Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
    Everything looking good for this trip so far. Bike is getting ready day by day. Won't be painted, but will be mechanically sound. And don't act like you've never ridden next to an ugly bike before, LOL.
    We've all seen our share of "ugly" old bikes at these GS rallies. No worries.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by 1978GS750E View Post
      Just one month until the rally! And.....only 28 days until I get started on getting the bike ready! LOL

Ron,your bike must only need an oil change then?

Comment

Originally posted by Spyder View Post
        Everything looking good for this trip so far. Bike is getting ready day by day. Won't be painted, but will be mechanically sound. And don't act like you've never ridden next to an ugly bike before, LOL.
        Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
        We've all seen our share of "ugly" old bikes at these GS rallies. No worries.
        Oh my goodness! If you ever saw any of the bikes that PainterDave showed up on, you'd know you have nothing to worry about. Those bikes weren't even mechanically sound, much less aesthetically anything. And then there was the bike painted completely in bed liner. Certainly had more texture than your average motorcycle paint job!
        Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
        Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Note that Painter Dave was a house painter... as you can see from this photo of Dave's delightfully dilapidated machine in Galena in 2006:

The man. The legend. Say what you will about his motorcycle, Dave always got there. And back. Somehow.

Note the wooden bracket for the driving lights. I remember the wiring literally rendered me speechless for a moment, then I decided to just avert my eyes.

Man, I miss Dave. We all learned a lot from him.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I had to shake my head but give him credit for the All thread luggage rack he had on the above pictured bike when I met him in Missouri in 2006.
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

We're planning on having my son over for dinner tonight and afterwards nail down some logistical details regarding our trip to Bedford. He and I haven't ridden together for months and we, or I at least, tend to forget how much fun it is to share the experience. Seeing and riding with some folks from the GSR family will be awesome as well! In about three weeks we'll make some lasting memories I'm sure.
              Last edited by Burque73; 05-18-2021, 10:32 AM.
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

It's really not too bad. Just needs to be painted.

Oh, and my rims are now 2 different colors, because Dupli-Color changed their numbers at some point in the last 15 years. Long story... It's a temporary thing until I can get them powder coated anyway, LOL.

So far, in the last couple weeks, I have replaced the tires, wheel bearings, rear rotor, steering damper, battery, chain & sprockets, and from rim.
                Still need to change oil, and drop a main jet size. I think she will be completely ready for the season after all that...
                '83 GS 1100T
                The Jet

sigpic
                '95 GSXR 750w
                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

I think this will end up just being a weakened getaway... Norm, going to need to layover at your place in Youngstown.
                  Going to stay off the Slab as much as possible for this one.
                  Chain is due on the Fazer, Likely be taking that out for the long weekend blast.
                  Looking forward to seeing you guys!
                  Jedz Moto
                  1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                  1988 Honda GL1500-6
                  2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                  2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                  2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                  Originally posted by Hayabuser
                  Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                    Oh my goodness! If you ever saw any of the bikes that PainterDave showed up on, you'd know you have nothing to worry about. Those bikes weren't even mechanically sound, much less aesthetically anything. And then there was the bike painted completely in bed liner. Certainly had more texture than your average motorcycle paint job!
                    The bed liner bike is still a regular at BC, you just don't recognize it.
                    Dogma
                    --
                    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      The bed liner bike is still a regular at BC, you just don't recognize it.
                      Still amazed that you were able to remove that stuff. It was unique though. Have to give you that!

Actually, that bike is still pretty unique. And now famous. At Gingerman at least
                      Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                      Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        Still amazed that you were able to remove that stuff. It was unique though. Have to give you that!

Actually, that bike is still pretty unique. And now famous. At Gingerman at least
                        It's pretty easy to remove. You just unbolt it and buy something else. I still have all the linered parts. I kinda miss it sometimes.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

What to bring?

Should we bring an easy up canopy? In photos posted of previous rallys there are canopies in the parking lot of the Rosemount. Do members bring those?

Folding camp type chairs?

Since most folks will ride to this and we'll have a small SUV, is there anything we should or could bring? Within reason of course...
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The awnings you see in the photos belong to Steve, Mrs Steve, and their crew. And I believe they will be there.

But folding chairs are nice. I usually bring a couple in the truck, since I tow in.
                            Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                              Should we bring an easy up canopy? In photos posted of previous rallys there are canopies in the parking lot of the Rosemount. Do members bring those?

Folding camp type chairs?

Since most folks will ride to this and we'll have a small SUV, is there anything we should or could bring? Within reason of course...
                              How about bringing a jar of Hatch Chilli Salsa. 🙂
                              My Motorcycles:
                              22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                              22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                              82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                              81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                              79 1000e (all original)
                              82 850g (all original)
                              80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I am considering the idea of towing in as well. If I do I will bring as many chairs as I can, as well as tools and other essentials. I no longer have my EZ-up, loaned it out, and never got it back...
                                '83 GS 1100T
                                The Jet

sigpic
                                '95 GSXR 750w
                                The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Working...
                                X