GS1000 1979 UK wiring look questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 1979 UK wiring look questions

Hi All, I'm restoring a UK GS1000 1979 which doesn't have the 12345 gear indicator. I have come across 2 connectors by the coil packs, one light green and the other is black, the same connectors are in the headlight. My question is what are they for or are theyGS3.jpg just not used on the UK bikes. In the Haynes manual there is mention of a terminal which takes a positive feed but doesn't appear to go anywhere. This is item 10 in the photo and it also appears fused. What and where is this. I didn't strip the bike hence my confusion.

go to this site and peek at colored wiring diagrams . Some don’t work ,but
    Have a look at the diagram from a 79 gs850 maybe there are clues

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

If Suzuki was consistent with wiring colours across the different bikes (which I think they were), on my 850 light green is power to right turn signals and black is power to left turn signals.
      1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Many thanks for this, a great help. Anyone know what the output terminal is ?? it is shown above the battery and links to starter solenoid I can't get my head around what it is or does.

Comment

Looking at my 78 US model, the connectors by the coils is for the turn signal beeper.
          Yes, an audible device on the signals to remind you that the signal is activated
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Turn signal beeper? That's an new one for me. Now I kind of want one.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

My '73 CB750 has one. Most people disconnect them but I hooked it up to try it out. Maybe people will think I'm gonna back up over them and they'll move back a bit

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Turn signal beeper? That's an new one for me. Now I kind of want one.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Is the bleeper like a little horn? I'm intrigued.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LeT View Post
                  Yes. Take a look at:

79 GS1000S
                  79 GS1000S (another one)
                  80 GSX750
                  80 GS550
                  80 CB650 cafe racer
                  75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                  75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

A fun and potentially must-have classic accessory :-)
                    GSX400FX - very broken and in boxes; on its way to recovery after burning out a valve and being hidden away in my own garage for 28 years.

Comment

Originally posted by LeT View Post
                      Yes it is and only came on models without self cancelling signals if I remember correctly. Most got tossed in the bin.
                      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Dang, ya'll just jostled my memory, I haven't thought about those old beepers in 42 yrs. Disconnecting that thing was one of the first things I did to my old GS1000 & haven't thought about it since. But to restore one of these old bikes, that "should" be a must. Probably a lot of other stuff I've forgot.
                        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                        X