Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redman View Post
    THis event is something I look forward to every year, and is one of the best things for me all year. I did really miss it last year.

And.. then... this year .... about a week before departure, my 1150RT craps out on me - - a g a i n- - with an expensive major failure - - a g a i n - -
    GK is is still disassembled (long story), and was looking like was gonna be riding Honda Shadow 500 (that would be terrible harsh) or buy sons old Tiger1050. But managed to work out a deal with BMW dealer to take the remains of the 1150 in on trade-in for a 1200, probably not a good deal, but got me out from under the 1150 and more importantly got me a bike for the rally weekend. Anyway, I say all that to show how important this is to me.

I thank Brian for what he does to make this work out for all of us, arranging for the rooms and coordinating with Jay Rosemount, and the maps.

I thank Steve and Bonita for arranging for the big top awning and arranging for the Friday & Saturday dinners. Was great.

And I thank all the folks that make this socially awkward guy feel welcome and a part of it.

Maybe next year I can get a decent GPS that accepts tracks/routes and can do better and more for leading a small group.

Dave,I'd like to find a GPS/App? that will track 'greenpaths' or trails Plus public roads(asphalt or gravel),would give me more choices.

Comment

Had folks and bikes there from 6 states

New Mexico being a new one.

We missed having some of the regulars from Kentucky and Florida and Illinois and Tennessee.

>> Later note: Oh, wait,
      Ron 78GS750E is from Kentucky, I guess I missed his plate.
      Neil from Illinois?
      So that would make 7 or possibly 8 states.
      Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 12:18 AM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Made a third trip back (30 miles away) to look for my stuff that dumped out on the interstate interchange, this time started looking about 3 miles back. Found a couple more items about mile and a half back from some stuff I found on 2nd trip.

This is what I found of my camera.

I recognized the pattern holes in the metal as being the pattern of buttons on back of camera.
        Had a state trooper stop and help me decide to abandon my search for the memory card.

And a view of the skuff on side bag where cover opened up, broke the lanyard, and dragged on pavement

(minor compared to other mishaps at the rally)
        Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 08:06 AM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Finally, at home in Albuquerque. What an adventure.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Made a third trip back to look for my stuff that dumped out on the interstate interchange, this time started looking about 3 miles back. Found a couple more items about mile and a half back from some stuff I found on 2nd trip.

I recognized the pattern holes in the metal as being the pattern of buttons on back of camera.
            Had a state trooper stop and help me decide to abandon my search for the memory card.

And a view of the skuff on side bag
            So sorry that happened, Dave.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
              Glad y'all made it home safe. Great meeting you and your family. Thanks for coming out!
              Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
              Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Made a third trip back to look for my stuff that dumped out on the interstate interchange, this time started looking about 3 miles back. Found a couple more items about mile and a half back from some stuff I found on 2nd trip.

Wow! Not much left. Too bad the memory card wasn't right there. They're so small. Like searching for a needle in a haystack.
                Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  Good, Roger.
                  Thanks for update.

After a while, Do tell us more of your adventure, how the FJR zip tie job heldup for the return trip.
                  And do post more pics.
                  And do report on the 850G and its 2500 mile trip (3000?).

Was good to meet you and yours. Glad you made the trip.
                  Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                    Wow! Not much left. Too bad the memory card wasn't right there. . . . . . . . .
                    I imagine there were other chunks of metal, and loose pieces of glass lenses, and knobs and such scattered about somewhere. And the SD memory card, somewhere, but probably deformed. Was at area where is four lane wide, about no shoulder, just enough room for bike, and cement walls on both sides. And splits into two lanes for north I-131 and two lanes for I-96 in about a mile so lots of lane changing going on. Man, all sorts of junk on side of urban interstate highway.

Did find my spare gs1100 stator, and gs oil fill cap (both undamaged, first search), but not the gs fuse block.
                    Found pair of favorite cool weather gloves, and found rain suit.
                    Saw one old mesh glove about three lanes over but want gonna dodge traffic for it.
                    Found one rain boot.
                    Saw stuff like remnants of bag of earplugs and sunscreen squished and scattered.

State Trooper asked me how I thought about walking on narrow shoulder of interstate. I said (more like shouted) that I used to work for county road commission and got accustom to being in/next to traffic (and stepping out in gaps in traffic). He nodded his head in agreement/understanding.
                    Then he asked me about "side bag opened up" and wanted to look at it, which I thought was peculiar, Then he said his '06 RT has the same bags. Then he asked me if the plate was register to me, I said yes, and was expecting to have to show ID, but he didnt ask. So I figured he put the plate number (and my name from the plate) in some report.

So I probably got wrote up in police report for a second time that weekend.
                    Last edited by Redman; 06-15-2021, 11:09 PM.

Comment

So I probably got wrote up in police report for a second time that weekend.
                      Took me a second to process that. But I suppose the first time was Meth Girl and her associated shenanigans in the parking lot. You're becoming notorious!

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
                        Took me a second to process that. But I suppose the first time was Meth Girl and her associated shenanigans in the parking lot. You're becoming notorious!
                        "Meth girl".....hahaha
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Why couldn't last weekend's weather be like this! Dang!
                          weather.jpg
                          Current Bikes:

Comment

Why couldn't last weekend's weather be like this! Dang!weather.jpg
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                              Why couldn't last weekend's weather be like this! Dang!
                              We should do it again this weekend

Comment

Thank you everyone for being so fun and welcoming! You can plan on seeing me again next year.

Made it back home without incident. My dad and I had a great weekend. Southern Indiana was beautiful and I was impressed by the countless twisty roads to ride on. I love classic motels like the Rosemount, it was clean and made a nice home base. Jay did more than enough to be a great host, does that man rest?

All in we did about 1000 miles of riding! My 450 was a total champ, revved up and down in the hills all weekend and Sunday held 60mph+ for almost 8 hours. Probably the most miles in the shortest amount of time she's ever seen.

Wish I had pictures to share, unfortunately when we got home I realized I hadn't taken many over the weekend. I think someone got a picture of me and my dad, if you could PM it to me I'd appreciate it!
                                1982 Suzuki GS450TXZ
                                1985 Honda CB700SC Nighthawk S
                                2015 Suzuki V-Strom DL650

Comment

Working...
                                X