Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GS850GN Motard 4 into 1 exhaust. What's the opinion of the forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850GN Motard 4 into 1 exhaust. What's the opinion of the forum?

So, after a re-jet and intake pods installed is it time to look at the restrictive nature of a 4 into 1? These Motard stainless pipes were very popular in the UK in the 70's Why? I personally love the twin pipe look. However. here I am.
    My chopper building cousin calls them 'Slowtards' and suggested 50% off of the muffler would be a power output advantage. Obs this is tricky, needing new attatch points and a bit of TIG but i'm up for it.
    Before I go ahead I'd like a view from the crew. Whaddee reckon? Cheers now.

In my experience, they made little difference, positive or negative. The good point was they didn't normally require you to re-jet, and they were fairly cheap. Bad point was they didn't offer any performance advantage (except maybe a slight weight saving over original), and they were ugly. Oh, and they weren't necessarily stainless. For most models you had the option, stainless or chrome.
    1980 GS550ET

Comment

You've got to go with what you can get, what you can afford, and what looks good to you. I personally haven't seen anything that I like the look of better than the original Suzuki mufflers. I can't stand those "blued" exhaust pipes that remind me of my old Triumph 500cc days, but apparently some people love 'em!
      sigpic
      '77 GS550B
      '78 GS550C

Comment

MOTAD, not Motard.
        Nothing wrong with them, they work quite well.
        Unfortunately, they disappeared off the market some years ago, and there's next to no chance of any spares available, so you're left with buying used if you find one in good nick.
        My stainless one lasted 30 years, and the downpipes finally became paper-thin, but the collector + silencer is still good.
        Here's a tip - stainless isn't all the same, and stainless does not equal everlasting or indestructible.
        Hoping to find another one as good, I snagged a chromed Motad in sound condition, but I just know it will rot away and blow its guts out same as every other mild steel bit of rubbish in a few years.
        So, I bought a Delkovic.
        Noisy bstad altogether. Totally antisocial racket from it, but I noticed one thing - it flows really, really well. While I wasn't conscious of the Motad restricting flow at all, the difference between that and the Delko is noticeable.
        However, I had to sacrifice some flow for noise abatement.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

MOTAD! Sorry for being a retad. So chopping it down would be daft if they are saught after. Hmmm. Still like the twin pipes idea. Was it the stainless at the price that drew everyone to it dya think?

Comment

True. I'm still thinking a shrink in the size of the baffle might look pretty cool. Then i've still got the MOTAD metal to last me out.

Comment

I got the stainless one, so that's a score!

Comment

Steve, I just seen that you are in Cornwall too. Hell-up! I've jetted and podded so i figured if i'm going for rogue, 'tis MOT exempt now so as long as it doesn't sound like a panic attack, i can get away with a few dbs.

Comment

Geddon! Decibels shouldn't be a big deal, unless you're in Rock or somewhere like that.

Can't say they are particularly sought-after, but they're useful now for the same reason as back in the day - a cheap way to keep the bike on the road. I don't think Greenpeace or the preservation police will be issuing warrants if you chop one up.
                  1980 GS550ET

Comment

In my experience Motad were good and there was no need to rejet, ime pretty sure the later ones had stainless down pipes but the muffler was chromed mild steel.
                    My bike is fitted with one and has been for 30 years ( two actually in 30 years) and I have never thought it restricted the power.
                    in fact I have a brand new complete Motad in the loft which I picked up years ago (no it's not for sale)
                    Would love an Oem exhaust if you can get one but the cost would outway the benefit twin pipes look better than 4into 1
                    Last edited by fastbysuzuki; 01-15-2021, 02:56 PM.
                    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                    past bikes. RF900
                    TL1000s
                    Hayabusa
                    gsx 750f x2
                    197cc Francis Barnett
                    various British nails

Comment

Working...
                    X