Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
    Bonjour, Seb! Nice bike! I like red!

...a bit of a digression, but I've heard Paris has very strict pollution laws that pertain to the age of a vehicle? Is there any such regulation that will affect you and your 850?
    Thanks! Yes pollution regulations apply to the GS, but there is an exception in Paris for «véhicules de collection» / classic vehicules, a status available to over 30 year old vehicules in original condition. However it seems that the City of Paris is considering suppressing the exception this year, so we'll see...
    90DTR125, 79GS550, 99Freewind600, 05DL650, 79GS850

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
      Hi, nice looking bike you have there, just wondering why the bike needs re- jetting as in the picture it has a standard airbox fitted?
      Hi, that's because there is a K&N filter in the airbox and a 4in1 exhaust, which seems to increase airflow. I tried to set the air screws according to specifications (2,25 turns) and the pipes turned red hot quite quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
        Welcome to the club...great bike! Question...what are insurance rates like in Paris? Cheers
        Hi Trevor,
        My insurer (Macif) charges a little under 120 euros a year. This corresponds to the minimum compulsory coverage (liability toward «third parties»). I tried to get extra coverage (theft fire etc.) but they did not offer it for old bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
          Can it core a apple? Oh, it can core a apple!

Welcome, Seb!
          Hi Rob,
          Thanks, I suppose that this concludes the turn signals discussion! I thought that issue could be caused by corroded contacts, but strangely the signals do work when the bike is idle, and hardly when it is moving.

Comment

Originally posted by Seb View Post
            Hi, that's because there is a K&N filter in the airbox and a 4in1 exhaust, which seems to increase airflow. I tried to set the air screws according to specifications (2,25 turns) and the pipes turned red hot quite quickly.
            That shouldn't happen with just an aftermarket filter.
            Have you checked valve clearances lately?
            Did you leave it idling without a fan blowing on the engine?
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
              That shouldn't happen with just an aftermarket filter.
              Have you checked valve clearances lately?
              Did you leave it idling without a fan blowing on the engine?

Hi Steve,
              Yes yes, I checked and corrected valve clearance before trying to reset the air screws to specifications, and I left it idling in open cold air without a fan : the center pipes turned sightly red at idling, and all four pipes went full red at 4000rpm.
              To be complete the previous owner installed the aftermarket exhaust, and I installed the K&N airfilter to replace the crumbling stock filter.
              The center cylinders air screws had been almost closed by the previous owner, and Cyl 1 and 4 screws were open to perhaps half specifications.
              It's quite possible that there are air leaks from the airbox and perhaps carb O-rings (although idling is stable).
              The side rubber gaskets of the airbox are loose and hard to fit, and the top foam gasket of the airfilter case seems a bit crushed...
              I have received new O-rings and a sigma6 kit with two main jet sizes that should fit the current filter/exhaust.
              I plan to install all that and follow BassCliff's instructions on airtightning the airbox, hope it will do!
              Seb

Comment

Originally posted by Seb View Post
                Hi Trevor,
                My insurer (Macif) charges a little under 120 euros a year. This corresponds to the minimum compulsory coverage (liability toward «third parties»). I tried to get extra coverage (theft fire etc.) but they did not offer it for old bikes.
                So what is the total amount? 120 plus how much is the "minimum compulsory coverage"? Cheers
                No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                  So what is the total amount? 120 plus how much is the "minimum compulsory coverage"? Cheers
                  120 euros is the total annual insurance cost. That's the legally mandated minimum coverage, ie whatever damage I could cause to third parties up to 100 millions euros, without deduction.
                  Seems cheap I guess... maybe it's because I was already paying for other vehicles, and they somehow assumed that I couldn't drive two at the same time
                  or they thought that a 1972 rider on a 1979 GS are both too old for speed, but they should know better...
                  Also I have a 50% rebate which applies after 10 or 11 years without accident. I keep fingers crossed, though not while riding, so luck may not last forever...

Comment

Working...
                  X