Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crankcase join

Hi all.
    i have sussed out the gearbox now, i have a question regarding joining the cases, the manual says to build the crankshaft and gear clusters into the top case then lower the bottom on to it, will the selector forks self align ?, or is there a knack to getting them into the gears, i was told by someone to build it all in the bottom case then lower the top on to it but if i do that how do i align the pins in the main bearings in the top case ?. The manual is a little vague.
    Thanks
    Andy
    andyp, 1977 GS750B 8 Valve engine

As far as I've always known and done, you "build" everything with the top case upside-down on your bench, then lower the bottom case onto that. It's pretty straightforward; only a little fiddling with the shift forks is usually needed.

That's what the manuals say, and as you correctly surmise, that's how it's designed to be done. You'd never be able to get those pins on top of the crank bearings in exactly the correct place, and the C-clips that precisely locate the transmission components are all on the top half of the bearings.

There's some bad advice or a misunderstanding somewhere...
    Last edited by bwringer; 01-12-2021, 11:22 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Build it into the top case and lower the bottom as already mentioned.
      The selector forks are easily aligned through the sump opening before the pan is fitted.
      Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
      VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

thanks, that's how i see it

Comment

Thanks, I will do that using the sump opening

Comment

Working...
          X