Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New RR installed w/Triumph leads Question?

Yes, ^^^that's a good point if he's talking about the old honda sensewire, but I thought he's putting a new R/R in with out an extra wire...
    So I put a new SH775 on last night & previously....
    ??

Have I missed something? If the rectifier output has been connected to the battery there should be a fuse on the+ wire I belive 30amp.
    i would have favoured connecting the + from the rectifier to the loom where the original connection was made.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    Francis Barnett

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Gorminrider View Post
    Yes, ^^^that's a good point if he's talking about the old honda sensewire, but I thought he's putting a new R/R in with out an extra wire...??
    And he was asking about wire that seemed to be leftover, and he just taped it off. I was suggesting it probably is the sence wire from the dunnage honda R/R (not used on SH775), and he will find it tapped into the brake light circuit, and could be removed, and brake light circuit put back together.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter Turk View Post
    I rode the bike today to top off the gas tank, since it's just mostly hibernating in the garage.

3 wires from RR to Stator, +/- directly to battery, orange Y taped off by fuse box, but main Orange going to connector in fuse box.

Will need to have a look at the stator sooner than later as the bike seems to lose voltage while just sitting in the garage.

I trickled charged the AGM battery yesterday, showing 12.8 ish, before I topped off the gas this morning, it was 12.33V.

When I returned, voltage was down to 12.15V, after maybe only 10 miles.

The wiring harness is in pretty good shape (not molested) so I don't think there's a wire rubbing thru the insulation anywhere on the frame rails.

The old original "loop de loop" connector for the stator is still there coming off the main wiring harness, but unplugged to anything.

Signals, headlight, brake light, instrument cluster lights all worked fine on the short little ride. Any other place to suggest looking for draining voltage

while sitting in the garage?
    Well,very very possibly the battery is no good. Happens to AGM too believe it or not. Disconnect a battery cable from a battery post either will do-or both to be superduper sure ! and see if it loses that much overnight. A good battery will test above 12.5 after being left overnight and longer.

Freshly charged batteries always test wonderful just after charging. But by definition a bad battery won't hold a charge. After the charger and you let them rest, they settle down to what they really are able to hold.

If it seems alright with the voltage good after sitting unconnected,it's good. If it tests 12.2 or less it's on it's way out. That done, Only then look for leakage...which there really can't be unless the keyswitch is full of corrosion crap or the red wire attached to it is somehow doing it....

As to charging, the old old saw is to test the voltage across the two terminals when motor running. 13.8->14.5 or so...depending on rpm.
    Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-17-2021 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
    Have I missed something? If the rectifier output has been connected to the battery there should be a fuse on the+ wire I belive 30amp.
    i would have favoured connecting the + from the rectifier to the loom where the original connection was made.
    No missing anything, I've been around here since 96, but still struggle with electrical diagnosis of issues, obviously...
    Guess I've gotten away for the most part w/o ever connecting a fuse, between the RR & battery.

The original connection suggested is where most GS electrical issues reside, in the redundant loop thru the loom, unless I'm missing something.

The battery was purchased in November of 2020, though I suppose it could be a lemon with only 70 miles on it.

Could the stator have a parasitic draw from grounding of the wires in the windings?

Otherwise, where else in the harness, would be drawing down voltage overnight if the battery is good?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES