Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
    I suspect that is the "mug shot" from admission to jail, complete with the jail suit.
    Well, can say at least now she has some more substantial clothing.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Currently in the Stable :
      2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
      1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
      - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

BIKES & More Bikes

The Overlook

Side trip to Kentucky

Waiting for the highway to get Open again - there was a bad wreck - Flight for life for some poor soul

Followed my GPS -- Got me to a 'shortcut'
        Only about 7/10ths of a mile of gravel - why not venture it ?
        At the 2/10ths mark the 'road' dead-ended

Currently in the Stable :
        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Man, great pictures so far. THanks Carl, greg, adam , Mr Daniels and all.
          Its almost like I dont need to post mine.
          (But not going to let that stop me.)

I do have some cell phone shots of motel lot scenes.
          (What I lost are mostly the roadside-bike-scenery shots.)
          Last edited by Redman; 06-14-2021, 11:21 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Me about to depart. Just got that bike 5 days prior due to the 1150RT craping out with a major failure -a g a i n-.

Meet up with Tim twr (1100) and Greg Wazz (850). Greg had just gotten it running a few days ago.
            Neil also meetup there with a brand new 2020 BMWGSA. Was lots of joking about him having a new bike for every rally, and questions about what happened to the BMW GLT, and what happened to the 2018 GoldWing.

Greg gbw, dave ddaniels, dale dogma, scott cowboy, Stephan standing around Dales 850 (having GK side bags).
            Stephans (user name escapes me now) first year and came with his dad too.

misc line up of bikes along the motel. What is particularly unique is the parking lot is away from the road.
            Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Roger Burque from Alburqure, chatting with Carl Wingsconson. Maybe about Carls new electrong guages that he managed to fit in the stock housing and convert to the wring.
              Bonita and Jay back by table starting to set up for dinner.

Stephan VGPlay (450L) with his dad Pete (BMW GSA).
              This was the start of me going to get picture of everybody by their bikes. But I didnt do well at that at all.

Maybe half of the group siting around under the Steve-Bonita big awnings. THose awnings are great for shade, and great for when was raining.

Misc late night chatting.
              Brian bwringer(hat)., ROger Burque (back) , Adam (Roger son), Steve Steve, Larry Alkie.

< more tommorow >
              Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Some more pictures from my side of things:

Breakfast at a great little place in Bedford called Apron Strings Cafe; did anyone here make these back in Home Ec?

Apron Strings Cafe by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Rode out to find Cataract Falls north of Bloomington along some nice back roads. I should have grabbed my zoom lens from the backpack

Upper Cataract Falls by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Then after getting caught in one heck of a torrential downpour, I made it over to the Tulip Trestle for a quick view before the rains came again

Tulip Trestle by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Friday night Socializing

Evening Gathering by Scott Baker, on Flickr

and Parking lot maintenance

Parking Lot Maintenance by Scott Baker, on Flickr

A nice 450T showed up; I can't remember whose this was now but please send me that PM and I'll send you the link as we talked about.

GS450T by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Charmayne and her boyfriend arrived late Friday night to spend time with everyone and follow me south to Culbertson Mansion in New Albany

Culbertson Mansion by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Charmayne and Joe at Williams Bridge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

And finally we visited the Medora Brick Plant before leaving Sunday

Bandit at Medora Brick Mill by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I know now I missed quite a bit on this years gathering.I'm glad to see the pics;love those trestles that pass through the woods also !
                  The 82' blue GS450TXZ is very much exactly like the one I purchased in 2018' although in Much better condition than mine.
                  Last edited by grcamna2; 06-15-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

450T is Stephan's (not the 550T I may have stated previously). Stephan's first GSR rally, and he brought his dad along (BMW GSA). He said he will be back. I am probably spelling name wrong (and I dont recall user name).

>>later note
                    user name is VGPlay
                    Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 02:11 PM.

Comment

Thursday morning I had bought a bottle of water and a bottle of gatoraid for the days travels. But later that evening I realized I still had most of it remaining - oh oh, not good.
                      Friday morning I was still feeling the effects of THursadays travels in the 90+ heat. SO I didnt get an early start, and didnt want an all day ride. Roger Burque, Teresa , Adam and I went for a ride on 450 to Williams bridge.

And then continued on 450 (despite the scattered stone on the new pavement, was pretty much okay in the tire tracks).
                      Stopped in Shoals at an overlook.

It seems that these folks from NewMexico like to look at trees and comment on how "lush and green everything is".

Went back to Bedford for lunch. And then back to the motel about 230, about the time dark clouds rolled in, and then a big downpour. All but about 5 bikes were out and about yet.
                      Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Saturday.
                        Had a Jay breakfast.
                        Here is Jay encouraging me to have whipcream on my waffles, but I let him put some on the fruit.

Headed out on my own. Had water and gatoraid and made a better effort of haveing some at every stop.

Wandered around Tunnelton and Ft Rictner road. Got lost, wandered around some more, then set GPS on the "Brick Kilns" I found stored in my favorites. Turned around to headin right direction, and found Steve and Bonita on side of road, also checking GPS and deciding to turn around. I mentioned that I was going to the Brick Kilns, and they said they never been there but have heard of it and would follow me. I said that was a bad idea, but they did anyway, and we went on about 6 different roads all getting smaller and rougher. At each stop sign Steve would say "Humm, never been on that road before." I was wondering what it was that was enterd into my gps, must have been two or more years ago, labeled as "Old Brick Kilns". I was wondering because I knew it was just off Ft Rickner Road outside Medora, but we were going all over. Went past the mark on the GPS, but still no brick plant, but we were on Old Brick Plant Road so went along an other mile or so, and there it was.

The area has been cleared of brush, and some of the buildings now have door and windows.
                        Walked around some looking for photo shots with camera , that I later lost on the highway home. Also got a couple cell phone shots.
                        Bonita reading us stuff from a web site she found.

Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

From there Steve and Bonita headed to Medora covered bridge, I was just gonna wander. I made it into Medora and meet Steve and Bonita on side of road again. Both thier bikes wett and Steves paint legs wet. Said was water over the road approaching the bridge. Said first couple places were only an inch or two deep, but the third was deeper, so turned around.

I headed north on 135,

which I knew had road closed and detourts that Brian had described. But all detours and bypasses and local roads I went on also had road closed, and I found similar on 58 and its bypasses. So ended up going all way back to 50. HAd a quick lunch at the gasstation/deli counter at 446. Then headed north on 446 which has some great sweepers and some curves and goes along a big resivour with lots of boats. Crossed thru Bloomingtom without a problem other than being hot at the stop lights. And made it over to 48 and 43 for some more good riding.

And to Sollisbery and the Tulip Trestle.
                          Had some more good photo shooting (with camera that I lost).
                          But also got a couple shots on cell phone also

And back to the motel about 430.

Good day, other than pulling into motel and seeing Steve and Adam around the FJR with no windscreen and only one mirror and body panels out of place. Good thing was that Adam was standing there, and it didnt involve Roger nor Teresa. Hey, could use the zip ties I carry. Part way thru the effort to zip tie the body panels somewhat in place, Steve gets a call for a rescue mission with trailer for Spyder down.
                          Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2021, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Wow, there's a lot to catch up on here. Thanks for great pics and writeups.

Just a quick update on our journey home. We're in Western Oklahoma now, and should be rolling through Amarillo around lunchtime. We got separated in Oklahoma city yesterday and finally met back up on I-40. Not likely to happen today since it's a straight shot from here.
                            Roger

Current rides
                            1983 GS 850G
                            2003 FJR 1300A
                            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Brenden FoxyBlankWorthy working on t/signal wiring crimp connectors that came apart.

Discussion around Brian bwringer's FZ-09.
                              THis must be Thursday or Friday, that is Casey Spyder walking up on the left.
                              Brian bwringer, Ron GS750, and Dale dogma.

THis Thursday or Friday also.
                              Greg Wazz, Victor Vblock1100, Tim twr1776, Storming Norm talking aroun Tims real nice 1100L. TIm has three real nice Ls that have had the L modified out of them.

Okay, thats all my pics that I have remaining.
                              Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2021, 05:01 PM.

Comment

THis event is something I look forward to every year, and is one of the best things for me all year. I did really miss it last year.

And.. then... this year .... about a week before departure, my 1150RT craps out on me - - a g a i n- - with an expensive major failure - - a g a i n - -
                                GK is is still disassembled (long story), and was looking like was gonna be riding Honda Shadow 500 (that would be terrible harsh) or buy sons old Tiger1050. But managed to work out a deal with BMW dealer to take the remains of the 1150 in on trade-in for a 1200, probably not a good deal, but got me out from under the 1150 and more importantly got me a bike for the rally weekend. Anyway, I say all that to show how important this is to me.

I thank Brian for what he does to make this work out for all of us, arranging for the rooms and coordinating with Jay Rosemount, and the maps.

I thank Steve and Bonita for arranging for the big top awning and arranging for the Friday & Saturday dinners. Was great.

And I thank all the folks that make this socially awkward guy feel welcome and a part of it.

Maybe next year I can get a decent GPS that accepts tracks/routes and can do better and more for leading a small group.

Comment

Working...
                                X