Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 Brown County Indiana GS Thang - June 10-13 - SAVE THE DATE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VGplay View Post
    . .
    .!
    Glad you and your dad made the weekend, and good that you enjoyed it.

See post#231 for pic of you& Dad. I meant to get you two and your bikes all in the picture, but was glare on the screen, shot did not include your bike. You might be able to snag that pic from my IMGUR, . . . . or PM me an email addr if you want larger file.

See Post #232 for good pic of your bike. (Contact Scott Cowboy for that.)

You didn't harass your dad any, did yah? (about tipping bike over into a ditch) (we have all done that, put foot out and is nothing there)
    You can just casually say the picture (post #231) must be Friday because don't have the big scratch in windscreen.
    Last edited by Redman; 06-16-2021, 01:46 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by gbw View Post
      We should do it again this weekend
      Tempting...
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I just found out the liner in my helmet is disintegrating. So that's what was getting in my eyes! I guess I should wash it sometimes. $70 for another liner! Oh well, better than $500-$600 for a new helmet.
        Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
          I just found out the liner in my helmet is disintegrating. So that's what was getting in my eyes! I guess I should wash it sometimes. $70 for another liner! Oh well, better than $500-$600 for a new helmet.
          How old is that helmet?
          Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
          Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

Probably the last one to post, but I finally made it back home today (Wed.) at 3:30 p.m.

The wife and I just returned from eating out and this pic shows the ambient air temperature on the car instrument panel. Lovely......

IMG_20210616_182624022 by Larry Alkire, on Flickr

@Redman, how did your camera scramble my license plate #? In the pic it shows as 8X8 X8T....... It should read: 800 XRT.

Maybe when you replace it you will get a better one that doesn't scramble letters and numbers.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E
            '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
            '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
            '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
            '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

We should do it again this weekend
              I'm game; let's go
              sigpic
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Such great pics and writups, not sure what to add. Dave, sorry to hear about the side case incident. All your stuff scattered over the road, damn, that sucks!

Cicadas! OMG cicadas! My wife took one between her nose and top lip because she only had her sun visor down. That smarts! My son had a bee hit his neck and climb up into his helmet, then sting his ear. We were amazed how many critters were out there. In fact, along the way we saw maybe 20 different verieties of road kill until we got back closer to New Mexico. There was absolutely nothing past West Texas on the road or in the air to hit our visors.

The trip was indeed almost 3,000 miles, about 2,900 actually. Both bikes ran amazingly well, no complaints there. The GS used a little over a quart of oil is all.

I/ we really enjoyed meeting you guys. We had a wonderful time at the rally. Didn't take too many pics though. After the fact I thought of several I would have liked to take. I really wanted to get the GS bikes lined up for a shot.

Thought it would have been neat to see them lined up in order ascending like

Honestly, I didn't want to bother folks with such a weird request. After riding all day shuffling tired bikes around in the parking lot may have been just asking for some to take a nap on us.

After Adam's mishap, the FJR has quite a bit of bent or broken plastic. Some mounts are no doubt bent and the mirror broke. Dave, I was hoping you had some shots that showed the extent of the damage. Maybe on that elusive memory card, huh? So sorry about your camera and stuff falling out.

I know you guys will enjoy the chile and or salsa. If you're addicted now, ahem Greg, you're not alone. There's a chile addict meeting every night at El Pinto on 4th St here in Burque.

Thank you for having us. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                  Thursday morning I had bought a bottle of water and a bottle of gatoraid for the days travels. But later that evening I realized I still had most of it remaining - oh oh, not good.
                  Friday morning I was still feeling the effects of THursadays travels in the 90+ heat. SO I didnt get an early start, and didnt want an all day ride. Roger Burque, Teresa , Adam and I went for a ride on 450 to Williams bridge.

And then continued on 450 (despite the scattered stone on the new pavement, was pretty much okay in the tire tracks).
                  Stopped in Shoals at an overlook.

It seems that these folks from NewMexico like to look at trees and comment on how "lush and green everything is".

Went back to Bedford for lunch. And then back to the motel about 230, about the time dark clouds rolled in, and then a big downpour. All but about 5 bikes were out and about yet.

Thanks for posting these Dave. We enjoyed that ride and lunch with you. After chatting over emails and such for so long it was great to finally meet you.

Say, remember when I propped my cellphone against the water bottles? The timer went off before I was ready the first try, but this pic actually came out ok.

