well takes experience.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
        Hi Jakub
        If your need is for an exhaust for street use the Marving system will work just fine.

Longer headers equal a torque peak at a lower RPM - shorter means higher revs.
        Marving have a good name and from all I hear their pipes work well.

I've built many systems for street and track. It's not that hard - but finishing up with one that looks good as well as working well takes experience.
        Hello Greg,
        thank you for your experience.
        I guess I will have to go for Marving if all other options fail. I tried to contact them if they are able produce the exhaust without chrome plating, I will see what they reply.
        Still have couple of months to investigate till the season starts , though

Comment

Marving are great looking. Delkevic are awesome as well, but as you know, don't make a pipe for the GS550 or 650. I'm not sure what it would take to modify a CB550 pipe to fit a GS 550, but I have seen a replica Yoshimura CB550 pipe installed on a GS550, with stating that some modifications were needed. I don't know the extent of those mods, but I would love one of those pipes. I forget the guy's name, small custom motorcycle shop, the guy was making a couple Yoshimura replicas. I'm sure if you search you can find it on here, I posted about it in recent years.
          '77 GS750 920cc heavily modded
          '97 Kawasaki KDX220R rugged terrain ripper!
          '99 Kawasaki KDX220R​ rebuild in progress
          '79 GS425stock
          PROJECTS:
          '77 Suzuki PE250 woods racer
          '77 GS550 740cc major mods
          '77 GS400 489cc racer build
          '76 Rickman CR1000 GS1000/1100
          '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

and by the way, Yoshimura definitely made a GS550 pipe, I had my hands on one in the junkyard, and my good friend ended up buying it and still owns it.
            It is not the hand bent style but it is the classic mass produced Yoshimura stove pipe type exhaust.
            '79 GS425stock
            PROJECTS:
            '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Chris doesn't list one on his website, but he's a very capable fabricator. http://www.motogpwerks.com/
              Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
              Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Yes, Moto GP Werks are an AWESOME company...

This is what I was recalling, Carpy sells these CB550 pipes, one of which was documented (on here?) of someone modifying it to fit their GS550

'79 GS425stock
                PROJECTS:
                '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Thank you Chuck and Slayer,

I have decided to go for marving 4-1 for now, managed to get it with 150$ discount so that made me go for it.

Will post picture when I receive it.

Anyway I have not given up on Yoshimura style exhaust, but it will be along road to go. It is quite unusual to come across one here in Europe even for other types of motorcycles.
                  Once i get rid of wooden floors in my shop, I will definately try to hand bend the headers

Comment

nothing wrong with the Marving, those are FANTASTIC exhausts and don't have the ground clearance problems that most 4 into 1 pipes have.
                    performance should be the same as a standard for into one configuration. Making a Tri-Y 4 into 2 into 1 of that style would be rather complicated looking.
                    '79 GS425stock
                    PROJECTS:
                    '78 GS1000C/1100

Comment

Originally posted by abritz View Post
                      Anyway I have not given up on Yoshimura style exhaust, but it will be along road to go. It is quite unusual to come across one here in Europe even for other types of motorcycles. Once i get rid of wooden floors in my shop, I will definately try to hand bend the headers
                      Hand bending takes an incredible amount of heat. The best setup I saw was a gas ring with multiple jets which the pipe passes through.Sequence was - hold in the ring heating the area to be bent until enough length was red hot - then hand bend around former.To get the tube back to a consistent diameter, the pros use a steel ball of the correct diameter on a chain. Heat again and pull it through the pipe..A much better idea is to simply use bought in mandrel bends and weld the pipes up in pieces. Even at this end of the world, I can go in to a local car exhaust place with drawings of what i wantand they will bend up headers or tailpipe to my specs. They even carry a range of pipe junctions. 2:1, 3:1 and 4:1.

Comment

Working...
                      X