gs550l choke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs550l choke

hi all so after my dad pulled the carbs off again to check specifically ino 4 he cant see nothing wrong pulled out all the jets etc cleaned again .ive had a look and just wondering how the choke works beacuse one thing that was happening was when started no throttle no choke bike idled ok but if i put choke on revs increased but when shut choke off revs hanged then if i turned engine off and restarted revs were normal again.i see the little hole the choke uncovers under the diaphram when choke is on does it pull air through this hole which increases pressure under the diaphram lifting slide up for choke! cheers paul

You can’t just look at these carbs and decide “they’re clean”. There are tiny passages in carb body that feed/control the idle and low speed circuits . Once clogged, bike will start but will behave badly.
    3087F1A4-B541-40DA-91C7-027AECCFF340.jpg

the little hole under diaphragm feeds air to choke plunger..making a mixture ....it doesn’t do any lifting cuz at startup and low speed diaphragm isn’t functioning. However if “choke” is left on ,this excess mixture will cause high idle
    Last edited by tom203; 01-13-2021, 03:29 PM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by bean1969 View Post
      hi all so after my dad pulled the carbs off again to check specifically ino 4 he cant see nothing wrong pulled out all the jets etc cleaned again .ive had a look and just wondering how the choke works beacuse one thing that was happening was when started no throttle no choke bike idled ok but if i put choke on revs increased but when shut choke off revs hanged then if i turned engine off and restarted revs were normal again.i see the little hole the choke uncovers under the diaphram when choke is on does it pull air through this hole which increases pressure under the diaphram lifting slide up for choke! cheers paul

Here's an animation showing what happens when the choke is opened.

Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Many thanks for that animation.
        Amazing how much is going on with all the overlapping circuits.
        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

While the carbs are off, now's the time to give the carbs a proper cleaning and new O rings
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Just two suggestions here.

1. What year is your bike? Over the years, there were THREE different types of carbs on a 550L, it would be nice to know which ones are being discussed.

2. Punctuation, spelling and grammar are your friends. Your post is a bit hard to read, but I got most of it.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, at least hit the space bar at he end of each sentence

Then, go to your settings, signature and put 1982 GS 550L there

You need http://zeus.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage..._77-82_all.pdf

and, while your Dad may resent it, read this 1st https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...bie%20mistakes
              It's the hundreds of years of our accumulated knowledge, created by doing things the wrong way, then figuring out the right way

PS, CycleOrings.com ships worldwide
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Newbie Mistakes thread and carb rebuild tutorial linked in my signature. Both should help you.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                  You can’t just look at these carbs and decide “they’re clean”. There are tiny passages in carb body that feed/control the idle and low speed circuits . Once clogged, bike will start but will behave badly.
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]62269[/ATTACH]

the little hole under diaphragm feeds air to choke plunger..making a mixture ....it doesn’t do any lifting cuz at startup and low speed diaphragm isn’t functioning. However if “choke” is left on ,this excess mixture will cause high idle
                  hi thanks for all the replies can you get to clean these little passages, the carbs have been cleaned in the bath twice at a shop,i havent had chance yet to look at all the tutorials but i will .the carbs havent just been looked at everything that we could take out or apart has been and cleaned, i will order some orings too.so when the choke is open how is it richening the mixture! thanks for all your help paul

Comment

hi roger nice video thanks for your help but not how my choke works mine is a 1982gs550l and when choke is pulled a slide opens up a hole under the diaphram trying to work out how this richens the mixture! regards paul.

Comment

That video is not perfectly correct, but it's close enough to give the idea.

First of all, "choke" is a term that does not technically apply here. What we have on our carbs is an "enrichment system". The system does the same thing, but it does it by opening specific ports to supply a richer mixture not by closing off the inlet of the carb to choke it.

If you actually had the carbs all the way apart, you would have seen the brass plunger that would slide horizontally to uncover that hole under the diaphragm. When holding the plunger, you should have seen the pin on the end. When the plunger is pulled to richen the mixture, the larger barrel part uncovers the air port, that pin moves away from a fuel port that goes down into the float bowl.

One other thing to note is STARTING TECHNIQUE. Because of the way the enrichment system works, it relies on the high vacuum of a CLOSED throttle. When trying to start the cold engine, you turn the key ON, move your "choke" lever to somewhere between 1/2 and full ON, pull the clutch lever and push the starter button. Do NOT touch the throttle. If you move the throttle AT ALL, the open throttle butterflies will destroy the high vacuum that is needed to pull the gas through the enrichment circuit. Once the engine is running, adjust fast idle speed with the "choke" lever, NOT the throttle.

You say the carbs have been "cleaned in the bath twice at the shop".
                      What liquid was in the bath? How long were the carbs in the bath?

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

choke gs550l 1982

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        That video is not perfectly correct, but it's close enough to give the idea.

First of all, "choke" is a term that does not technically apply here. What we have on our carbs is an "enrichment system". The system does the same thing, but it does it by opening specific ports to supply a richer mixture not by closing off the inlet of the carb to choke it.

If you actually had the carbs all the way apart, you would have seen the brass plunger that would slide horizontally to uncover that hole under the diaphragm. When holding the plunger, you should have seen the pin on the end. When the plunger is pulled to richen the mixture, the larger barrel part uncovers the air port, that pin moves away from a fuel port that goes down into the float bowl.

One other thing to note is STARTING TECHNIQUE. Because of the way the enrichment system works, it relies on the high vacuum of a CLOSED throttle. When trying to start the cold engine, you turn the key ON, move your "choke" lever to somewhere between 1/2 and full ON, pull the clutch lever and push the starter button. Do NOT touch the throttle. If you move the throttle AT ALL, the open throttle butterflies will destroy the high vacuum that is needed to pull the gas through the enrichment circuit. Once the engine is running, adjust fast idle speed with the "choke" lever, NOT the throttle.

You say the carbs have been "cleaned in the bath twice at the shop".
                        What liquid was in the bath? How long were the carbs in the bath?

hi steve great i see now i will check out how they were cleaned,its been abit awkward for me as its my dad that has done work and i recently got involved to help him out as he is 80yrs old he doesnt have a laptop to get this valuable info and he is getting abit downbeat im more of a 2 stroke guy as i race 2 strokes,so i havent come across carbs like these before and certainly not 4 in one go, now i understand how and where the mixture is getting enrichend i will check these passageways out for the fuel, i could see what the brass slide was doing with the air but didnt realize it was also letting fuel in too thanks for all help regards paul

Comment

Just note you won’t be able to see them very well. What everyone is really trying to say is do the work yourself using the procedures Nessism wrote and you’ll be better off. You can also send them to someone here on the forum to do for you
                          sigpic
                          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                          X