Fam. With Redman by Roger, on Flickr
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Didn't take too many pics though. After the fact I thought of several I would have liked to take. I really wanted to get the GS bikes lined up for a shot.

Thought it would have been neat to see them lined up in order ascending like

Honestly, I didn't want to bother folks with such a weird request. After riding all day shuffling tired bikes around in the parking lot may have been just asking for some to take a nap on us.
                    What a great idea. Too bad it didn't happen. Would have been worth the effort to have that pic of all the bikes lined up, and maybe their owners behind them. Oh well, maybe next time

After Adam's mishap, the FJR has quite a bit of bent or broken plastic. Some mounts are no doubt bent and the mirror broke. Dave, I was hoping you had some shots that showed the extent of the damage. Maybe on that elusive memory card, huh? So sorry about your camera and stuff falling out.
                    I captured a few with my crummy cell phone camera.

Untitled by Greg White, on Flickr

I think you can go right to Flicker to download the originals if you want to.

I know you guys will enjoy the chile and or salsa. If you're addicted now, ahem Greg, you're not alone. There's a chile addict meeting every night at El Pinto on 4th St here in Burque.
                    I've got to get out there sometime. New bucket list item
                    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
                    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

How old is that helmet?
                      Not that old really
                      Maybe 5 years old. I just have never washed the liner. Gross!
                      Current Bikes:

Comment

10 minutes you won't get back...or regret ?

Currently in the Stable :
                        2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
                        1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
                        - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

Comment

Very Nice video Wingsconsin !!

Comment

I think I'll pass on this weekend going back. Raining cats and dogs right now.
                            Current Bikes:

Comment

Originally posted by Wingsconsin View Post
                              . . . . .=youtube;. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ideo]
                              Nice Carl. Thanks.
                              Good way to show all the bikes (was 2 or 3 more down on lower level).
                              Vidio was fun to watch the wheel's shadow move from side to front to the side back to front and back to side and back and forth....

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I had a few questions, and someone asked earlier...

The GPS app I'm using is called "Locus Pro". They have a freebie "lite" version if you'd like to try it out. The Pro version is well worth the few bucks. You can load up GPX tracks and follow them, and if course it will record your path as a GPX track you can export.

AFAIK, it's Android only. I'm using a cheap Motorola phone that's water-resistant. The mount is a RAM "Quick-Grip", and I've mounted it using two rubber "sandwich" mounts from McMaster-Carr to damp vibration; I've killed the cameras in two phones, but so far things are OK with the rubber mounts.

Locus has a pretty steep learning curve, but it works beautifully once you're dialed in, and has proven extremely reliable. The main developers are German and Polish, so Googling for info if you get stuck is difficult, and there are some really bizarre translations and strange interface choices.

I store my GPX files using a folder on Google Drive, and Locus can easily access the Google Drive folder. I have a ton of tracks stored in my phone, but I use Drive to reduce the number sometimes, and it's handy for moving tracks from my computer to my phone.

Buying state maps to keep on your phone (so you don't need a data signal) is a slightly bizarre process; you have to buy a batch of "LoCoins" first, and then spend these to download state maps. These also come with elevation files that give you terrain shading. Very handy. It all still ends up very cheap.

The other major GPS app is called Osmand, and it's available in Android and iOS versions. From what I can tell, it has less of a learning curve. I had some reliability problems with it a while back, so I moved to Locus, but I would probably recommend the paid version of Osmand to most people.

There's also a paid app called "Rever" that's somehow tied to Revzilla/Cycle Gear. I've heard good things, but I haven't tried it. The main benefit, IIRC, is that people share their tracks. Rever also can give you turn-by-turn directions in your earphones if you're into that sort of thing. It's worth a look.

And no, Google Maps is NOT the same thing at all. Google Maps depends on having a cellular data connection, and of course it doesn't track your path and you can't import and export GPX files.

Lots of folks also run Locus or Osmand on an old spare phone; you don't need a data connection as long as you set up the app and download your maps and tracks using wifi. That's a good way to avoid risking damage to your expensive primary phone. Both will run fine on very old phones.

For continuous use as a GPS, the phone must be plugged into power. I use a few different ways of doing this; I've added SAE plugs to two of my bikes that are switched on via a relay when the ignition is on, paired with an SAE/USB adapter. I also have a couple of adapters with built-in volt meters, which can be handy.

My Yamaha has a cigarette lighter style outlet, so I use a charger in that. Depending on where things end up, you can buy shorter than normal USB cables on Amazon to keep things neat.
                                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                                X